Decisions on what next. - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 112 Old 02-15-2009, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 594
Garage
Decisions on what next.

Rather than hijack the thread on bargain classics I thought it would be prudent to start a new one.

I think I'm coming to a crossroads with current fleet and over the last few weeks have been considering changing a few things. Problem is I can't make my mind up. "Nothing new there then". The 308 was always my dream car, the Martini integrale runs it a close second. Coupe, well I can always come across another at some point.

Do I sell the 308, integrale and Fiat Coupe and look for a 456.
I can't do this until I get the 308 all finished (I've the belts to change, clean the engine up and change a bulk ring in the box) and this will probably be the summer then. If I go for the 456 it is going to be harder for me to look after because I do all my own work. And it will really only be run as a high days car to ake the family out for a run in.

Do I keep the 308, (it's more part of the family now), sell the integrale and Coupe, and go for a Maserati 3200GT, (Keeping it Italian of course), and LPG it so I can run it on an almost regular basis. If I do this I get to keep the 308. Plus I happen to think if you squint a little the 3200 is like a smaller version of the 456, and should be easier to look after (in theory).

Or, keep the 308 and the integrale, sell the Coupe, LPG the 308 (yes still thinking about that one) so I can use it on a more regular basis, but then I can't take the family out in it.

Or, Keep things as they are.

I know no-one can make this decision for me but I just thought I'd share my thoughts in the hope of some divine insperation, and to give us something else to chat about.

I did put a post up over on Maserati Life about the 3200 but there's surprisingly very little about them on the site.

"When I was a boy, I had a dream. It now sits in my garage".
www.maranellohouse.com
Lifetime Honorary President NI Italian Motor Club www.niimc.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 112 Old 02-15-2009, 09:19 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
I just visited your site at the bottom of your signature and I have to comment on which cars imho you really, really, really should keep:

- The Fiat 500 F. I love your stories on it needing a respray after tipping the bonnet, and the pics of it at the dealer are great The car looks great! I totally empathise with your little girl (who's a cutie by the way) when she's protecting the Little F. I'm just the same with our own 500.

- Keep the Integrale !!!! It's AMAZING !!! I love the colors and the whole.... everything. *drool*

Quite an entertaining read
post #3 of 112 Old 02-15-2009, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basosz View Post
I just visited your site at the bottom of your signature and I have to comment on which cars imho you really, really, really should keep:

- The Fiat 500 F. I love your stories on it needing a respray after tipping the bonnet, and the pics of it at the dealer are great The car looks great! I totally empathise with your little girl (who's a cutie by the way) when she's protecting the Little F. I'm just the same with our own 500.

- Keep the Integrale !!!! It's AMAZING !!! I love the colors and the whole.... everything. *drool*

Quite an entertaining read
Thank you for those very kind words, and a fello 500 owner to

You can see why I can't decide between the integrale or a 3200.

www.maranellohouse.com

post #4 of 112 Old 02-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,130
My 2 cents:

If you really want a Maserati, pass on the 3200 GT and get the 4200 Coupe. It will be much less headache in the long run. If it is four seats and Italian that you are looking for, I would also consider a Mondial.

I would keep both the 308 and Integrale (however if you do ever decide to sell it, pleae let me know).
post #5 of 112 Old 02-15-2009, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
My 2 cents:

If you really want a Maserati, pass on the 3200 GT and get the 4200 Coupe. It will be much less headache in the long run. If it is four seats and Italian that you are looking for, I would also consider a Mondial.

I would keep both the 308 and Integrale (however if you do ever decide to sell it, please let me know).
Always happy for your input S. Can't afford a 4200 unfortunately, and did consider a 3.2 QV but as I've already owned one I thought the 3200 would be a little different.
I had the Lancia (I take it that's the one your talking about) up for sale this last 3 weeks, and have good offers on it. But because I couldn't make my mind up I thought it unfair to keep it up for sale and took all the ads down. I think what I need (apart from a good kick up the backside) is for someone to push me into a corner and either wave money under my nose or say they have a 3200/QV they want to swap.

Oh and just to make things even more interesting, within the last hour I have just been contacted by a guy who has founf an Evo integrale in a barn that's been sitting 8 years not far from me and it looks as though it's for sale!

www.maranellohouse.com
post #6 of 112 Old 02-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
I would keep the Integrale and the 308 definitely!

Move the Coupe and get a good daily driver, there are so many to choose from and it is a buyers market!

I would go for a TDi, probably an A4 Cabrio or Avant (=GBP12k). If it was petrol and I was going to LPG it, than a Range Rover (P38/4.4 <GBP11k), but IMHO by the time you LPG it, the cost of a good LPG system Vs Diesel?

If you want some Maranello Magic (no LPG) than as Boxer says a Mondial or perhaps a Lancia Thema 8.32?

IMHO if you buy a Maserati and LPG it, I do not think you will enjoy it as much and the depreciation will be also you will regret selling one of your two favourite cars! Sorry!!

$0.02

Edit: Maybe a new style FIAT 500 as a daily!?!

Last edited by t1fosI; 02-15-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Edit
post #7 of 112 Old 02-15-2009, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
I have a Fiat Multipla for the daily grind so I've that one covered.

The 3200's not winning any friends I see over the Lancia.

I think what put the thought of changing into my head is that if I want to go anywhere with the family it has to be in the Multi or my Wifes Alfa.
Dare I say it on a Ferrari site, I can't take the Lancia anywere without a crowd gathering around it. It attracts a lot more attenton that the 308

But you do make some good points, you all do

I thought about 8.32's more times than I care to remember over the years but can never bring myself to make the plunge.

www.maranellohouse.com
post #8 of 112 Old 02-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENZ9_1 View Post

The 3200's not winning any friends I see over the Lancia.

I think what put the thought of changing into my head is that if I want to go anywhere with the family it has to be in the Multi or my Wifes Alfa.
Dare I say it on a Ferrari site, I can't take the Lancia anywere without a crowd gathering around it. It attracts a lot more attenton that the 308
Well the paint work on the Integrale does stand out a bit.

If it is four seats with a bit of performance, what about a mid 90's M5 or the TVR Cerbera?
post #9 of 112 Old 02-15-2009, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
If it is four seats with a bit of performance, what about a mid 90's M5 or the TVR Cerbera?
Oh no, we can't be driving anything non Italian

secretly goes off to look at prices of TVR's

www.maranellohouse.com
post #10 of 112 Old 02-15-2009, 10:56 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
please DON'T sell the Lancia or the 308

that's all I ask hehehe they are simply TOO COOL, don't EVER let them go, man!!!

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #11 of 112 Old 02-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Oops!

How about a 308GT4? or Alfa GTV (80's lovely wood steering wheel) or an early Quattroporte! Although the latter might need deep pockets from what I understand.

post #12 of 112 Old 02-16-2009, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Looks like your all starting to get caught up in this the same way I am

The plot thickens even more. I had an email last week from a guy who was all annoyed that I'd decided not to sell the Grale and had pulled the ad because he had been gathering money up to buy it. I took him with a pinch of salt (along the the 30 other people who I didn't believe were serious buyers) He said he was friends with someone in HR Owens.
Well he's been on with me about 10 minutes ago wanting to know what spec I'm after in a 3200 as he's going to try to source one from Owens so he can prise the Grale off me.

This is turning out like one of those TV shows, "tune in next week" !

www.maranellohouse.com
post #13 of 112 Old 02-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Looks like your all starting to get caught up in this the same way I am

The plot thickens even more. I had an email last week from a guy who was all annoyed that I'd decided not to sell the Grale and had pulled the ad because he had been gathering money up to buy it. I took him with a pinch of salt (along the the 30 other people who I didn't believe were serious buyers) He said he was friends with someone in HR Owens.
Well he's been on with me about 10 minutes ago wanting to know what spec I'm after in a 3200 as he's going to try to source one from Owens so he can prise the Grale off me.

This is turning out like one of those TV shows, "tune in next week" !
As assests go this would be a bad trade. The Grale is certainly not depreciating and probably fairly reasonable to run. The 3200 is still dropping in value and has plenty of hidden charms that will empty your wallet should they rear their ugly head. From a pure driving perspective, the 3200 can be evil. Power is not easy to modulate and when the turbos kick in, you can suddenly find ourself going a lot faster then intended. Having driven a couple I found the accelerator did not have a lot of "feel" and I definitely would not want to be caught driving it in heavy rain or snow.
post #14 of 112 Old 02-17-2009, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
As assests go this would be a bad trade. The Grale is certainly not depreciating and probably fairly reasonable to run. The 3200 is still dropping in value and has plenty of hidden charms that will empty your wallet should they rear their ugly head. From a pure driving perspective, the 3200 can be evil. Power is not easy to modulate and when the turbos kick in, you can suddenly find ourself going a lot faster then intended. Having driven a couple I found the accelerator did not have a lot of "feel" and I definitely would not want to be caught driving it in heavy rain or snow.
Boxer you've just made a lot of sense that I know I really should pay heed and listen to.
I've just got this strong urge to move on . Having owned a Mondial I know I should be looking at one of those because I know them.

Me and my bright ideas

www.maranellohouse.com
post #15 of 112 Old 02-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Another one to mull over...

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/776079.htm

Attached Images

post #16 of 112 Old 02-22-2009, 09:10 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1fosI View Post
Another one to mull over...

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/776079.htm

Only if you are a glutton for punishment..............
post #17 of 112 Old 02-23-2009, 12:54 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Only if you are a glutton for punishment..............
LOL! I was thinking that as I was posting it, but then I thought ahh maybe it is just me being pessimistic, after all can't be that bad, looks OK...famous last words...

post #18 of 112 Old 02-23-2009, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Sorry not been handy to the keyboard for a couple of days.

Erm, Lancia's sold by the look of things. In my defence a guy who originally had phoned me about it came back offering money I couldn't refuse so he's lifting it on Friday.

I've read every scrap of info on the 3200 that I could find, even got a mate to send me a report from some mag in Dubia, and it actually doesn't look to bad at all once you cut through the myths, something we're all used to owning Ferrari's.
I've spoken to my friend who works on exotics and he says he'll look after anything I can't do should it need anything (looks round for wood to touch)
So I'm looking at 2 GT's at the moment and after Friday I'll see what sort of a deal I can get. Just means a trip to England for the day.

Thank you everyone for all the help and advice so far, believe me it's been greatly appreciated

www.maranellohouse.com
post #19 of 112 Old 02-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Sorry not been handy to the keyboard for a couple of days.

Erm, Lancia's sold by the look of things. In my defence a guy who originally had phoned me about it came back offering money I couldn't refuse so he's lifting it on Friday.

I've read every scrap of info on the 3200 that I could find, even got a mate to send me a report from some mag in Dubia, and it actually doesn't look to bad at all once you cut through the myths, something we're all used to owning Ferrari's.
I've spoken to my friend who works on exotics and he says he'll look after anything I can't do should it need anything (looks round for wood to touch)
So I'm looking at 2 GT's at the moment and after Friday I'll see what sort of a deal I can get. Just means a trip to England for the day.

Thank you everyone for all the help and advice so far, believe me it's been greatly appreciated
Two items on 3200GTs I have heard that you need to check carefully are the electronics and the health of the turbos. Electronics are all pre Ferrari and have a mind of there own. Turbos are more of an issue of age and former owners not allow them to cool properly before cutting the ignition.
post #20 of 112 Old 02-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
You mentioned you were thinking of an LPG conversion, so I am assuming fuel economy is a concern. As T1f said, I can't really see how that makes financial sense, far better to get a diesel and know you can sell it on easily. There are also some real bargains out there at the moment. I've just paid 11K for a 2 yr old 20K mile Saab Vector diesel cabriolet which is fully loaded with leather, parking sensors, heated seats...etc. Having also owned 3 Audi A4 cabs in the past, I can't recommend them highly enough. Quality build, highly desirable used and still the best looking mass produced coupe/cabriolet around. If you must have an Italian car, go for an Alfa diesel, they make some great looking 4 seaters.
As I said, I've just bought a Saab diesel cabriolet and I love it, the most comfortable car I've ever had, it might also be up your street because it has a Fiat diesel engine.
Oh, and I'd also keep the 308 and Lancia.

Archie

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode