Breakaway GP series - where should they race? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-20-2009, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Breakaway GP series - where should they race?

With talk of a new GP series next year, just wondered where you think they should race?

The teams have said they would like to race in countries where there is a market for their cars and in countries where there is a fan base who will watch, and can afford to watch it.

No doubt there will be some far eastern or middle eastern money used to fund it, so that may also sway the decision on where to race.

There is also the politics of, if the track is used for F1, will the FIA and FOM prevent the track from being used for the new series.

Personally I would like to see the history of GP racing in certain countries preserved, as well as taking into account the countries where the teams and drivers are from (subject to there being suitable venues - Finland could be interesting, it could be a GP/Rally crossover with 4wd GP cars doing the forest jumps and gravel sections)

For me I'd like to see it in the following places:

Australia - Melbourne or Adelaide
Brazil - Must be more than one track?
Japan - Fuji or Suzuka
Monaco
France
Italy
San Marino ???
Great Britain - Silverstone
USA - Should be at least 2 GP's a year to try and crack the US market
Canada
South Africa
Portugal
Spain
Belgium
Germany
Hungary
Holland
Hong Kong or Macau
Somewhere in the Gulf to keep the paymasters happy

Can you think of any alternatives?

Archie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-20-2009, 01:18 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
the only track in Brazil that has the structure to receive a F1 or similar race is Interlagos, Archie, so if the FIA does not allow the new series to come to Interlagos I'm afraid there won't be a Brazilian race

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #3 of 13 Old 06-21-2009, 04:11 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
The FIA does not own any of the tracks so it should be difficult for them to block FOTA from holding events where they would like. If the FIA tried, FOTA could sue in the EU under anti-competition laws.

post #4 of 13 Old 06-21-2009, 06:35 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 532
Archie you pretty much hit them all on the dot i am actually getting excited that the FOTA might be making a runoff serie, i cant immagine what the sport will be like with the teams making the rules, duh lol

I want to Race.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-22-2009, 12:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 332
I don't think the breakaway will happen in the end, although I sincerely hope it does as I have long hated the various directions F1 has been going in.

As I understand it the deals that FOM have with circuits are not exclusive - and you wouldn't expect them to be really as most circuits would expect to run other race series.

Bearing that in mind and being realistic as to the state of various tracks and what is possible in the time available, my favoured races for next year would be (in no particular order):

1) Australia - Adelaide (vastly superior race track to Melbourne that usually produces tedious races).
2) Brazil - Interlagos (I don't believe the Jacrepagua circuit at Rio, which hosted the Brazilian GP in the 1980s is currently capable of hosting a GP)
3) Canada - Montreal (the only reason there isn't an F1 race there this year is Ecclestone's greed)
4) France - Magny Cours (Paul Ricard is owned by Ecclestone and is no longer set up for spectators. A French GP is important and there isn't another suitable circuit that I can think of in France at the moment although Dijon, Clermont-Ferrand etc. have been used in the past).
5) Monaco - Monte Carlo
6) San Marino - Imola (All races in Italy are wonderful and Imola is a great track in fantastic location with a magic atmosphere)
7) Great Britain - Silverstone (I hate Silverstone and haven't bothered going to the GP there for a very long time but I don't believe Donington will be in any fit state and whilst I adore Brands it probably isn't GP standard either at the moment)
8) Germany - Nurburging (I don't much like either the new Nurburgring or the travesty that is Hockenheim these days...)
9) Belgium - Spa Francorchamps (One of the great tracks)
10) Italy - Monza (My favourite race. At no race track I have visited is the history so palpable)
11) Japan - Suzuka (Another brilliant track and leagues ahead of Fuji)
12) Malaysia - Kuala Lumpar (I'm not exactly fond of any of the Tilke autodrones but Malaysia is probably the best of a bad lot and is part of the geography making a World Championship)
13) USA - Long Beach (Used to have a great fan base until Ecclestone made the race too expensive. Besides, I love the backdrop of the Queen Mary and even in its current guise the track is entertaining)
14) Spain - Montmelo (It's a shame most of the recent GPs in Barcelona have been fairly dull. Too much testing there, I think. I went to the first GP there in 1991 and it was a brilliant race - amazing battle between Mansell and Senna - and a really good track)
15) Argentina - Buenos Aires (I understand this has been mooted as a possible. A good crowd would be guaranteed. I don't know the current state of the track but it last held a GP in 1998).

That leaves two or three spaces that I can't immediately think of. I would quite happily see the back of Turkey, Valencia and Singapore. I am ambivalent about Hungary, China, Bahrain and Indianapolis. Don't know about Abu Dhabi yet but I'm not terribly optimistic. I mourn the loss of Zandvoort, Osterreichring, Kyalami and Watkins Glen but don't believe they are in a fit state for a GP return. I would love to see a US GP at Road America - by some margin the best track in the USA - but I don't think it would be of the right standard presently (and I certainly wouldn't want it descrated for the sake of a GP).

Jonathan
post #6 of 13 Old 06-22-2009, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Great reply JT, you probably know as much about the venues as anyone. Agree with all of your choices, I am not a big fan of the middle and far eastern tracks except Japan, although I do like the idea of holding Singapore at night

Archie
post #7 of 13 Old 06-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
Infineon so I can get there and out in five min......I'll bring the cases of wine variety, except you Greg: V8 for you....Chris' A&W float...you got to be back in school

Seriously, they could put together a TRUE racing venue for a lot less and pull away from FOTA and make Bernie work for his allimony and Mosley get a new set of whip-babes....this time dressed up like track gals but in tattered clothing [wait, that sounds kind of nice ... sort of a NASCAR meets F1 ]

Speaking of which, I live in Sonoma...heard there was some sort of race there yesterday

PS: Archie,.....FIA may not own the tracks but guess who the 900# monkey in the room is....they'll get their way

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #8 of 13 Old 06-22-2009, 11:07 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
Great reply JT, you probably know as much about the venues as anyone. Agree with all of your choices, I am not a big fan of the middle and far eastern tracks except Japan, although I do like the idea of holding Singapore at night
I can't say I entirely agree with you about Singapore. Although an intersting experiment, it just seemed too much like watching a video game to me and I would certainly hate them to go that way for more than the one race. Also a bit of a shame not to be able to see the backdrop of Singapore which might have been quite interesting.

Jonathan
post #9 of 13 Old 06-23-2009, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Monaco will always be the ultimate street circuit, but at least Singapore is trying to be different. One night race a year is enough though.
Valencia was the most boring race of last season

Archie
post #10 of 13 Old 06-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Monaco will always be the ultimate street circuit, but at least Singapore is trying to be different. One night race a year is enough though.
Valencia was the most boring race of last season
+1, Valencia is horrible and should be dropped. How you can have a race in Valencia and not Imola is beyond me.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-24-2009, 03:57 PM

The FIA finally realized that they couldn't survive without the motor giants

World Council accepts FOTA's proposals

Maranello, 24th June 2009 Today the FIA World Council accepted the proposals formulated by FOTA for the 2010 Formula 1 World Championship. A Championship, which will be held, as suggested by FOTA, in the spirit of sporting and technological competition, with clear and fixed rules and transparent governance, handled by the F1 Commission. The objective is to avoid continual changes decided on by one person alone and to gradually reduce costs, to get back to levels of spending similar to those of the early Nineties within the next two years. The FOTA teams constantly promoted these objectives in the interests of motorsport and all its protagonists, first and foremost the fans.

I want to Race.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-25-2009, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Now they've kissed and made up, looks like we'll still have races in places where the Governments give Bernie the biggest cheque.

Archie
post #13 of 13 Old 06-27-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Now they've kissed and made up, looks like we'll still have races in places where the Governments give Bernie the biggest cheque.
haha

I want to Race.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode