just trying to see the main problems - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-28-2009, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
just trying to see the main problems

I`ve been looking at a 360 spider
that located at musiccitymotorsports and have seen that most 360`s have low mileage is there something wrong with the cars? What are the main problems?Nearly all cars online have less than 10,000 miles so it seems like there must a serious defect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-28-2009, 06:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Yes there is a serious defect with these cars and I recommend you not buy one.

It's the low mileage. The cars are never driven!

Mine is a 2000 and it just turned 15,000 miles. It's terrible!

Trust me, you don't want one!!!
post #3 of 11 Old 07-28-2009, 08:26 PM
Owner

Now on a more serious note.

Nothing wrong with the cars.

For a long time buyers felt low miles would bring higher resale but that seems to be moot now that all values are down.

Also, with low mileage there is believed to be less maintenance but that, too, is falacious.

Ferrari's recommended services for timing belts is 3 years or 30K miles. Well we know for most it's 3 years.

These cars can be expensive to maintain. Oil changes run around $400.00.

Let me caution you before you jump to ensure you have learned a ton about the series. You need to know everything there is to consider as well as knowing all the essential questions to ask.

Due to the economy and slow sales there is a considerable # of cars with greatly deferred maintenance. This is ok if you know in advance and the sales price is adjusted accordingly.

Be careful and start learning. These cars are not Chevys.

You need a copy of Andrew's book, Ferrari Buyer's Portfolio. It can be invaluable to your search.

Get knowledgeable and ask questions.

post #4 of 11 Old 07-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy carson View Post
I`ve been looking at a 360 spider
that located at musiccitymotorsports and have seen that most 360`s have low mileage is there something wrong with the cars? What are the main problems?Nearly all cars online have less than 10,000 miles so it seems like there must a serious defect.
Per Gcalo, the only thing wrong with the 360 is that owners do not drive them enough. There are a few things to look out for but main advise is to get a solid PPI done.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-29-2009, 05:44 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Just have a look at ads in Europe. Try and find one with less than 10k miles - it is not easy.

So - QED - it's not the car, it is the American owners (predominantly). I do sense it is changing, slowly.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 11 Old 07-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 19
Ahh, the low miles conundrum...

I once had a HIGH mile Porsche (at the time I just wanted THAT car sans my good judgment) so I bought it. Good news, that was an infallible car! NOTHING went wrong, NOTHING and I drove that car quite a lot and hard. That all said, all of the "bugs" were fixed by the previous owner. He put enough miles on it to break or wear out all of the subpar parts and he experienced the headaches. I drove it without expense.

Most notably was the lack of hydraulic, coolant, oil, tranny fluid leaks. I am convinced the high miles were the saving grace as many low mile examples left puddles wherever left for a brief park.

We are carful to offer too much buying advice here at the Ferrari Market Letter. We stand behind facts like the vehicle's history and maintenance records. However, I tell guys NOT to buy the lowest mile example, same for the highest mile one... Find your car in the middle if you want a car to enjoy.

As far as collectability, DON'T buy a 360 for that! The late models are not going to yield that investment potential, they're just not. You've got to study our Asking Price Index to see where the investment trends are. We put these together twice monthly for our subscribers (you'll notice current production models are excluded)...
Attached Images

post #7 of 11 Old 07-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
oooo, ooo, pick me:

F1....not saying they are bad, but you have to know how to use them or you'll be buying even more clutches than normal....they tend to use them more...clutches that is even if you know how

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #8 of 11 Old 07-29-2009, 02:01 PM
Owner

F1's are a checkbook challenge as Rik stated.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-29-2009, 04:59 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 22
Hey, it's a depression er... recession out there. No better time than now to get that dream car. I started looking at the 360 F1 Modena with all the options about 18 months ago. Got my 2001 12K mile car from Algar Ferrari for a fair price considering I got it from a dealer. These guys on this board know their precision machines. I read everything prior to purchase.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Owner

Depression or not F1's can drain you.

Why do you think so many are now for sale!

How many 6 speeds do you see being sold?
post #11 of 11 Old 07-30-2009, 04:15 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 22
I did check into the clutch wear, 9% used according to the diagnostic. Do they get changed at 10%? Hope not.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode