Testa. as promised - Ferrari Life
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-08-2009, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
Ferrari Life Posts: 114
Testa. as promised

The 88 Testa was purchased when the 89 Models had just come out after the sale of my Boxer pictured " new to the site". This is the first car I ever purchased thinking of investment rather than buying a car I wanted. It was the first that I really lost money on and did not enjoy. It was a true Garage queen. The car was too much of a tank compared to the other Ferraris had prev. owned. I was also influenced by watching too much Miami vice and the death of Enzo. This was my tribute to Enzo as it was manufactored approx. 1 week prior to his death in Aug. 1988. No Ferrari addict knew what was going to happen to the Marque. Visions of Fiat/Ferrai were abound. Would Ferrari lose it's way?? There was no hint of a son around the corner!! Still wonder?? The car was striking in white with fawn interior. Actually had a furrier make Mouton seat covers of the same color. So if someone out there bought this car in America in Tampa Bay/Miami area approx year 2000 let me know please.
Docf
Attached Images
   
docf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 06-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Thanks for sharing the Testa pics Doc I'm not a fan of white cars, but it does look striking in white. The TR was a very imposing car, probably due to it's width and the side strakes, it is one of the few Ferraris that can wear white.

Interesting reading that you didn't really take to it after your Boxer. How did it drive, handle and perform compared to your BBi?

Even after 25 years I'm still undecided about Testa's and TR's. Some times I really dont like them, then I'll see one at a show and perhaps if I catch sight at the right angle I think that I would quite like one. I think the later Testa's and 512 TR's look 10 times better than the early models, but I'd still have a Boxer if the money was available.

Archie
archiegibbs is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 06-09-2009, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
Ferrari Life Posts: 114
testa

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
Thanks for sharing the Testa pics Doc I'm not a fan of white cars, but it does look striking in white. The TR was a very imposing car, probably due to it's width and the side strakes, it is one of the few Ferraris that can wear white.

Interesting reading that you didn't really take to it after your Boxer. How did it drive, handle and perform compared to your BBi?

Even after 25 years I'm still undecided about Testa's and TR's. Some times I really dont like them, then I'll see one at a show and perhaps if I catch sight at the right angle I think that I would quite like one. I think the later Testa's and 512 TR's look 10 times better than the early models, but I'd still have a Boxer if the money was available.
Archiegibbs, the Testa was bulky, almost sedan like when compared to the 512BBi. It was extremely wide and had a heavy feeling to drive. Actually had heat and air condition controls for both passenger and driver activated by gagetry in the center consol. This also controlled the amt. of air you or your passenger received. Yes I know todays have similar, but this was kind of different for a real ferrari in those times. It still made the right sounds,but even that was different . The gait per all Ferraris was clunky when shifting. That so called easy for service to work on plateform Ferrari claimed as a bonus to engine easy accesses was a expensive joke! Washing was somewhat difficult as those side rakes held dirt and water. The glovebox with the electomag release was known for sticking with no release. Brakes were so so and expensive to work on and front rotars failed easily. Front bonnet gas struts were flimsy and almost always broken. Electronic seat belts were good for a hanging!
The 512 TR was a better improved car,but also more expensive. It was limited in production. I have never driven one , but must confess I had no desire. Before the market collapsed at that time for high end exotics time I did have a new F-40 ordered, but thank God it arrived late and I passed. Loved the car and still do, but the kind of money asked has not to my I knowledge been exceded yet. I was so disappointed in the Testa that I swore off of Ferraris until the 2003 Modena purchase.
docf is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 Old 06-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Doc, sorry to hear you went off Ferrari's after your Testa. Did you never consider a V8 after you sold the Testa? I owned a 328 for a while and it was a fabulous car, great fun to drive. And, oh, the 355 was such a beautiful car, one of the finest Pininfarina designs, and still drop dead gorgeous today. Or how about the 550, the 90's Daytona incarnation?
Still the 360 is a great car, and many styling cues taken from the Dino. I wasn't too keen at first, but over the years I have grown to like them, and would really like to buy a 360 spider for my next Ferrari purchase.

Archie
archiegibbs is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 06-10-2009, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
Ferrari Life Posts: 114
Ferrari Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
Doc, sorry to hear you went off Ferrari's after your Testa. Did you never consider a V8 after you sold the Testa? I owned a 328 for a while and it was a fabulous car, great fun to drive. And, oh, the 355 was such a beautiful car, one of the finest Pininfarina designs, and still drop dead gorgeous today. Or how about the 550, the 90's Daytona incarnation?
Still the 360 is a great car, and many styling cues taken from the Dino. I wasn't too keen at first, but over the years I have grown to like them, and would really like to buy a 360 spyder for my next Ferrari purchase.
If the Spyder had a hardtop/convert top as does the new California would need to have one. Really like the Spyder (360-430), but my allergies are so bad I would never get to enjoy it as should. In fact was looking at a Spyder today @ Denver Ferrari. Wife in fact asked if I wanted it. Thanked her and said no! Must learn to walk again before I play TOO MUCH. Today was physical therapy day.
I have not posted the 308 yet as only have a couple of pictures. To answer your question, liked the 328. Really like the looks of the 355, the 575, but the anger sort of smoltered
post sell of the Testa. It wasn't just the Testa, it was what the Dealer network was doing to it's customers. You know the baloney you had to go through getting a new car if you were not in the "click". I don't play well in that setting so out of Ferraris and into sailing. We bought a 44' sail boat and had some of the most adventureous times of our lives till I got caught in a small hurricaine and the wife became phobic of the water( she wasn't even with me). This set the stage to buying a plane and becoming a pilot. Note I said buying a plane , then becoming a pilot.
Docf
docf is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 06-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Well Doc, from the sounds of it, you have certainly lived your life to the full, and are still continuing to this dayAnd jolly good luck to you

Archie
archiegibbs is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 06-20-2009, 04:44 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Doc, I have owned several airplanes, I bought my Twin Comanche before I had a multi engine rating and trained in my plane. Not a bad idea. I hope you continue to enjoy your adventures. My wife loved to fly, I hope yours does too.
Fred's F355 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 06-20-2009, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
Ferrari Life Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred's F355 View Post
Doc, I have owned several airplanes, I bought my Twin Comanche before I had a multi engine rating and trained in my plane. Not a bad idea. I hope you continue to enjoy your adventures. My wife loved to fly, I hope yours does too.
Fred she does but currently having hand controls installed post my accident and it is taking forever to get the FFA to sign off on the paperwork. I think if they don't get there by next week may attempt without it. Are you still flying? My prior instructor whom we remained great friends had recently purchased a Super Cub and enjoys chasing deer, antelope etc. Has the big ballon tires and can land just about anywhere.
Docf
docf is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale