Water Temperature - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 08-02-2009, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 77
Water Temperature

The water temp on my 550 went very hot after a long run, yet the Oil Temp was absolutely fine.

Is this a sign of an impending head gasket failure, or more likely faulty sensor/ thermostat/ fan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Could be a headgasket but if it's like the 456's you may be experiencing a radiator issue.

Check the oil dipstick for signs of water.

Was the cooling system drained/refilled recently? Could be it need to be bled.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 374
Do you drive it much? If not you may want to have the system flushed and refilled and properly bled.

Did it manifest while moving slow or with the car stopped? If so did the fans go off? If it's the case and the fans did not start either let it rest for a day or so and try it again to see if they go off and if it happens again and the fans don't start you should have your electrics checked.

If it happened with the car moving at proper speeds, your fans don't make a difference and then you could have a leak (your water level should go down) or a faulty radiator or even a gasket issue but I think in the last case your oil may look creamy as Gcalo mentions.

I had an overheat issue with the car stopped and it went away as it came, without intervention. For some unknown reason the fans just didn't go off once.

Good luck!

... racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting... (Steve McQueen / Le Mans)

post #4 of 14 Old 08-02-2009, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I drive it most weekends, drove it last SUnday, then again this sunday. Only noticed it at the end of the drive as I was parked on my driveway. Oil temp was near the low end of the scale and running there was no steam or any funny noises.

Should I check the dipstick when hot or cold for cloudiness?

When its cool I will check the water level of the radiator, see if thats fine. Fans appeared to be working, but certainly did not stay on once I switched the engine off, which they prob should have donw with the heat near the top of the scale.

I assume its fine top drive it as long as temp doesn't get up to top again.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
I had a similar problem on the F40 a few years ago. It was a faulty temp sensor on the radiator. Changed it and never had a problem again.

The one time I had an overheating issue in the 512 BB it was due to a blown fuse.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
I had a similar problem on the F40 a few years ago. It was a faulty temp sensor on the radiator. Changed it and never had a problem again.

The one time I had an overheating issue in the 512 BB it was due to a blown fuse.
1+
Docf
post #7 of 14 Old 08-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Owner

Does not matter when you check the oil for water but do it.

However, I think as suggested it's a fuse or a faulty sensor.

Next time you drive, shut off the vehicle when hot and then turn key to position just before start. You should hear the fans. If not you have a faulty sender, relay, or fuse.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
P.S> Ferrari charged be about $200 for the replacement temp sensor on the F40, turned out it is the same part used on a VW Rabbit/Golf and VW charges $25 for it.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Owner

Redhead Seeker needed an exhaust gasket for his Testarossa.

$3.00 and it's a Chevy part!
post #10 of 14 Old 08-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 157
Shop & SAVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
Redhead Seeker needed an exhaust gasket for his Testarossa.

$3.00 and it's a Chevy part!
For those interested in the small exhaust doughnuts ( ID 50mm) for a Testarossa, it is a FELPRO# 8194. There are quite numerous cross-reference parts for a Testarossa. Before paying an outrageous price send me a PM, if I am aware of a cross-reference #, I will pass it along, as a brief example the injectors for a Testarossa are the same ones used on a Volkswagen Rabbit.....at a FRACTION!!! of what Ferrari wants!.....Mark.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-03-2009, 02:08 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Not familiar with the 550 but do they have thermostats?? I had this problem many times with the earlier Porsche's, the thermostats were stuck wide open kept engine cool on highways when there is lots of air flow and over heated in city with diminished flow.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #12 of 14 Old 08-03-2009, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I spoke to guys at from QV London and they said often radiator hose can split, there is one that runs between the V of the engine. Unlikely to be head gasket.

And normally radiators are pretty reliable, overheating (if it is) shouldn;t damage it.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-03-2009, 07:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by relkeel View Post
I drive it most weekends, drove it last SUnday, then again this sunday. Only noticed it at the end of the drive as I was parked on my driveway. Oil temp was near the low end of the scale and running there was no steam or any funny noises.

Should I check the dipstick when hot or cold for cloudiness?

When its cool I will check the water level of the radiator, see if thats fine. Fans appeared to be working, but certainly did not stay on once I switched the engine off, which they prob should have donw with the heat near the top of the scale.

I assume its fine top drive it as long as temp doesn't get up to top again.
Checking the dipstick - cold or hot - I don't know, the water should separate from the oil and stay at the bottom of the tank when cold.

The fans are activated by the Motronic ECU, so they shut down once you cut off the ignition. I don't know if they are supposed to stay switched on if your temperature is over 115C and the engine is off.

Did you try starting the car again from cold and letting it warm up in idle to 90 to see what happens?

... racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting... (Steve McQueen / Le Mans)
post #14 of 14 Old 08-11-2009, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thoght i would post problem (which fair play to QV, they suspected it would be this when I called up - they know their stuff).

Apparently there are two radiator hoses that run between the V of the engine. As its very hot in there they can split over time, which was what happened here.

Soit was a gradual leak out of one of those. QV said unlikely to be head gasket with 550, and radiator is robust so high tempsshuoldn;t have damaged it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode