Looking for some career insight! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 03-26-2009, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 39
Looking for some career insight!

In an attempt to assist my younger brother (18 yrs. old and graduating high school this year) who has absolutly no idea as to the direction he wants to take after graduation. He's expressed some interest in attending a technical school and maybe pursuing something in automative mechanics, but the kid just has no clue. I understand everyone has their dream career in mind. Heck I wanted to be professional baseball player (almost made it, but that's another story) then played around in college for a few years before realizing my true passion was the military. I've discussed many career opportunities with him and some insight about how to get there. However, he's not really motivated about the opportunites I've discussed with him. Which leads me here at this moment in time, due to the nature of this forum I suspect most members have been successful to some degree, what I'm looking for is some insight on some interesting careers. Not necessarily what you do/did for a living but some careers I'm not thinking of. This has been an up hill battle since the beginning of the school year. Just for note he'll graduate high school with a GPA of somewhere around 3.2 so he's capable of the general technical field, also he has just taken the ASVAB (armed services vacational aptitude battery) and got a 71, this score is based on percentile and not percentage. Thank you in advance for any and all responses.

Shawn

OIF 1, OEF 3, and OIF 8 veteran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-26-2009, 07:50 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
I'm a mechanical engineer, graduated 1 year ago and now I work for Petrobras (the 5th biggest petrol company in the world)

the oil world has a lot of opportunities for hard working people and it is quite an exciting life, but one has to really love it because it is very very hard to spend weeks away from everything working off shore

Pete can give more information about this since he's been in this life for a long time

BTW: Airborne infantry? Nice! Takes some guts to do that, doesn't it?? hehehe

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #3 of 3 Old 03-27-2009, 01:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
What are his interests and passion, if he can find a line of work based on those two points he will be a happy man, even if it is not a huge financial gain. Loving what you do is very important for a happy and long life.

I was always involved with music from one degree to another, I started my own d.j co way back in High school then progressed to the night clubs, made a decent name for myself in the circuit and gained tonnes of experience. Eventually I started doing sound and lights for local bands and then some of the biggest Canadian stars. And now I own my own nightclub and am very happy.

My point to all of this is that I started with something I loved and one way or another it kept me in the music scene which is my passion.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson

Last edited by Night Life; 03-27-2009 at 01:31 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode