A Favor (Help) from Brits in/near London - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-13-2009, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
A Favor (Help) from Brits in/near London

I have a favor (help) to ask to the Brits living in or around London. My friend (vintage Ferrari broker, Mr. Kura) is going to London to see (buy) a Daytonas there. He'll be in London from May 16 till 20 or so. He asked me if I know someone who can take him around London to visit car shops. It'll be only for May 18 and 19. He goes to Europe often to do the same, but seldom to London. If you have the time or someone you know can do it, I would appreciate if you would PM me and let me know so that I can help arrange things for him. He said he would reimburse and pay for the person's time. I know you're all busy, so it could be your wife, GF, friends, anyone. Mr. Kura's not proficient in English by the way. He can manage somehow. It is just that he needs somehow to drive him around the shops. He said he wanted to visit Legend Automobile in Cheltenham, Simon Cars (?) in Ashford, Elmos Collection, DK Engineering, etc. Thank you in advance for your help. w/ smiles Jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-26-2009, 01:15 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Hi Jimmy

I would have been happy to do this for you, unfortunately I have been away since the 13th and have just got back from the ME yesterday. I hope you managed to get it sorted. Best T1f

post #3 of 14 Old 05-26-2009, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1fosI View Post
Hi Jimmy

I would have been happy to do this for you, unfortunately I have been away since the 13th and have just got back from the ME yesterday. I hope you managed to get it sorted. Best T1f

Thank you kindly for your offer and reply, T1f. He (broker) managed to find a driver thru another source. He is back and he told me that he visited about five "dealers" in the outskirts of London. He was quite surprised to find out that these shops were in the countrysides and run by father/son type of outfit, rather than the typical car dealers. His purpose was to see the RHD Daytonas this time around. Thanx again. Hope all is well with you. By the way, he said that cost of living in London was exorbitant. w/ smiles Jimmy

post #4 of 14 Old 05-26-2009, 04:01 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Thank you kindly for your offer and reply, T1f. He (broker) managed to find a driver thru another source. He is back and he told me that he visited about five "dealers" in the outskirts of London. He was quite surprised to find out that these shops were in the countrysides and run by father/son type of outfit, rather than the typical car dealers. His purpose was to see the RHD Daytonas this time around. Thanx again. Hope all is well with you. By the way, he said that cost of living in London was exorbitant. w/ smiles Jimmy
Jimmy, live in London was even more expensive before the crisis. As you said, exorbitant.
Besides, prices for RHD Daytona's are hammered in the UK. With the strong Yen, any Japanese potential buyer must feel like in a candy store !
post #5 of 14 Old 05-26-2009, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Jimmy, live in London was even more expensive before the crisis. As you said, exorbitant.
Besides, prices for RHD Daytona's are hammered in the UK. With the strong Yen, any Japanese potential buyer must feel like in a candy store !
How do people make ends meet in London ? Just doesn't make much sense. Even after the currency implosion, that is very expensive, indeed. No wonder Boxer can accumulate series of super exotic Ferraris !!! (Sorry Boxer, didn't mean to pick on you, just envious). What about Swiss, 212Export ? My impression (so little that I know) is that Swiss is no bargain either. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #6 of 14 Old 05-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,130
Quote:
How do people make ends meet in London ? Just doesn't make much sense. Even after the currency implosion, that is very expensive, indeed. No wonder Boxer can accumulate series of super exotic Ferraris !!! (Sorry Boxer, didn't mean to pick on you, just envious). What about Swiss, 212Export ? My impression (so little that I know) is that Swiss is no bargain either. w/ smiles Jimmy
Sorry Jimmy, Did not see this thread until now. Would have been happy to help arrange for someone to take him around and could have advised a few other dealers to visit.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-26-2009, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Sorry Jimmy, Did not see this thread until now. Would have been happy to help arrange for someone to take him around and could have advised a few other dealers to visit.
No problem at all. I was asked only few days prior to his (broker) departure. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #8 of 14 Old 05-26-2009, 03:04 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Quote:
My impression (so little that I know) is that Swiss is no bargain either. w/ smiles Jimmy
And what about Japan!?!?!?

From what I've heard, to have one car there is very VERY expensive (just the cost of a parking place is very high, so is fuel and so on)... Now go and take a look at your garage before you start picking on poor Boxer! hehehehehe J/K

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #9 of 14 Old 05-26-2009, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stile - alpine View Post
And what about Japan!?!?!?

From what I've heard, to have one car there is very VERY expensive (just the cost of a parking place is very high, so is fuel and so on)... Now go and take a look at your garage before you start picking on poor Boxer! hehehehehe J/K
You are so right, Stile ! Maybe that is why I have to "pick" on Boxer ? If anyone else wishes to be picked on, I'll be delighted to. Seriously, as you inferred, Japan is not a easy place to live. Owning a car is indeed could be a nightmare. When buying a new car, there's additional 15% or so charges/taxes. And that is just the start. Annual this tax, that tax, ad naseum. Biannual re-registration fees that could run high if the car needs maintenance and works. Gasoline entails hefty taxes, and then when you're at the pump, you are doubled taxed because of the hidden taxes. If that is not enough, tollways everywhere. Tollways fee for my distance from Yokohama to/fro Tokyo runs around US$30 (roundtrip). Parking spot in Tokyo averages US$600 a month. (I'm getting sick). Gotta stop. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #10 of 14 Old 05-26-2009, 11:51 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Quote:
(I'm getting sick). Gotta stop. w/ smiles Jimmy
And still he smiles. I got to admire that in a guy
post #11 of 14 Old 05-27-2009, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basosz View Post
And still he smiles. I got to admire that in a guy
OOOOOOps ! You got me there, Basosz. I try. w/ smiles ? Jimmy
post #12 of 14 Old 05-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Hi Jimmy

Sorry for late reply - have been a little preoccupied of late! I am well thank you . London has suffered a little (or maybe a lot) as a result of the credit crunch and that has brought many things into perspective I think, including prices. The cost of living in the Capital has risen at a far greater rate than most peoples incomes over the past few years and it was time for a correction, although some prices IMHO are still too high. For my part I guess one gets used to it, but I have to say I am not looking forward to the tax increases over the next few years to bail out this Govts incompetence over the last 10 years, seriously thinking about new pastures and new opportunities - problem is, as they say, the grass is always greener on the other side!

post #13 of 14 Old 05-30-2009, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1fosI View Post
Hi Jimmy

Sorry for late reply - have been a little preoccupied of late! I am well thank you . London has suffered a little (or maybe a lot) as a result of the credit crunch and that has brought many things into perspective I think, including prices. The cost of living in the Capital has risen at a far greater rate than most peoples incomes over the past few years and it was time for a correction, although some prices IMHO are still too high. For my part I guess one gets used to it, but I have to say I am not looking forward to the tax increases over the next few years to bail out this Govts incompetence over the last 10 years, seriously thinking about new pastures and new opportunities - problem is, as they say, the grass is always greener on the other side!

Good to hear from you t1fosI. Glad to know things are well there for you. When I hear of the subway fare, I was shocked. That's something like three to four times what it costs in Tokyo. Can't figure out how people can stand such burden. Not saying that things are any more reasonable here in Japan. Stupid, incompetent politicians and beaurocrats w/ no clear visions. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #14 of 14 Old 05-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Owner
Elite Member

You are absolutely right Jimmy, subway fares are atrocious! They go up every year and the services get worse every year. IMHO the Govt seems to treat it as a cash cow, they know that commuters have very little choice and they milk it for all they can get away with. The worst place to be in summer is on the Underground/Subway.

The interesting thing is, that if the Govt had to develop a Subway system today it would probably never get off the ground or be horrendously over budget (examples include Millenium Dome (O2 Arena), Wembley Stadium and the Olympic Village) - we have a lot to thank the Victorians for (although TBH they used the Empire as a cash cow and other things...) as you say, Politicians - no vision, except when it comes to their own expenses .

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode