I'm thinking about selling my GTBi, possible Merak trade? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 07-25-2009, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 465
I'm thinking about selling my GTBi, possible Merak trade?

Hi everyone,

I hope no one minds a "my car might be for sale" thread. I'm just kicking the idea around. I really don't know if I want to sell it or not.

I've had issues with my left knee in the past, and the 308's clutch pedal (it's heavy, plus the angle) is starting to bother it. I've been driving the 308 a lot (almost daily) this summer; it didn't bother my knee before because I hadn't been driving it that much. I had the same thing happen (being irritated by a clutch pedal) about 11-12 years ago, and after a lot of wasted time in doctors' offices, the problem went away after I switched from a Fiero to a 944 as daily transport. That was a long time ago, and I had more or less forgotten about it and thought my knee was fine, but now it's like deja vu with the 308.

I'm captivated by the 308's beauty and craftsmanship, and the engine is so sweet and smooth, but ultimately my physical condition is more important, and it just isn't fun to me to keep something that I know I can't enjoy fully and without reservation.

So, I'm thinking about selling. I like the GTBi. I waited a long time (close to 3 years) for the right car, and I always envisioned keeping this car as kind of a family heirloom. It has a solidity about it that the GTS models don't have that makes me feel that way. And the curves are so perfect and classic, and the details and craftsmanship in both the body and interior give it a sense of splendor that few cars have.

On the other hand, I've been servicing a Maserati Merak for someone, and that has rekindled my interest in obtaining one of my own. I've come very close to buying a Merak on a few occasions in the past; I've always adored them. I feel I really must have some kind of Italian car, and the Merak -- taking the role of a bit more of a relaxed grand tourer without losing the excitement of a mid-engined sports car -- would be a nice complement to my Esprits.

So I'm debating -- keep 308, sell 308 and buy Merak (trade, anyone?), or just sell and have one fewer car to look after (I have seven classics at the moment).

I'll be honest -- "should I sell" threads are thinly veiled classified ads. As undecided or "only thinking about it" as an owner might be, no one posts a "should I sell" thread without hoping, in part at least, that a buyer might help them decide. The best way to buy a good example of a car is to wrest one from the hands of a caring owner. You guys (active members and lurkers of FerrariLife) have first crack at it (I'm not going to post a thread like this on the other forum). If anyone really wants one, now might be a good time to try me. I won't give away a good car that I adore, but I will be realistic about the price.

- Tony

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi

Last edited by Tony K; 07-25-2009 at 05:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 07-25-2009, 08:20 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 114
308 is much better car! Owned a 77 way back then and it was beautiful and rock solid. The Merak was a so so car in its day and less today. A service headache with no power etc. I am a below left knee amputee who has had many problems since my accident 2007, but never will I sell my Viper, Porsche 356 or 66 Cobra. Talk about clutch?? I admit current Ferrari is a paddle shift and the BKA certainly influenced tranny as would have much preferred a 6 speed, but !! Currently I am attempting to fly again and my next endeavor is you got it -- Stick shift. It is a pain I must endore. I can't remember the clutch as being overly stiff on the 308, but then again was a different era and I was young. Maybe positioning your left leg with professional help would be a better option, then can have the seat adjusted to new profile etc. so as to give less knee action. Did something like that on the plane last week whereby could not muster enough strength for left full rudder , then break . You'll be disappointed I'm sure if you sell and replace with the Merak!
Docf
post #3 of 28 Old 07-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
I'd let the knee heal until you make a final decision.

That 308 is a beauty and you may later regret selling it.

A Mistral is a tricky car.

Remember that the devil you know is always better than the devil you don't know!

post #4 of 28 Old 07-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 157
Boast the economy

Tony; If you want to help solve the national debt....Buy the Merak....underpowered, overpriced...highly unreliable, and try finding parts. Just ask yourself....When was the last time you saw one on the road????, There is a simple answer for that.....Not printable here though....Mark.
post #5 of 28 Old 07-25-2009, 01:12 PM
Owner

Good suggestions from Mark but he should now be outside with the camera to show us all the options he just finished doing!!!
post #6 of 28 Old 07-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Owner

Top Secert...no pictures please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
Good suggestions from Mark but he should now be outside with the camera to show us all the options he just finished doing!!!
All improvements need to be copyrighted and patent pending before being available for public viewing. Greg all kidding aside, I am quite the innovator and fabricator,but when it comes to the computer I am "not" exactly Bill Gates. I will try to post the pictures of the improvements I spoke to you about, it is in a word "remarkable" as to the difference in performance...Like driving and listening to a whole different car. I very much look forward to meeting you and others at the next gathering in Dublin (Bay Area)(not Ireland)......Mark.
post #7 of 28 Old 07-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Owner

I am presently presenting the PTO a patent application for my transmission cooler! That's legit.

However, bring it on. Love to see it.

August 8!
post #8 of 28 Old 07-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Tony, I don't know much about the Merak other than it was never my school boy dream to own one, and I'm sure it was the same for millions of other people too. The Maser is a good looking car, but the 308 is the ultimate car in its class from its age, and still gorgeous today. I've had my 308 for about 3 months now, and sure it isn't easy to drive compared to a modern car, and I wouldn't want to use it every day. However, that's what keeps it special for me, all week long I look forward to the weekend so that I can take my baby out. After 2 hours in it, I've had enough and it's time to put it away, but boy do I look forward to the next time.

Archie
post #9 of 28 Old 07-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
Tony, I don't know much about the Merak other than it was never my school boy dream to own one, and I'm sure it was the same for millions of other people too. The Maser is a good looking car, but the 308 is the ultimate car in its class from its age, and still gorgeous today. I've had my 308 for about 3 months now, and sure it isn't easy to drive compared to a modern car, and I wouldn't want to use it every day. However, that's what keeps it special for me, all week long I look forward to the weekend so that I can take my baby out. After 2 hours in it, I've had enough and it's time to put it away, but boy do I look forward to the next time.
+1 I agree with Archie I believe in time you will regret your decision if you decide to do it. If you can have both but not a Ferrari for a Maser.

Now if you were selling to trade up to a 348 then go for it

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #10 of 28 Old 07-26-2009, 11:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
Now if you were selling to trade up to a 348 then go for it
Not such a silly suggestion. I would seriously consider, if you can find the funds, to upgrade to an F355 which has a very light clutch. I have not driven the 348, but the 328 is also a bit easier to drive than a 308 if I remember correctly, and so I would the 348 to fall in between.

Best of luck. But I agree with others that the Merak is possibly not the right option for you.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #11 of 28 Old 07-27-2009, 06:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
The Merak's big brother, the Bora, might be tempting: V8, 4.7/4.9 quad cam with quad Webbers derived from the mighty 450S, stainless steel roof, only 571 built to take on the Miura. Nice comparison test between Pantera and Bora in latest Classic & Sportscar. They found the Bora to be sublime, more of a tourer than the overtly sporting Pantera.

Maranello.nl where my 308 GTB was fettled, have a very nice Bora in yellow. Given the comments in Classic & Sportscar about the Bora being refined and my bonding with the 308 on FLED 2 where I found my 308 to be a fast, exciting and hardcore Ferrari with unbelievable handling, I would not trade for the Bora. Performance wise there does not seem to be much difference between my 308 (vetroresina) and the Bora-light and agile 308 versus brute force of the much heavier Bora. At the moment the asking prices of Bora's seem to be higher than those for vetroresina's, but I think that position could be reversed.
post #12 of 28 Old 07-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Owner

Mike Tyson vrs a 3rd Grader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalone View Post
The Merak's big brother, the Bora, might be tempting: V8, 4.7/4.9 quad cam with quad Webbers derived from the mighty 450S, stainless steel roof, only 571 built to take on the Miura. Nice comparison test between Pantera and Bora in latest Classic & Sportscar. They found the Bora to be sublime, more of a tourer than the overtly sporting Pantera.

Maranello.nl where my 308 GTB was fettled, have a very nice Bora in yellow. Given the comments in Classic & Sportscar about the Bora being refined and my bonding with the 308 on FLED 2 where I found my 308 to be a fast, exciting and hardcore Ferrari with unbelievable handling, I would not trade for the Bora. Performance wise there does not seem to be much difference between my 308 (vetroresina) and the Bora-light and agile 308 versus brute force of the much heavier Bora. At the moment the asking prices of Bora's seem to be higher than those for vetroresina's, but I think that position could be reversed.
Tony, Besides owning my "Redhead" 1991, I also own a 1972 Detomaso Pantera, to describe the Pantera in one word "Rocketship", that car in my opinion is the best of "3" worlds...Beautiful coachwork by Ghia, powerful and reliable 351 4V Cleveland, and the best transmission ever built the "ZF"....Many a "Car" has seen the brakelights of my Pantera...Car set up properly does an "Honest" 150mph ( I have been radared at a race track at 150mph) after that speed the car starts to experience "frontend float"...time to back off. The comparison as to a Miura vrs Bora...I had to pause....I was laughing soooo hard...You could buy 4 Bora's for the price of one "Miura". AHHHHHH the Miura!...let me repeat...AHHHHHH the Miura!.....Mark.
post #13 of 28 Old 07-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Owner

We're starting to talk seriously more cash here, now. The Bora is beautiful but a good one is quite a bit more expensive than a 308GTSi. Same with the Pantera, and let's not even talk about the Miura.

I love all of those cars though - what a great time that was! The Pantera was pimped into Lambo country (which I hate) but the early ones without the spoilers are really beautiful. Wonder what they are like to drive. Sort of a cross between my TVR and my Boxer, I'm guessing.

Now that we've digressed - I also love the Mangusta, although that apparently was a bit of a dog to drive. Looks great, though!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #14 of 28 Old 07-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
which knee? F1 can help there

what's with all the Merak envy all of a sudden? seen this desire to trade perfectly good examples of 3x8's for Merak in last couple days....

something I don't know...I mean, doc seems to know the scoop

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #15 of 28 Old 07-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
I love all of those cars though - what a great time that was! The Pantera was pimped into Lambo country (which I hate) but the early ones without the spoilers are really beautiful. Wonder what they are like to drive. Sort of a cross between my TVR and my Boxer, I'm guessing.

Onno
It's interesting you saying that. I hadn't given it much thought before, but it is absolutely right. A couple of years ago I went to an Italian car show, there were two pimped out and chrome engine bay Pantera's next to a couple of 25 anniversary Countach's. I did notice that both marques had exactly the same rear spoiler. I've always prefered the Pantera to the Countach, the Countach has always looked like the illegitimate offspring of an Armadillo and a tank.

Archie
post #16 of 28 Old 07-27-2009, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 465
Well, I do appreciate everyone's responses!

It's my left knee . . .

Obviously, I'm more of a fan of Meraks than anyone else here!

I wouldn't do a straight trade of my 308 for a Merak; I'd expect some cash for an equivalent condition car -- I know what each is worth. But the Merak does suit my tastes and interests.

But it definitely is less work to hold on to a 308 than it is to sell it; and while all dollars are the same, 308s are all different, and finding another well-sorted one is a challenge . . . easier to get more money than it is to get back a particular car you wish you wouldn't have sold . . . I think I'll just let the 308 sit in the garage for a while and buy another 944. . . they make great, stress-free transport . . .

By the way, another fun photo (my GTBi and the Merak I've been servicing):

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi

Last edited by Tony K; 07-27-2009 at 01:51 PM.
post #17 of 28 Old 07-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Owner

Don't get me wrong, the Merak is a very nice car...two models IIRC...and that one with the butress/D-pillar[?] was the one I'm thinking, but what happened? did everyone view an old 'gotta have it' Discover channel doc this weekend?

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #18 of 28 Old 07-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Owner

I really like the Merak too, but it's my understanding that they are really rather slow. Don't know from experience - perhaps they're a lot better than their reputation.

Onno

post #19 of 28 Old 07-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Owner

Doc says no.

as for slow

nicest slow car out there.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #20 of 28 Old 07-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Owner

Tony

Do you really kneed to make this decision now?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode