Italian Quake close to my home town. - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 04-06-2009, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Italian Quake close to my home town.

This is my Province(Abruzzo) I am from Chieti located 45 min away from Laquila where the devastation occurred. Some relatives live there we still can't get a hold of anyone though. Two other relatives were planning on flying out tomorrow for a two month stay in Laquila but now not sure what to do.

My Sister in Chieti was woken up by the tremors it cracked walls shook furniture but no casualties thank God.

Reports of an early prediction was made months earlier by a scientist but the President ordered him to pull all his information off the INTERNET because he was causing panic?????? I'm sorry but what a moron, thats just embarrassing. Now we will see a lot of back pedaling.

Prayers go out to all that were affected in this tragedy.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-07-2009, 02:01 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Good to hear that so far no one's been injured in your family. Berlusconi is indeed an idiot. Have you seen his phonecall at the NATO 60 birthday? Bundeschancellor Merkell was right to leave him behind. Not one person in europe believes that he was talking to Erdohan of Turkey.

I hope the idiot is up to the task of leading his country to full recovery in this crisis. Not for himself, but for the Italians. They deserve better.

About the predictions... people have been working for years on predicting earthquakes and the gas-thing he tried (something with Argon I believe) has showed promise in the past. He seemed to be spot on. He should be vindicated, even though the price is very steep.

I hope you get through to your family and that they're all OK. Keep us updated please?
post #3 of 16 Old 04-07-2009, 05:34 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
This is my Province(Abruzzo) I am from Chieti located 45 min away from Laquila where the devastation occurred. Some relatives live there we still can't get a hold of anyone though. Two other relatives were planning on flying out tomorrow for a two month stay in Laquila but now not sure what to do.

My Sister in Chieti was woken up by the tremors it cracked walls shook furniture but no casualties thank God.

Reports of an early prediction was made months earlier by a scientist but the President ordered him to pull all his information off the INTERNET because he was causing panic?????? I'm sorry but what a moron, thats just embarrassing. Now we will see a lot of back pedaling.

Prayers go out to all that were affected in this tragedy.
Night life: I have been in chieti many times over on my Tuscany trips. There at the train station is a little cafe bar were they serve the best hot chocolate in the world ! I did not know that you're from Chieti.
Hopefully nobody of your relatives is hurt.
Unfortuntally people forget that big parts of Italy (especially the south) are always on the verge of a big earthquake to come. Its almost the same situation as California. I have been on the Vesuvio vulcan and studied the happenings in Pompeij. Personally I was hit in a earthquake in 2002 in the Basilikata in the acient town of Matera. I had my little daughter on my shoulders when suddenly the ground started to shake an I had to kneel down to get the balance again (no it was not the vino rosso).
Often the earthquakes like the one in Aquila yesterday are the precursor of the big ones to come. We should be on alert for Italy.

post #4 of 16 Old 04-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Terrible tragedy for all those in the vacinity or who have relatives nearby. Hope that you manage to contact all of your relatives and that they are all OK.

If the stories about Berlusconi are indeed true, he should be tried for manslaughter on the grounds of gross negligence and incompetence.

Archie
post #5 of 16 Old 04-07-2009, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basosz View Post

About the predictions... people have been working for years on predicting earthquakes and the gas-thing he tried (something with Argon I believe) has showed promise in the past. He seemed to be spot on. He should be vindicated, even though the price is very steep.
?
The scientist said he feels terrible for the event but lucky that he knew enough to get his family out of there days before. They are now predicting another major quake within weeks.

post #6 of 16 Old 04-08-2009, 01:43 AM

The gas was Radon by the way, but that hardly matters. How about your family Night? Everyone OK? Have you reached them yet? The news casts yesterday talked about parts of the stricken area being cut off still phone-wise.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-08-2009, 06:24 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 81
Just saw on the news this morning that they pulled a 98 year old lady out of the rubble after being in the debris for 2 days. Amazing! Terrible tradgedy but some amazing survival stories as well.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Our thoughts are with our Italian friends - love that country and it is sad to see a tragedy like this.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 16 Old 04-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
yes, my family from Tuscany. Hope all you know are well and fine.

rik

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #10 of 16 Old 04-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
That is some loss to those historic buildings for sure.

What a shame and what loss of life.

Terrible!
post #11 of 16 Old 04-08-2009, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Phew!

Quote:
The gas was Radon by the way, but that hardly matters. How about your family Night? Everyone OK? Have you reached them yet? The news casts yesterday talked about parts of the stricken area being cut off still phone-wise.
Good news, everyone is OK they only reported a little damage to some of their homes but very lucky. My sister in laws relatives flew out today for Laquila so we will have an inside report.

The rest of the devastation breaks my heart though. News of poorly built newer buildings are starting to emerge like the new Hospital new University and City Hall. All very heavily damaged, I,m sure la Cosa Nostra had nothing to do with it.....what???..who said that??? I swear someone else typed that...

post #12 of 16 Old 04-09-2009, 12:24 AM

Night: good to hear everyone is OK. Took a while but the news finally reached you That's great

The hospital was on the news yesterday... took 25 years to build, was 9 times more expensive than initially budgeted (is that a word? Anyway... the amount of money it was thought it could be built for) and it still was about as safe as a house of cards in a hurricane. Contracters are thought to have used cheaper materials when building it. So it's a VERY expensive (and now useless) hospital, yet it was built with cheap materials. I'm thinking corruption on a massive scale. Berlusconi should give the people responsible a stern call on his cell phone
post #13 of 16 Old 04-09-2009, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Night: good to hear everyone is OK. Took a while but the news finally reached you That's great

The hospital was on the news yesterday... took 25 years to build, was 9 times more expensive than initially budgeted (is that a word? Anyway... the amount of money it was thought it could be built for) and it still was about as safe as a house of cards in a hurricane. Contracters are thought to have used cheaper materials when building it. So it's a VERY expensive (and now useless) hospital, yet it was built with cheap materials. I'm thinking corruption on a massive scale. Berlusconi should give the people responsible a stern call on his cell phone

As sad and true as this is it is the only way for national laws to be passed to assure proper building practice. It has happened all over the world before including U.S, Canada, Uk etc..

Only after major disasters do regulations finally get passed to protect the common citizen.

In this case not one person will ever be held accountable...

post #14 of 16 Old 04-14-2009, 12:32 PM
FBI
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 310
Hey Night Life, Glad to hear your family's ok! Are family is fine as well. We had some cousin's in the region but they left about a week earlier.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-14-2009, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Hey Night Life, Glad to hear your family's ok! Are family is fine as well. We had some cousin's in the region but they left about a week earlier.
Excellent good to hear my friend..

post #16 of 16 Old 04-21-2009, 07:30 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 532
+1 here iam glad your familia is okay. my relatives live in the north so now worries(firenze). one thing i did though was donate on Jarno Trulli's site, there are also some pictures on there. www.abruzzonelcuore.org

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode