Obama's speech? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 01-20-2009, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Obama's speech?

How did you guys feel about President Obama's speech?

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Not the best one I have heard from him but certainly one that rang from the heart and rang true.

He did a good job of poking bush with a fork though!
post #3 of 30 Old 01-21-2009, 12:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 453
I watched it and i thought it was ok. I am not really a politics sort of guy so i dont really know what qualifies of a great one. Maybe now countries that wont talk to the western world will...i dont know.
But on a personal note. As a mixed parentage guy my self (Black/White). Its a proud moment that i never thought i would ever see in my life time.
But i did certainly know that Lewis Hamilton was going to be world champion

post #4 of 30 Old 01-21-2009, 12:27 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I watched it and i thought it was ok. I am not really a politics sort of guy so i dont really know what qualifies of a great one. Maybe now countries that wont talk to the western world will...i dont know.
But on a personal note. As a mixed parentage guy my self (Black/White). Its a proud moment that i never thought i would ever see in my life time.
But i did certainly know that Lewis Hamilton was going to be world champion
Chaz, i'm pleased to see that I am not alone in supporting Lewis. I've been carry the flag for Lewis single handedly for the last 2 years on this forum, much to the annoyance of my Ferrari friends.

Regarding Obama, he's got a tough job on his hands - 2 wars and a collapsing economy. He isn't going to sort anything out over night and deserves time to put his policies into action. I'd love to see him do well as what he does also effects us in the UK. He is certainly a charismatic speaker, but action speaks louder than words.

Archie
post #5 of 30 Old 01-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Owner

I disturbingly heard this AM on the TV news that the conservative talk shows yesterday in the US were already spewing their garbage racist, hateful, and prejudicial remarks.

You'd think by now those low lifes would have been silenced.

This is the greatest moment in history and not just due to his ethnicity. It's because we finally have the intellect in the White House we should have.

I consider Mr. Obama as the Einstein of today.

And I believe that the inauguration had a higher viewership worldwide than when we landed our first astronauts on the moon 39 years ago!
post #6 of 30 Old 01-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post

He did a good job of poking bush with a fork though!
I missed that bit - did he bleed??

Quote:
And I believe that the inauguration had a higher viewership worldwide than when we landed our first astronauts on the moon 39 years ago!
NASA only have themselves to blame for that, what with all the Satellites they keep putting up there!

On a serious note I agree that listening to Mr Os eloquence is a refreshing change from listening to Dubyas incontinence, I mean incompetence. Actually I think I do mean incontinence.

Sincerely, I do hope the World changes a little bit. From my own point of view knowing that Dubya, Dick and Condi are no longer in the White House is enough to give me hope!

I know that a lot of people have pinned their hopes on Obama and maybe that is asking a lot of one man. Only time will tell...

I have a question, now that GWB has gone do you think that is the last we will hear from OBL aka 'the Bogeyman'?

post #7 of 30 Old 01-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
I 'liked' LH, but thinking --and I've read his interviews -- he's a bit recless now. Not a JPM recless, but close. His hero is Senna, and look where that led...great or not. His chance taking is gutsy and I like his spirit and ability...makes F1 more of a contest now than endless NASCAR with chicanes...sorry, but the new changes will help spice it up...thought he should have gotten it his rookie year, as this last year was marginal at best: Massa should have had it. Kimi

NOW, as for Obama before I hijack this thread, I agree with most, it was almost a let down, but, he is just a man, not Jesus. Give him a break..I don't know either what a great speech is as they usually only are great AFTER a fact, of which he is going into office. I agree he addressed more specifically the issues hurting us, but, then again, he specifically spent too much time addressing fine details, which I didn't get. GOOD thing is, he's seemingly an adult, and tackling the issues like one, not waiting on the sidelines pretending to be in control: LIKE that.

Giving him the keys, and hoping for the best, he'll need all the help out there. We are in a big, big mess and it's not going to get better I'm afraid, it is going to be a bit worse. 100 days, forget it, won't happen much.....give him over a year, perhaps two...it's that bad.

I know, feeling the pinches even MORE as I type.....

as for those that are pressing against his plans, well, they threw away the keys to the store on the last bunch and are still not realizing the ground has shifted greatly below them...don't get it, these are serious times needed serious addressings.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #8 of 30 Old 01-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Owner

At least he's a needed intellectual that's calm and patience. That alone will make a great change in the world.

Today he called foreign leaders and Hamas as well! He's trying to rebuild our worldly status.

Bush had nothing left to bleed!
post #9 of 30 Old 01-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Bush had nothing left to bleed!
I always thought he was not of this world...

post #10 of 30 Old 01-21-2009, 03:24 PM
Owner

We have finally rid our govermnet of the most dishonest administration this country has even seen.
post #11 of 30 Old 01-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
The speech was average. It is refreshing to see a new leader. Have to thank those guys 200+ years ago for writing a document that can be changed and for FDR pushing for term limits on Presidents.
post #12 of 30 Old 01-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
We'll see when the honeymoon is behind us. At least, it is a new start to have a more honest person in charge. We can all be an idealist, but that doesn't automatically mean real problems are solved. Obama seems to look up to FDR and his New Deal as the way to attack this economic mess originating from greed. However, there are some handful of economists claim that it was WWII that finally pulled the US out of that Depression, not the New Deals and other government programs, which often were implemented too little too late. Jimmy
post #13 of 30 Old 01-22-2009, 04:10 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
We'll see when the honeymoon is behind us. At least, it is a new start to have a more honest person in charge. We can all be an idealist, but that doesn't automatically mean real problems are solved. Obama seems to look up to FDR and his New Deal as the way to attack this economic mess originating from greed. However, there are some handful of economists claim that it was WWII that finally pulled the US out of that Depression, not the New Deals and other government programs, which often were implemented too little too late. Jimmy
I agree very much with Jimmy's statements. I'd like to add, though, that in the U.S., there are much more than a handful of economists who claim that it was WWII and not the New Deal that finally pulled the U.S. out of depression; from everything I've seen it's nearly agreed upon, so I'd think therefore that a siginificant number -- and probably the majority -- of economists in the U.S. would say so.

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi
post #14 of 30 Old 01-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
---- It is refreshing to see a new leader. ---
For me it's not just a new leader but his exceptional level of intellect and his stable approach to matters.
post #15 of 30 Old 01-22-2009, 08:19 AM
Owner

agree with all the above. There is a general sense of enlightenment, and true fwd-looking hope. A general SIGH, Relief, like a heavy weight has been lifted. Much of what has been drained and lacking over the last few years.

I'll give him more than 100 days for this mess....not even christ would want that deadline, it would embolden the enemy afterall.

True too that WWII probably pushed us our of the depression, but look at what the 'new deal' brought: infrastructure. Many of our parks, projects today that have given us prosperity--minus DE's hiway projects--made our lives better to produce better. Damn etc. etc. ...

We need to just put people to work on items that will improve over time, as BO stated...such as research and better infrasctructure to include basic means/mechanisims that can expand. Car companies are being formed, in CA up to four that I count that are giving us a foundation to have better choices and not just bling on the old tech....GM FORD CHRYSLER just added more cr$p to old stuff for 'improved' items.

I could go on. [where's my blog]

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #16 of 30 Old 01-22-2009, 08:40 AM
Owner

This just in:

Dear World:

We, the United States of America, your top quality supplier of the ideals of liberty and democracy, would like to apologize for our 2001-2008 interruption in service.

The technical fault that led to this eight-year service outage has been located, and the software responsible was replaced November 4. Early tests of the newly installed program indicate that we are now operating correctly, and we expect it to be fully functional as of January 20.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused by the outage.

We look forward to resuming full service and hope to improve in years to come.

We thank you for your patience and understanding,

Sincerely,

THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
post #17 of 30 Old 01-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
This just in:

Dear World:

We, the United States of America, your top quality supplier of the ideals of liberty and democracy, would like to apologize for our 2001-2008 interruption in service.

The technical fault that led to this eight-year service outage has been located, and the software responsible was replaced November 4. Early tests of the newly installed program indicate that we are now operating correctly, and we expect it to be fully functional as of January 20.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused by the outage.

We look forward to resuming full service and hope to improve in years to come.

We thank you for your patience and understanding,

Sincerely,

THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

We have some remnants of your previous administration here in the UK posing as our Politicians. Will you please advise them that they must vacate the premises with immediate effect.

Sincerely

post #18 of 30 Old 01-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1fosI View Post
We have some remnants of your previous administration here in the UK posing as our Politicians. ---
Are you referring to a Blairing mistake?
post #19 of 30 Old 01-22-2009, 02:11 PM
Owner

Quote:

LOL. or a Brown out

Actually, for those that don't know why it will not matter....I give you.......... http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/in...he-White-House
Attached Images

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #20 of 30 Old 01-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Indeed! Although as you know Former President Blair is currently Special Envoy to the Middle Eastern/Asian Lecture Circuit and has left his former Deputy, Vice-President Brown as ACTING President, in much the same way as Former President Bartlet was an acting-President in the land of 'Make Believe'.

It has been widely speculated that our acting President will make haste and dispatch himself to DC on the next available red-eye to ensure that the Special Relationship continues unabated. It has not been clarified whether he will be standing 'Shoulder to Shoulder' with the new resident of the White House however it is extremely likely that there will be a special case of Brown-nosing accompanying the visit.

This would of course be the perfect opportunity for your Commander in Chief to press the case for regime-change in perhaps what is the most undemocratic country in the Western World. A sort of 'new broom sweeps clean' type policy, whilst making it clear to Acting-President Brown that its 'nothing personal' much in the same way as was recently made clear to the children of Gaza.

[Edit] - Apologies, do not want to be too political. I cannot stand to see Mans inhumanity to Man wherever it may be in the World and to whomsoever it may apply.

Last edited by t1fosI; 01-22-2009 at 02:36 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode