I think I've made myself a bit unpopular - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 04-11-2009, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 594
Garage
I think I've made myself a bit unpopular

With some of the Maserati guys on another forum.

You know the way working on our cars on this site is actively encouraged and any things that can be done that will cut costs safely and helps others here is a bonus. Well, I posted on the other site about how I saved money on new brake pads and shoes for the car and how to replace Lambda sensors DIy for very reasonable cost.
I thought it strange that not one person made comment, until this morning when the only comment made was negative, (I'd found a brake shoe identical to the ones on my car apart from the locating pin hole that needed an extra 5mm cut in it) but got blasted for it, I think the implication was that I was making the car dangerous.

Have to be honest, reading through various posts on the site, I came away with the thoughts that some on the forum aren't fussed on their Ferrari sisters and even very aloof. Working on your own car, Oh no you can't be doing that.

Slightly miffed to say the least. Definately not anywere near as friendly or warm as you guys here.

"When I was a boy, I had a dream. It now sits in my garage".
www.maranellohouse.com
Lifetime Honorary President NI Italian Motor Club www.niimc.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-11-2009, 07:21 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENZ9_1 View Post
Slightly miffed to say the least. Definately not anywere near as friendly or warm as you guys here.
F*ck em. You don't need their permission to DIY your car. You only need us
post #3 of 24 Old 04-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basosz View Post
+1

Archie

post #4 of 24 Old 04-11-2009, 04:41 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
Agreed

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #5 of 24 Old 04-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Part of the joy of the Ferrari "experience" is the satisfaction you get from repairing and maintaining the car yourself. You are more in tune with the car and can better appreciate the "man-machine" interface when you've personally checked over the car with wrench in hand and know everything is as it should be.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #6 of 24 Old 04-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 157
Girlfriends & Ferraris

To me ,my Ferrari is like my girlfriend the more time you spend getting to know them intimately, the better they treat you!!!
post #7 of 24 Old 04-12-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
Part of the joy of the Ferrari "experience" is the satisfaction you get from repairing and maintaining the car yourself. You are more in tune with the car and can better appreciate the "man-machine" interface when you've personally checked over the car with wrench in hand and know everything is as it should be.
And this isn't just true for a ferrari. It's true for ANY car you drive. Especially the Fiat 500

Sounds to me like those whimpy other-forumers are just afraid to get their damn hands dirty.
post #8 of 24 Old 04-12-2009, 02:54 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,130
Quote:
With some of the Maserati guys on another forum.

You know the way working on our cars on this site is actively encouraged and any things that can be done that will cut costs safely and helps others here is a bonus. Well, I posted on the other site about how I saved money on new brake pads and shoes for the car and how to replace Lambda sensors DIy for very reasonable cost.
I thought it strange that not one person made comment, until this morning when the only comment made was negative, (I'd found a brake shoe identical to the ones on my car apart from the locating pin hole that needed an extra 5mm cut in it) but got blasted for it, I think the implication was that I was making the car dangerous.

Have to be honest, reading through various posts on the site, I came away with the thoughts that some on the forum aren't fussed on their Ferrari sisters and even very aloof. Working on your own car, Oh no you can't be doing that.

?????MaseratiLife ???????

If so, a bit surprised, have always found the group their very similar to here.
post #9 of 24 Old 04-12-2009, 04:11 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Some people are very 'precious' or to put it another way 'anal' about their cars which is fair enough if that is the way they feel. Having grown up in the Automotive industry (4 generations of blokes who owned garages and fixed motors) I am of the opinion that a Motor is a Motor is a Motor and personally I really don't understand this anal fixation.

It brings to mind a story my Dad told me many years ago. In the early 70's he worked in a local garage and one day he went into a spare parts shop here in SE London. He asked the guy for some Ford Transit brake shoes. The parts guy told him that that they did not sell Transit parts, so my Dad asked him for some Mini brake shoes. The guy looked at my Dad and said to him that if he got the Mini shoes off the shelf and brought them to the counter he would have to buy them. My Dad said OK. The guy brought the shoes to the counter and before he would let my Dad look at them he wanted the money. So my Dad paid and the guy handed over the brake shoes. My Dad opened the box in front of the parts man and took out a brake shoe which he matched to the old one in his other hand. He looked at the guy and then indicated to the label on the side of the box which stated fitment; 'Austin Mini' and beneath it 'Ford Transit'. The guy opened his mouth to say something but before he could my Dad told him he was 'F**king W**ker who couldn't even read' and walked out.

Moral of the story - the world is full of F**king W**kers, thankfully the decent people outnumber them.

post #10 of 24 Old 04-12-2009, 06:58 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 81
A Car is a Car is a Car. If you feel confident enough to work on it, be it a Fiat, Ferrari or Ford for that matter....wrench away!
post #11 of 24 Old 04-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
And this isn't just true for a ferrari. It's true for ANY car you drive. Especially the Fiat 500

Sounds to me like those whimpy other-forumers are just afraid to get their damn hands dirty.
Agreed.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #12 of 24 Old 04-12-2009, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
?????MaseratiLife ???????

If so, a bit surprised, have always found the group their very similar to here.
No not MF. I've decided not to name the site as others may want to join and they might have a different experiance so it wouldn't be fair for me to taint things.
I got the impression it was a few things.
1. Don't think it's the done thing to get their hands dirty.
2. By working on the car myself I'm watering down the brand. Comment was made that the next thing they'll see is people (Chavs) would be buying Maseratis and going to McDonalds in them.
2. OEM parts should be used at all times.
3. The fact that I did a bit of research on parts and saved a packet really hasn't gone down well. Maserati were looking 178+vat for front pads, 157+vat rears, and 137 for handbrake shoes. I got Ferodo's (which I've used on the rally cars and stock cars over the years and never had a problem with) for 28 front, 22 rear. I also matched shoes off a VW LT15 transporter which just needed the spring locating pin hole widened about 5mm for 20. This apparently was sacralige as I modified a part how dare I do such a thing.
I then did a 'how to' on replacing the 2 lambda sensors. It took me 40 minutes (I can do it quicker now I know what I'm doing) and it cost me 108 for the 2 sensors. Couple of the guys on the forum said it could only be done by a main dealer and one guy was charged 179 for one sensor and 633 to fit it.
I thought I was helping people keep costs down, but that's not the done thing by the look of it.

Ah well, such is life.

www.maranellohouse.com
post #13 of 24 Old 04-13-2009, 02:17 AM

My original point deserves repeating:

F*ck 'em !!

I don't really know why but people like that piss me off mightily. Feeling like you're better than someone else, or too good to get your hands dirty (ok... I do the feeling better part too) and then being all snotty and arrogant about it... people like that should be shot (non-lethal shot please) and then tied to the fender of my "inferior" car and dragged through the streets.

By the way... I've seen a Maserati at the McDriveThrough and it looked exactly like a guy you're describing.
post #14 of 24 Old 04-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
I guess Jay Leno is a Chav then he wrote a great article about how he doesn't like to park too far away from restaurants and so he ends up going to Macdonalds and Burger King drive thrus in his various exotica.

BTW Ferodo is part of Federal Mogul which is a Tier 1 supplier of Friction materials, i.e. OEM

post #15 of 24 Old 04-13-2009, 12:34 PM

I'd love to see the faces of the McEmployers when Leno pulls up in one of his steam powered cars Those things make great clouds
post #16 of 24 Old 04-13-2009, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1fosI View Post
BTW Ferodo is part of Federal Mogul which is a Tier 1 supplier of Friction materials, i.e. OEM

Exactly

www.maranellohouse.com
post #17 of 24 Old 04-14-2009, 12:09 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:
My original point deserves repeating:

F*ck 'em !!

I don't really know why but people like that piss me off mightily. Feeling like you're better than someone else, or too good to get your hands dirty (ok... I do the feeling better part too) and then being all snotty and arrogant about it... people like that should be shot (non-lethal shot please) and then tied to the fender of my "inferior" car and dragged through the streets.

By the way... I've seen a Maserati at the McDriveThrough and it looked exactly like a guy you're describing.

Couldn't of said it better myself..........Well?????? I might of said

F*ck 'em all....but the rest is bang on..

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #18 of 24 Old 04-22-2009, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Ok update time on how myself and the Maserati people have got on.
We've moved on from me de-valueing the brand by finding pads cheap.

I've stuck the 3200 up for sale (see my other thread) and one of the guys spotted it and stuck up a post that I didn't keep it long. The response wasn't what I expected.

Anyway I've decided see what of you guys make of it I got qiute angry, but I think it was for good reason.

Starts at post 12. http://www.maseratiforum.co.uk/tm.asp?m=25585 Oh and Lozb changed post 13 from me being "a dealer out to make a quick buck", to what you see. That's what kicked it all off.

www.maranellohouse.com
post #19 of 24 Old 04-22-2009, 08:45 AM

After reading that interesting bit of foruming I just want to say that that Loz fellow to be an idiot.

Just because you said you wanted to pay not more than 9k for a car, soesn't mena that you actually did. Also it's none of his damn business. He should be the first to get shot and hung behind my "inferior" car.

Arsewipe
post #20 of 24 Old 04-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,130
Quote:
Ok update time on how myself and the Maserati people have got on.
We've moved on from me de-valueing the brand by finding pads cheap.

I've stuck the 3200 up for sale (see my other thread) and one of the guys spotted it and stuck up a post that I didn't keep it long. The response wasn't what I expected.

Anyway I've decided see what of you guys make of it I got qiute angry, but I think it was for good reason.

Starts at post 12. http://www.maseratiforum.co.uk/tm.asp?m=25585 Oh and Lozb changed post 13 from me being "a dealer out to make a quick buck", to what you see. That's what kicked it all off.
Read the thread. Plain just uncalled for.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode