Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
F1 faces split as eight teams break away

Source

Quote:
F1 faces split as eight teams break away

By Roger Blitz
Published: June 19 2009 08:32 | Last updated: June 19 2009 09:43

Formula One was plunged into its worst crisis in its 60-year history on Friday after eight teams announced they would set up a rival championship, saying Max Mosley, the head of motorsport’s regulator, had ignored their demands over his controversial budget cap plans and had tried to drive a wedge between them.

The dramatic decision, announced in a lengthy statement from the Formula One Teams Association (Fota) came on the eve of practice for Sunday’s British Grand Prix and a deadline for entries for next year’s championship.
Mr Mosley, president of the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile, demanded a £40m budget cap on teams to prevent what he called a ”financial arms race”. But the plan, which involved two sets of regulations for teams, depending on whether they spent above or below the budget cap, threatened the business models of leading teams such as Ferrari and McLaren.

In its statement, Fota said it had ”genuinely sought compromise” with the FIA and Bernie Ecclestone, F1’s commercial supremo, against a backdrop of a ”campaign to divide” the Fota members.

”It has become clear, however, the teams cannot continue to compromise on the fundamental values of the sport and have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 world championship,” Fota said.
Its rival championship would have ”transparent governance” and a single set of regulations, as well as offer ticket prices lower than those in F1.
Fota claimed its series would attract ”the major drivers, stars, brands, sponsors, promoters and companies historically associated with the highest level of motorsport”.

Though many in the sport have reservations about the ability of the teams to run a rival series, few would question how entrenched the positions of the two sides have become.

The negotiations have been plagued by a series of leaks of correspondence between Fota and the FIA and rows over whether or not the teams were already legally committed to next year’s championship.

Fota’s members are Brawn GP, Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, Toyota, BMW Sauber, Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso. Williams and Force India were thrown out of Fota after they signed unconditional terms with the FIA.
Three new teams will join F1 next year, though several more will now look to fill the gaps left by the Fota members if they follow through with their breakaway plans.

FIA said the deadline for 2010 entries expired on Friday evening and the list for next season would be announced on Saturday.

”We are disappointed but not surprised by Fota’s inability to reach a compromise in the best interests of the sport,” the FIA said in response.
”It is clear that elements within Fota have sought this outcome throughout the prolonged period of negotiation and have not engaged in the discussions in good faith.

“The FIA cannot permit a financial arms race in the championship nor can the FIA allow Fota to dictate the rules of Formula One.”

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2009
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Hard to see how F1 will survive with Williams, Force India and new teams with no experience or money.

I was at Silverstone today for the practice day, and it wasn't hard to see who the fans went to watch. 75% of the people were wearing Ferrari or McLaren clothing, maybe another 20% were in Brawn GP caps and shirts, and the other 5% was made up of the rest.

Fans will leave F1 in droves and watch the new series, the name doesn't matter, they want to see the best teams and the best drivers in the best series.

A much simpler solution would be to force Mad Max to retire and for Bernie to share the money out fairer rather than keeping 50% for himself, and for him to stop his one man quest to remove tracks that won't pay him over the odds to hold a race.

It would also make far more sense to hold races in countries where fans can afford to watch and where they have the tracks and infrastructure - USA, Canada, France and Silverstone, possibly Holland and South Africa too.

Archie
post #3 of 6 Old 06-19-2009, 05:39 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
+1 to everything you said, Archie!

I think this break up will be bad for everyone, just like when Indy broke into IRL and CART

post #4 of 6 Old 06-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 300
I don't know fellows i've always love watching the F1 since i was 3 years old no joke but this could be a beginning of some good you never know!
Stay positive and see how this turn out after all these 8 teams are no ordinary teams i'm sure they can figure it out, they did mentioned the tickets would be cheaper for everybody as well so this is good for the public.
Ever since Senna pasted away and now Schmac retired there really isn't much left to cherish, well it lasted 60 years looks like is time for a change, F1 is just a name.

Cheers
D
post #5 of 6 Old 06-20-2009, 03:09 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lee View Post
I don't know fellows i've always love watching the F1 since i was 3 years old no joke but this could be a beginning of some good you never know!
Stay positive and see how this turn out after all these 8 teams are no ordinary teams i'm sure they can figure it out, they did mentioned the tickets would be cheaper for everybody as well so this is good for the public.
Ever since Senna pasted away and now Schmac retired there really isn't much left to cherish, well it lasted 60 years looks like is time for a change, F1 is just a name.

Cheers
D
Personally F1 has always been about the Teams. If Ferrari, McLaren, etc set up a new series, that is what I will follow next year. Could care less about Bernie and Mad Max.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
The latest from that little sh1t Ecclestone is that Silverstone will be a back up for 2010 if Donington isn't ready. Donington won't be ready, everyone knows it, why can't he just say that the British GP will continue to be held at Silverstone. I really can't see what the issue with Silverstone is It is a great circuit, has a good infrastructure, has the experience of catering for over 200000 people over the GP weekend. I've been there for the last 3 British GP weekends and am always impressed with the way it is run. It is also important from a historical point of view, and listening to drivers being interviewed they all say they like the track.

Archie

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode