Porsche Panamera - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-06-2009, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Porsche Panamera

What's everyone's take on the car? Anyone here have one on order? Is Porsche screwed given the economic situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-06-2009, 07:52 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 465
I don't particularly care for the Panamera; I don't care for the styling, and I don't care for the idea of a "sports sedan". If I'm going to own a 4-door sedan or saloon, it's going to be all about comfort and luxury. Like . . . a Vanden Plas.

It's a philosophical thing for me: If I want a sports car, I want to go all out, no compromises. Four seats and a large boot compromise the intrinsic purpose of a sports car. Taking a large car that can carry four or five people in comfort is inherently at odds with the concept of sports car. So anything that tries to be both is just not for me.

With that said, I disagree with people who blabber about "watering down the marque" or "ruining the brand"* when talking about Porsche's SUV and sedan. Porsche has built all kinds of weird vehicles since the 1950s, including a small number of what amount to an SUV. The people who think Porsche is all about 911 Turbos and Carrera GTs don't have a clue. With the hopes of not sounding too cheeky, I'll repeat the often repeated sentiment that what Porsche is all about is excellence. They build excellent machinery by any standard. I'm sure the Panamera is just that. And if Porsche grow to become a major auto maker by continuing to diversify their lineup, then more power to them.

* I've never seen the word "brand" used so much in my life when referring to actual products as when I read the posts of the idiots on FerrariChat. They are so hooked on marketing that they think everything is about the "brand". They have no cognition or regard whatsoever for the product and its actual qualities. ugh.

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi
post #3 of 10 Old 02-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
What's everyone's take on the car? Anyone here have one on order? Is Porsche screwed given the economic situation?
Not my kind of car, but having said that, it is a Porsche so will no doubt be capable of 300K miles without ever breaking down. Not as nice looking as the Maserati QP.

I think Porsche are more likely to survive the economic crisis than many other manufacturers, I'm sure I read somewhere that they are sitting on billions and billions of euros. Didn't they also take the hedge funds to the cleaners over VW shares a couple of months ago? Anyone who can afford to buy out the VW group can't be that short of cash.

Although they have suspended production and laid off some staff, I think they are just trying to run their business based on expected future income rather than using up their reserves.

Archie

post #4 of 10 Old 02-06-2009, 08:51 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
I have no definite opinion on the car. It is priced above the GT3 and just below the Turbo...It does sound and look pretty good. It seems like a decent competitor for the Maserati QP.

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #5 of 10 Old 02-07-2009, 06:56 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
I'm with Tony on this one. If it has room for 4 people and they all have their own door then it's not a supercar. I also think it's pretty ugly. Combine that with the fact that I'm totally annoyed with Porsche for building 17.000 types of 911's who are all pretty much the same (they have the laziest designers in the world) but not really (which is utterly confusing) and you might figure that I'm not a great fan of porsche.

Having said that... it's probably gonna be real popular with soccer players in the UK. Always a great yardstick to measure a car against. It's also probably gonna be a really good car that's technically about as perfect as can be. But it's still a porsche
post #6 of 10 Old 02-07-2009, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Chris, Excellent video, thanks for posting.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Thanx for the video, Chris. Never seen the car in motion before. No comment, no interest. Right now, probably the only Porsche that interests me would be the GT3RS. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #8 of 10 Old 02-07-2009, 01:42 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Thanx for the video, Chris. Never seen the car in motion before. No comment, no interest. Right now, probably the only Porsche that interests me would be the GT3RS. w/ smiles Jimmy
GT3RS now thats a Porsche

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #9 of 10 Old 02-08-2009, 04:40 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Not my cup of tea personally, but then neither is the Cayenne. I would however love a TDV8 Range Rover.

We have a relatively specific concept (physical, emotional etc etc etc) of what a Sportscar is or rather should be. I think that Tony hits it on the head...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony K View Post

It's a philosophical thing for me: If I want a sports car, I want to go all out, no compromises. Four seats and a large boot compromise the intrinsic purpose of a sports car. Taking a large car that can carry four or five people in comfort is inherently at odds with the concept of sports car. So anything that tries to be both is just not for me.
I think that Porsche in creating the Panamera are trying to create a segment in the sportscar/GT market to cater for those people who would not buy a 'traditional' sportscar because it doesn't allow them to share the experience with more than one person.

IMHO this car is not targetted at the NA/Western Europe markets, I think this is aimed at the emerging ME and Asian markets where the 'family' is a central tenet of daily life and therefore a 4 door, 4 seat 'sportscar' is in demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post

I think Porsche are more likely to survive the economic crisis than many other manufacturers, I'm sure I read somewhere that they are sitting on billions and billions of euros. Didn't they also take the hedge funds to the cleaners over VW shares a couple of months ago? Anyone who can afford to buy out the VW group can't be that short of cash.

Although they have suspended production and laid off some staff, I think they are just trying to run their business based on expected future income rather than using up their reserves.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony K View Post
If I'm going to own a 4-door sedan or saloon, it's going to be all about comfort and luxury. Like . . . a Vanden Plas.
So when it breaks down one can be stranded in the utmost luxury...

post #10 of 10 Old 02-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
The side looks like a 456 but what do I know?

12 cylinders or walk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode