A thought about the worlds water... - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 04-27-2009, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 594
Garage
A thought about the worlds water...

Crisis came into my head today during a quiet moment in work. The place is 2/3d's covered in water and flooding more each year. So why has no-one developed a big system for filtering the sea into drinking water which would do away with droughts and bring sea levels down.

Am I having a senior moment and it can't be done?

"When I was a boy, I had a dream. It now sits in my garage".
www.maranellohouse.com
Lifetime Honorary President NI Italian Motor Club www.niimc.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENZ9_1 View Post

Am I having a senior moment and it can't be done?
I think it is callled desalination, and I think it is quite expensive but it can be done AFAIK.

post #3 of 29 Old 04-27-2009, 08:54 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 9
Its the goverment, they rather spend there money in house on lavish things to bennifit them?

post #4 of 29 Old 04-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Desalination is very expensive, but not as expensive as bailing out failed banks and paying for wars.

I think some parts of the middle east have invested their oil wealth in to these plants?

Archie
post #5 of 29 Old 04-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
Desalination is very expensive, but not as expensive as bailing out failed banks and paying for wars.

I think some parts of the middle east have invested their oil wealth in to these plants?

Totally agree. CA this year is installing a new desalination plant, based on solar, wind and other systems for SoCal

Honestly, if you don't understand water in the West, you don't understand the West. We ship water to socal and leave our fish desimated not to mention other issues. That is trying to change as we are in another drought situation. This year over a dozen, more, damn in Norcal will be destroyed to help the fish and water distribution known as before. SoCal needs to help solve their own problems

SA and others have the largest plants, and Baja of course make most of their water from delasination as they are basically a desert.

rik

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #6 of 29 Old 04-27-2009, 03:55 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Yes it can be done and is being done. There are large tankers that go into the ocean and get all the salt out, it is an expensive process for sure. There was a special on TV I saw, its pretty cool.
post #7 of 29 Old 04-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Pump the salt water by pipeline to the windward side of a desert type location. let it spill out onto the desert floor to a depth less than 4cm. Let the sun do its thing. Water evaporates to become rain. Salt remains to be packaged for delivery to Frito-Lay ultimately ending up on my Doritos. Some is retained for glass lips. Condensed rain water is captured and dilluted with concentrated lime juice and mixed in appropriate ratio with crushed ice and Jose Cuervo. final concoction is provided to all the really pretty girls.

Wa-La

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless

Last edited by Saint Bastage; 04-27-2009 at 04:09 PM.
post #8 of 29 Old 04-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 157
Visual experiment

I am so tired of the hoax, and false statements regrading the rising sea levels, so I offer everyone this simple experiment to make all those concerned sleep better at night. There is a common misconception that if all the icebergs melted the world would be 20ft under water, so here is avisual test you can all do at home. Take a glass and fill it full of ice, now fill the remaining glass "Full" of water all the way to the top. What happens went the ice "melts"?. Is there any water that has flowed over the top of the glass?...The answer is "NO"...So therefore how is it possible that if all the icebergs melt we are all under 20ft of water?. One more point if "Gobal Warming" is causing Ice bergs to melt, shouldn't the increase in temperature also cause an equal amount of evaporation of the melting waters?..Life is "GOOD" enjoy yourself, take out your Ferrari, Rev up the motor, drive Hard & Fast....Mark
post #9 of 29 Old 04-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead Seeker View Post
I am so tired of the hoax, and false statements regrading the rising sea levels, so I offer everyone this simple experiment to make all those concerned sleep better at night. There is a common misconception that if all the icebergs melted the world would be 20ft under water, so here is avisual test you can all do at home. Take a glass and fill it full of ice, now fill the remaining glass "Full" of water all the way to the top. What happens went the ice "melts"?. Is there any water that has flowed over the top of the glass?...The answer is "NO"...So therefore how is it possible that if all the icebergs melt we are all under 20ft of water?. One more point if "Gobal Warming" is causing Ice bergs to melt, shouldn't the increase in temperature also cause an equal amount of evaporation of the melting waters?..Life is "GOOD" enjoy yourself, take out your Ferrari, Rev up the motor, drive Hard & Fast....Mark
Ummm your theory and experiments have so many holes in it I will not comment. The continents wont be under water just all the coast lines and roughly 200km in all around the world, which also happens to be where 55% of the population lives or close to.

But I will agree that there is too much hype on Global warming. The earth heats up and cools down with or without our help, it happened 10,000 times before it will happen 10,000 more times after us.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #10 of 29 Old 04-28-2009, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basosz View Post
YES !!! (sorry... couldn't resist)

See I knew it can be done but by the look of things then it seems better not to spend the money working out how to do it and just let the droughts go on.

Good responses guys.

www.maranellohouse.com
post #11 of 29 Old 04-28-2009, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Here now don't be rowing and falling out, it's only a debate about why it's so hard to turn salt water into drinking water, I mean if one bloke can turn water into wine surely it's possible.

www.maranellohouse.com
post #12 of 29 Old 04-28-2009, 08:25 AM
Owner

I'm sure Basosz is as passionate as many....but, perhaps a bit over the top in an early debate....

Icebergs are not the problem. Land locked fresh water in the form of ice is, and that's the problem. For one to say there is no global warming then I say prove it. I am convinced it is happening and as the scientists state via measured land locked ice melting, it's going to be a problem. How much, don't know, don't feel the water to rise that much but it will change the eco-system....but what do I know.

Most of the land locked fresh water comprises most of all fresh water in the world. Mixed with salts etc. it will, expand a bit, but even if it expanded twice the amount, not sure where that'll go.

I believe beyond the water issue, which IS huge, in terms of lacking enought to go around for all, EVENLY, that warming in general and poor use of old technology, i.e. combustion stuff, is NOT the way to continue. Much better to make the switch to other, more expensive, now, technology, and save the combustion stuff for the one-off items, like expensive cars, BBQs, and oil for lubricants or plastics that last a hundred years.

rik

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #13 of 29 Old 04-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 157
Civility is Paramount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
I'm sure Basosz is as passionate as many....but, perhaps a bit over the top in an early debate....

Icebergs are not the problem. Land locked fresh water in the form of ice is, and that's the problem. For one to say there is no global warming then I say prove it. I am convinced it is happening and as the scientists state via measured land locked ice melting, it's going to be a problem. How much, don't know, don't feel the water to rise that much but it will change the eco-system....but what do I know.

Most of the land locked fresh water comprises most of all fresh water in the world. Mixed with salts etc. it will, expand a bit, but even if it expanded twice the amount, not sure where that'll go.

I believe beyond the water issue, which IS huge, in terms of lacking enought to go around for all, EVENLY, that warming in general and poor use of old technology, i.e. combustion stuff, is NOT the way to continue. Much better to make the switch to other, more expensive, now, technology, and save the combustion stuff for the one-off items, like expensive cars, BBQs, and oil for lubricants or plastics that last a hundred years.

rik
Granucci; I too am passionate, but temper my comments so as not to be interpreted as degrading nor insulting to any fellow Ferrari Life Members. There is a great chasim of difference between "passionate" and being down right insulting. Basosz calling me a "Redneck ignorant Asshole, who should drown first, can only be construed as Insulting, and something I did not expect from fellow members of this forum. To disagree and have differing viewpoints and opinions is what a free society is based upon, to be intolerate of others that have a different perspective, is what enslaves mankind, I hope in futher discussions that a more Civil and Respectful tone is taken by Basosz and "All" those involved....Mark
post #14 of 29 Old 04-28-2009, 09:23 AM
Owner

don't get me wrong, I am agreeing with you.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #15 of 29 Old 04-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Owner

Having 38 posts I understand.

Thats what Baz does. He loves to drench things in gas and stand back Zippo in hand. Don't take it personally. I guess we have to tolerate his opinion as well.

Andrew....Where are the Margerita glasses.

Lane

post #16 of 29 Old 04-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Owner

Quote:
But sure... keep blaming me for this while you keep revving your ferrari.
Works for me...Vroom vroom

Lane

post #17 of 29 Old 04-28-2009, 12:44 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Wow, I seemed to have missed this thread..

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #18 of 29 Old 04-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post

You are slippin' dude!

post #19 of 29 Old 04-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Owner

Quote:
Denying scientific fact is not a matter of opinion. It's closing one's eyes to the real word out there. That to me is just plain stupid (see: opinion)

and to set the record straight: I believe it is scientific fact and not opinion.

Quote:
By the way... I never specifically said that you (redhead guy) are a redneck ignorant asshole. But sure... keep blaming me for this while you keep revving your ferrari.
Bas, gotta admit that your trailing comments were a bit gruff... it DID sound like a direct comment to red.

just saying, DON'T get out the flames.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #20 of 29 Old 04-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post

past bed time?...guessing.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode