Can you have too many exotics/sportscars - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-08-2009, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Can you have too many exotics/sportscars

I was just viewing that video of the collection in Michigan when it dawned on me that you can have too many. It is easy for me to say this now as I can't fill a garage with what looked to be about 30 million in total assets in the form of cars. If you could, would you?

I say not. I think 4 - 12 is the optimal number. Reason being, if you have 40 plus cars like this you won't get to drive some in a year. I seriously doubt you would bother trying to do a daily rotation, different car each day etc. You will naturally like a few more than the rest and drive those more than the others. Just my 2 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-09-2009, 09:49 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
I agree, that is way to many cars. I think no matter how much money I had the garage would have to stay 10 or below. A perfect example of someone with more is Jay Leno. He is a unique case in that he drives all and meticulously maintains all of them. I would have to say 10 is the limit for me though. That guy from Michigan is ridiculous. I could pick out a few from his collection and that would be plenty.

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #3 of 14 Old 04-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
I suppose it all depends how much money you have and if you can justify the expense of buying and maintaining them. I don't like to see big collections unused. We are fortunate on FL because we have several owners of large collections who regularly use theirs and keep us all updated - Boxer, Lambo65 and RufMD. 6-10 is probably the ideal number of cars to ensure that they are all used on a regular basis, and they would all have to offer something different terms of driving experience and styling.

This week my collection would include:

Bowler Wildcat (Mad 5.0 Land Rover)
Ariel Atom
Koeniggsegg CCX (the ultimate supercar, much nicer looking than the Veyron)
Scuderia Spider for my daily driver
Aston Martin DB9 or Vanquish S (for a gentlemans GT cruiser)
Lambo Murcielago LP640 Roadster (mad and bad posing machine)
F40 (no reason, just always wanted one)
Audi RS6 Avant
MB AMG SL55 or 63 (i've always loved and wanted a SL)
Smart Roadster- just to keep the eco police happy

That will do me, don't want to appear too greedy

Archie

post #4 of 14 Old 04-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I was just viewing that video of the collection in Michigan when it dawned on me that you can have too many. It is easy for me to say this now as I can't fill a garage with what looked to be about 30 million in total assets in the form of cars. If you could, would you?

I say not. I think 4 - 12 is the optimal number. Reason being, if you have 40 plus cars like this you won't get to drive some in a year. I seriously doubt you would bother trying to do a daily rotation, different car each day etc. You will naturally like a few more than the rest and drive those more than the others. Just my 2 cents.

NO! No you can't

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #5 of 14 Old 04-09-2009, 02:23 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
NO! No you can't
Somehow I saw that one coming

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #6 of 14 Old 04-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
if you have the time, then no, if not you are not doing justice to your expectations or the car.

rik

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #7 of 14 Old 04-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 465
I have eight cars right now, and for me it is too many.

We only have enough nice weather 6-7 months out of the year.

I barely have time to get all of the cars out of the garage, give them their annual check up, and do routine maintenance. Keeping track of the maintenance -- which car needs what -- is work in and of itself.

Just keeping them waxed and clean is a lot; If each car gets waxed 3 times a year, I'm detailing a car almost every weekend in the warm months.

I'm lucky if I get to drive more than two or three in any given year.

When one car needs major work or is a project, that takes up enough time that I end up neglecting another car or cars.

Three fun cars plus a daily driver is the limit for me. Must get rid of some cars.

Of course, if you have lots and lots and lots of money like you-know-who in Michigan, you can hire people to take care of your cars for you, or just let them sit there. But me, I like to keep mine fresh.

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi
post #8 of 14 Old 04-10-2009, 01:17 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
If it was my heart answering the answer would be No, but my head says Yes - but only if you cannot devote enough time to them all.

I guess it is somewhat akin to having children. I have always wanted to have 6 or 7, I could never have just 1 or 2 so I figure 4-5 is a nice even number...

When I see some collections where the owner has say 3 or 4 of the same car, I think that is a waste. The Michigan dude has a nice collection, lots of variety, likes to share it with others - a kind of living museum if you will - that is a cool way to manage your hobby. The only problem was that I did not see an F50 in that collection? I mean what is he thinking!!!!

post #9 of 14 Old 04-10-2009, 05:38 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
I agree that it depends on the amount of time you can put into them. Jay Leno is a nice example of someone who likes to drive all his cars and isn't afraid to (also important), but he has the time to do it. If you work 80 hours a week, owning several cars (don't even need to be exotics) can become more troublesome because then you're tired all the time.

Tifosi made a good point distinguishing between the head and the heart... I totally agree with him there.

He's totally wrong about the children though I want absolutely NONE of those, but I want several cars
post #10 of 14 Old 04-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 594
Garage
Erm, what youtube vid ?

"When I was a boy, I had a dream. It now sits in my garage".
www.maranellohouse.com
Lifetime Honorary President NI Italian Motor Club www.niimc.net
post #11 of 14 Old 04-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENZ9_1 View Post
Erm, what youtube vid ?

This one -> http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/sh...1281#post91281

Double click on the picture and it will take you to the Vid.

post #12 of 14 Old 04-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 594
Garage
Oh aye my luck. It's been disabled by request.

"When I was a boy, I had a dream. It now sits in my garage".
www.maranellohouse.com
Lifetime Honorary President NI Italian Motor Club www.niimc.net
post #13 of 14 Old 04-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
I've only just watched the video, far too many American muscle cars. Sorry to my US cousins, but American cars don't do it for me.

Nice collection of Euro cars at the end of the video, but it looks a bit like a showroom, everything is brand new apart from the 288 GTO and the F40.

I say scrap the US cars and buy some vintage Euro cars from the 50's, 60's and 70's. Great noise at the end

Archie
post #14 of 14 Old 04-10-2009, 01:09 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
+1 with Archie. Far too many american muscle cars and we all know american muscle cars are shite at handling. Just teasing guys... but it's really not my thing. Even the european stuff at the end didn;t really do it for me. He only has corvettes and some pontiacs as old cars. He seems to have little historical taste. Jay Leno has a very varied collection that really makes my heart race (pun intended) as it's far more historically significant and also Jay doesn't really focus on one brand or type of car (even though he has like 6 Duesenbergs).

Big collection for the Sultan, but not really impressive. Sorry.

P.S.: What's with the bloody noise at the end? Just starting a car like that is not a way to enjoy that sound (if it were enjoyable, which it is not. It's a damn ferrari). You need to be outside and get some proper speed and revs. THEN you enjoy it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode