Traction control on Ferrari's - benefits v disadvantages - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-29-2009, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 603
Traction control on Ferrari's - benefits v disadvantages

As per thread title, the benefits and disadvatages of TC in Ferrari's.

I'm considering installing an adjustable Racelogic TC system in my 348 and would like to know what others think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-29-2009, 08:23 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 92
I've been wondering about this for quite some time now but what does anyone think about the ASR in the 360? I think it comes on wayyyy too soon, is there a way to change this? Perhaps if you turn on the "sport" button it will cut in later?

Sorry to hijack this topic, but I thought I'd post it here since it's a topic about ferraris and TC
post #3 of 9 Old 06-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 77
I know on my 550, in normal mode TC will cut in as soon as it detects any form of slip. THis is perfect in the wet/ damp, but does get annoying when its dry. A switch to sport mode sorts this out.

Although word of warning, in the wet Sport mode is virtually superfluous, with the amount of slip it allows the car will likely be too far out of shape to do anythign useful.

post #4 of 9 Old 06-29-2009, 10:26 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelis View Post
As per thread title, the benefits and disadvatages of TC in Ferrari's.

I'm considering installing an adjustable Racelogic TC system in my 348 and would like to know what others think.
The 348 is very well balanced as is. Would not bother putting in a TC system.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-30-2009, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by relkeel View Post
I know on my 550, in normal mode TC will cut in as soon as it detects any form of slip. THis is perfect in the wet/ damp, but does get annoying when its dry. A switch to sport mode sorts this out.

Although word of warning, in the wet Sport mode is virtually superfluous, with the amount of slip it allows the car will likely be too far out of shape to do anythign useful.
The kit I've just ordered is higly configurable. So we'll be able to set it to the way I want it. With the added benefit of switching it off and on whenever I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
The 348 is very well balanced as is. Would not bother putting in a TC system.
Depends on what other mods are going to be done to it.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by relkeel View Post
I have to disagree with that. I find the traction control in my 550 far too slow in the wet, and I always switch it off. I've had the traction control come in after I had already corrected the slide... I prefer to have my own brain control the car - the ASR is way too dumb.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 9 Old 06-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:

Depends on what other mods are going to be done to it.
Best item you can spend money on upgrading are the driving skills of the squishy water based thing that sits behind the steering wheel.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-01-2009, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Best item you can spend money on upgrading are the driving skills of the squishy water based thing that sits behind the steering wheel.
I posted this elsewhere ... but it answers your comment.

I've been considering doing it for a while now and have talked it over with a few people. Some people think I shouldn't do it, some people think it's a great idea and others are interested in finding out how it works out and may install it as well.

Firstly, the racelogic TC is a fully adjustable system one and can be custom programmed to a particular car or driver. It can be switched off by simply pushing a button. So at trackdays or Airfield days I have the option to use or not use.

It is better than the system in the 360. (The guy who runs Racelogic owned a 360 in the past)

My insurance company don't have a problem with it as it's a "safety device".

The system will be used mainly on the public roads. I've only lost control of the backend a couple of times in the past... but it only takes one incident to wreck a car or kill yourself or someone else.

We live in the UK where it rains all the time. I drive my 348 in all weather so using TC in adverse conditions comes in handy.

It has launch control as well... although it's unlikely I'll be using that very often.

I'll be doing further modifications to my 348 in the course of the year and trying to hit the 400bhp mark. So TC for me is a must. Besides, Boxsters and exiges have Traction control and they have less power than non modified 348's.

I'm sure there are drivers on thsi forum who can drive faster without TC. Unfortunatly, i'm not one of them. So if it can make me a little faster then it all helps.

I like doing airfield days and trackdays in the rain. Best trackday I ever did was at brands hatch indy circuit. I was the only Ferrari there amongst Elise/Exiges. It was my first time at Brands and the rain was so heavy that there was a stream of water at the bottom of paddock hill. I was lapped by all the other cars... but it was the most fun I've ever had and I was scared ****less on the day. I would have killed for TC on that day. How many of you would do a track day in the rain in your Ferrari??? How many 355's went off at silverstone recently in the rain.

Lastly... the price. Cost is only 1,000 plus fitting. Much cheaper than continuously changing my car for the next faster/better/flashier model and I can build a Ferrari that is perfect for me.

PS. The stripes going back on next year
post #9 of 9 Old 07-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
PS. The stripes going back on next year
The stripe, I am fully on board with.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page