My worst F1 Ferrari moment!!! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-08-2009, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 89
My worst F1 Ferrari moment!!!

I was just on a thread regarding the F1 special issue of brake pressure, and slip to neutral. It reminded me of the first day I got my Ferrari, and driving her home for the first time. It was just before sundown on a beautiful California Sunday! I just finalized the sale of my 355 F1, and the first time driving her home while laughing, crying, screaming, freaking, and I think I peed my pants. I just turned off the freeway and at a major intersection when it happens. That dreaded beep, and then slip to neutral. Can you imagine a salesman not informing a first time Ferrari buyer about this issue? Go Figure. My tears of joy, quickly turned to tears of terror!
Attached Images

"LIFE IS SHORT, I'LL HAVE ANOTHER FERRARI SOME DAY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 71
Nice car!

What a fantastic car you've got there. The 355F1 has got to be one of the most beautiful, best driving and generally most significant Ferraris ever built. "S" "T" or "B"?? Lucky you my friend!

It's easy to avoid the F1 slipping into neutral by simply never sending mixed signals (pressing both gas and brake) or no signals (pressing neither) to the thing when near stopped. Be pressing either the gas or the brake whenever going slowly -- just that simple.

Again, great car in a great color!

"Fear of guns is a sure sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis, 1906.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,204
Um, yes, I can believe a Ferrari Salesman not informing one of 'things'. Bought my first from Ferrari of SF and pulling away noticed the brake light go on: Parking brake.

Quickly turned about and came back and he showed me how to operate. Sorry, should have known from other cars, but I was so excited and not familiar with Ferraris that I have no idea and began to freak, also.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

post #4 of 14 Old 07-08-2009, 05:32 PM
CDF
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 63
Every Ferrari owner should experience one embarrassing moment, just to see what it feels like.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDF View Post
Every Ferrari owner should experience one embarrassing moment, just to see what it feels like.
+1, I stalled the 365 BB a few times at busy intersections when I first got it.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
+1, I stalled the 365 BB a few times at busy intersections when I first got it.
On the way back from Switzerland, the 330GTC got very hot in a heavy traffic jam. I pulled over to let it cool down. Half an hour later, I join the queue again but I pulled in front of a truck driver that was angry and he started flashing me. I forgot the throttle for a moment, the revs dropped, the engine died, and on restart it vapour locked. Having just pulled into the queue, I had to push the car onto the hard shoulder...

Didn't make me feel very good but I'm sure the truck driver was smiling.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 14 Old 07-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Just had one, showing the car off I pop the engine lid to show the engine and I rev it manual from behind a few times, there were lot of oooooh and aaaaaaah, so then they say jump in we want to take pics as you drive away so I do so taking my time waving goodbye to people then realizing I have no gas pedal it is right to the floor.....DOH! as I revved it I pulled the cable off the pulley, so now I had to get out open the lid again and readjust the cable while people stood and giggled...

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #8 of 14 Old 07-09-2009, 02:56 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
On the way back from Switzerland, the 330GTC got very hot in a heavy traffic jam. I pulled over to let it cool down. Half an hour later, I join the queue again but I pulled in front of a truck driver that was angry and he started flashing me. I forgot the throttle for a moment, the revs dropped, the engine died, and on restart it vapour locked. Having just pulled into the queue, I had to push the car onto the hard shoulder...

Didn't make me feel very good but I'm sure the truck driver was smiling.

Onno
Know the feeling, I had the 308 GTB stall and vapour lock on me once when I was on the main shopping street in Madrid.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-09-2009, 03:03 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 77
Can someone sum up vapour lock for me? (vapour not vapor for the English amongst us!)

Is it a carborettor thign as I never hear about it in modern cars.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-09-2009, 04:12 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,291
Definition of Vapour Lock :

Vapor lock (also known as vapour lock) is a problem that mostly affects gasoline-fueled internal combustion engines. It occurs when the liquid fuel changes state from liquid to gas while still in the fuel delivery system. This disrupts the operation of the fuel pump, causing loss of feed pressure to the carburetor or fuel injection system, resulting in transient loss of power or complete stalling. Restarting the engine from this state may be difficult. The fuel can vaporise due to being heated by the engine, by the local climate or due to a lower boiling point at high altitude. In regions where higher volatility fuels are used during the winter to improve the starting of the engine, the use of "winter" fuels during the summer can cause vapor lock to occur more readily.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-09-2009, 06:01 AM
Owner

To refine Mike's excellent post: it usually happens in carburettor-fueled engines. Basically what happens is a) that because the engine is so hot the fuel evaporates before it reaches the combustion chamber, causing the engine not to fire when cranked. This can happen because carburettors are basically mixing cauldrons to mix air and fuel, which happens outside the engine. To compensate the engine firing, the driver keeps adding more fuel, until b) he adds so much fuel that it floods the engine. This causes the spark plugs to become wet so the engine won't fire at all anymore. The only solution is to wait for the engine to cool down and the plugs to become dry.

Because fuel injection only releases the fuel into the combustion chamber, it practically impossible for vapour lock to occur in an injected engine.

Vapour lock is much more likely to occur to unexperienced drivers of carburetted cars, but it can happen to anyone, particularly when at altitude. It happened to me during FLED2 on the Furka pass, while the car was driving high revs! This was because it was a combination of heated engine and lower boiling point at 2.5kms altitude.

At least, this is my understanding of the issue - if there's any inaccuracies, let me know. Always keen to learn.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #12 of 14 Old 07-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Owner

Have a couple more:

The 348/Mondal T had after long, hot, runs the ability after a brief stop to not, start right up: the solenoid would get too hot and you couldn't feed the starter IIRC.
Solution is to have a 'booster' of sorts from the key-ignition switch feed a stronger current to the starter area.

However, until that is rectified, one would after a long nice run...park to enjoy [something] get back in, turn the key, and not even get a clicking, like low battery to the starter etc. Don't care how much one tried, it was a total zero anything. You would typically let the car sit and after a period of time [if cool outside....never the luck] the car would turn over. There were times I'd park, say at the supermarket for some quick raw oysters, cheese, wine, anchovie stuffed olives and pickeled garlic [gawd do I sound hungry?], quince and a finishing bottle of 'champagne' only to come out and sit with all llllll these goodies getting hot as I couldn't START THE CAR.

Until the fix

solution was to pretend talking on the cell-phone and adjusting some reading material.

oh, well....wait till I tell you about a faulty alternator and running the car all day on a battery charge only...later.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #13 of 14 Old 07-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Owner

It was a bit difficult to dissect your story, Rik, but I've now deduced that the embarrasment was that you needed the oysters. Right?

Onno

post #14 of 14 Old 07-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Owner

ouch.......ok, but don't tell the wife.....she thinks it's because I'm Italian

bella ciao

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version