Really getting disgusted - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 01-02-2009, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Really getting disgusted

Sorry for my little rant

Over the last year I have recived 3 tickets for "moving violations" that were questionable. I choose not to fight them and take my medicine like a good little citizen. 2 for 10 over the limit one for 15 over (a true and documented trap on route 100 in Vermont). These are the first tickets I have received in over 10 years and all were on secondary roads. In all cases the police were rude and obnoxious while I gracefully but begrudgingly took my medicine. It seemed as if they were testing me to see if they could make me react badly to "highten" the experience and subsiquent fine.

My problem is that the recipt of these tickets at a point in my life where I am truely slowing down and driving far more conservatively caused me to recall the experiences I have had with the police. I can truely say that I have never had a posative experience. It's either been neutral or bad in virtually every case. Even when my house was robbed the responding police chastized me for not having an automatic security light in the back yard. It seemed so obvious to them that a light would have prevented the crime therefore making it my fault.

I am also a very experienced driver logging about 50,000 miles per year on average. That experience allows me to see the privalege extended to police on our roads. They apparently don't need to concern themselves with the nussance of speed limits, hands free cell phone calls (even at high speeds), following a safe distance, or any of the other rules of the road that they are so willing to enforce upon the rest of us. Just exactly when were they released from the primary duty of protecting and serving? They don't protect me, in fact they endanger me almost daily.

Today I was issued a written warning for failure to keep to the right. I was in the left lane after passing some cars traveling slower than the limit. A police officer traveling somewhat faster than I (he caught up from behind) decided I did not get out of his way fast enough and figued I needed to be taught a lesson. When he explained what I had done wrong I apologized and informed him that I was late to an appointment to which he replied "license and registration please". 10 minutes later he gave me the written warning making me even later.

How do we citizens remind the police that authority does NOT mean entitlement?

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Yes Lane, some police do take their role as entitlement. We had one cop in my home town who blatently littered (throwing a candy bar wrapper out of the window of her cop car) and was brought up on charges by a civilian.

But don't forget, they deal with crap from "innocent" people all day long. Everybody lies and they're all guilty. I think if I was a cop I'd be the biggest asshole that ever walked the face of the earth.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #3 of 16 Old 01-02-2009, 06:45 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post
Sorry for my little rant

Over the last year I have recived 3 tickets for "moving violations" that were questionable. I choose not to fight them and take my medicine like a good little citizen. 2 for 10 over the limit one for 15 over (a true and documented trap on route 100 in Vermont). These are the first tickets I have received in over 10 years and all were on secondary roads. In all cases the police were rude and obnoxious while I gracefully but begrudgingly took my medicine. It seemed as if they were testing me to see if they could make me react badly to "highten" the experience and subsiquent fine.

My problem is that the recipt of these tickets at a point in my life where I am truely slowing down and driving far more conservatively caused me to recall the experiences I have had with the police. I can truely say that I have never had a posative experience. It's either been neutral or bad in virtually every case. Even when my house was robbed the responding police chastized me for not having an automatic security light in the back yard. It seemed so obvious to them that a light would have prevented the crime therefore making it my fault.

I am also a very experienced driver logging about 50,000 miles per year on average. That experience allows me to see the privalege extended to police on our roads. They apparently don't need to concern themselves with the nussance of speed limits, hands free cell phone calls (even at high speeds), following a safe distance, or any of the other rules of the road that they are so willing to enforce upon the rest of us. Just exactly when were they released from the primary duty of protecting and serving? They don't protect me, in fact they endanger me almost daily.

Today I was issued a written warning for failure to keep to the right. I was in the left lane after passing some cars traveling slower than the limit. A police officer traveling somewhat faster than I (he caught up from behind) decided I did not get out of his way fast enough and figued I needed to be taught a lesson. When he explained what I had done wrong I apologized and informed him that I was late to an appointment to which he replied "license and registration please". 10 minutes later he gave me the written warning making me even later.

How do we citizens remind the police that authority does NOT mean entitlement?
Oh wow, that is just wrong. I've gotten a ticket for 5 over which was the most ridiculous...and he was rude too. I was pulled over at gunpoint because they thought my Firebird was stolen. I've only had one positive experience with the police and that was today when I got into the accident....

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete

post #4 of 16 Old 01-02-2009, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
The security guard where I work is a retired cop. He was amazed to find out how people really feel about cops. He felt respected when he was active. After he retired people stopped lying to him and told him how they really feel.

Shocker...they all thought he was an A$$

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #5 of 16 Old 01-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Don't get me started on security guards. You take a homeless person, give them a uniform with a sewn-on badge, a big flashlight, pay them minimum wage and all of a sudden they think they are Walker, Texas Ranger. "Protector of the Parking Garage"!

Actually, when I retire I think I will apply for a job as a security guard. "Yeah buddy, I don't care if you've been in this garage everyday for the last month. I still need to see some ID."

Great gig. If you are a cop and you get in a bind you have to deal with it. If you are a security guard and you get in a bind you call the cops and let them deal with it.

Capt. Pete
post #6 of 16 Old 01-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
Yes Lane, some police do take their role as entitlement. We had one cop in my home town who blatently littered (throwing a candy bar wrapper out of the window of her cop car) and was brought up on charges by a civilian.

But don't forget, they deal with crap from "innocent" people all day long. Everybody lies and they're all guilty. I think if I was a cop I'd be the biggest asshole that ever walked the face of the earth.
Pete, we should all thank someone up in the sky for not making you an officer,...otherwise, you'd move right up to being the Chief !!! Meanwhile, don't let these things upset you, Bastage. Give yourself few days to get it out of your system. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #7 of 16 Old 01-03-2009, 12:39 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Pete, we should all thank someone up in the sky for not making you an officer,...otherwise, you'd move right up to being the Chief !!!
Yeah, instead I became a ship captain. Still an officer, just the senior ship's officer and I have total control over my own little world far away from land. You want to be my cabin boy, Jimmy? Just remember, the toilet paper feeds from the TOP! Get that right and we won't have any problems. For awhile.

The great thing about my job, if anyone has a problem with me the only person they can complain to is me.

(Of course I'm just joking here. I'm actually a very good Captain and well respected by my crew.)

Capt. Pete
post #8 of 16 Old 01-03-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Yeah, instead I became a ship captain. Still an officer, just the senior ship's officer and I have total control over my own little world far away from land. You want to be my cabin boy, Jimmy? Just remember, the toilet paper feeds from the TOP! Get that right and we won't have any problems. For awhile.

The great thing about my job, if anyone has a problem with me the only person they can complain to is me.

(Of course I'm just joking here. I'm actually a very good Captain and well respected by my crew.)
Sounds like my Chemistry II professor who was also the Dean. There were 40 people in the class originally and on the final day there were 13. He told us day 1, if you have a problem with the way I run my class you can consult the Dean...and I will be in my office at Noon.

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
post #9 of 16 Old 01-03-2009, 06:47 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post
Sounds like my Chemistry II professor who was also the Dean. There were 40 people in the class originally and on the final day there were 13. He told us day 1, if you have a problem with the way I run my class you can consult the Dean...and I will be in my office at Noon.

Chris
Sounds like my kind of guy. I got charged with teaching an introductory class in International Ship and Port Security. I pretty much said the same thing. "I can finish this lecture in 1/2 hour if I am not interrupted. So if you have any questions please see the Captain after the lecture."

Capt. Pete
post #10 of 16 Old 01-03-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Sounds like my kind of guy. I got charged with teaching an introductory class in International Ship and Port Security. I pretty much said the same thing. "I can finish this lecture in 1/2 hour if I am not interrupted. So if you have any questions please see the Captain after the lecture."
Sadly we were held over in class a lot, and he has us do twice the course load. He actually said his class was going to be a lot more "challenging" than any other Chemistry II course....He was right. I learned more in that class than any other class in college so far. Unfortunately, I was only able to obtain a C. Going into the final the class average was a whopping 55%.

Chris

post #11 of 16 Old 01-03-2009, 07:00 AM
Owner
Elite Member

The C hurts, but it sounds like he definately had an impact on your life and forced you to earn the C.

You know, I'm thinking if the class average was a 55%, either the class was too advanced or the instructor really sucked at teaching. Just from what you've told me I think the instructor was ok but he was pushing advanced material on people who were not ready for it.

Suck it up and work harder. Remember, half the people in the world are below average.

Capt. Pete
post #12 of 16 Old 01-03-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
The C hurts, but it sounds like he definately had an impact on your life and forced you to earn the C.

You know, I'm thinking if the class average was a 55%, either the class was too advanced or the instructor really sucked at teaching. Just from what you've told me I think the instructor was ok but he was pushing advanced material on people who were not ready for it.

Suck it up and work harder. Remember, half the people in the world are below average.
Yea, I studied an average of 8-12 hours a week just for his quizzes... He was a great professor, but as he said he didn't know how to write an easy exam. He likes to make them intellectually challenging. Since he is the Dean of the School of Engineering and Science, which is portion of Detroit Mercy, he signs off to allow you to go to Medical and Dental school. He tries to weed people out from the beginning.

Chris

post #13 of 16 Old 01-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Owner
Elite Member

It sounds like you loathe to see him, but you have great respect for him. I think I would have liked to have him for a professor. My favorite professor at the academy was the one everyone else hated. He challenged me and made me earn that A. There was nothing he could throw at me that I couldn't figure out.

Did I tell you that I did my calculus final in pen? The other kids had a bunch of pencils and sharpeners and erasers. I had one pen. The prof said, "well that's confidence." I said, "At this point either you know it or you don't."

Capt. Pete
post #14 of 16 Old 01-03-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
It sounds like you loathe to see him, but you have great respect for him. I think I would have liked to have him for a professor. My favorite professor at the academy was the one everyone else hated. He challenged me and made me earn that A. There was nothing he could throw at me that I couldn't figure out.

Did I tell you that I did my calculus final in pen? The other kids had a bunch of pencils and sharpeners and erasers. I had one pen. The prof said, "well that's confidence." I said, "At this point either you know it or you don't."
Yes, I have the up most respect for the man. And I do loathe to see him. He so far has been my greatest and hardest professor.

I also took the Calculus final in pen...I got a B and a B overall, but dude, its just math

Chris

post #15 of 16 Old 01-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post
Yes, I have the up most respect for the man. And I do loathe to see him. He so far has been my greatest and hardest professor.

I also took the Calculus final in pen...I got a B and a B overall, but dude, its just math

Chris
Yeah man, you've got the attitude!
Did I tell you that I walked out on my final quiz in Calculus class? The instructor gave 5 quizzes during the semester and was going to drop the lowest grade. When he passed out the final quiz he asked if there were any questions. I raised my hand and said, "Is it true you are dropping the lowest score?" He said, "Yes." And I got up and left. Oh man, my fellow students hated me right then and there. They had to do well on the quiz, I went to "The Reef" and drank beer.

We'll have to start a thread about spherical trigonometry or something.

Capt. Pete
post #16 of 16 Old 01-04-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Yeah man, you've got the attitude!
Did I tell you that I walked out on my final quiz in Calculus class? The instructor gave 5 quizzes during the semester and was going to drop the lowest grade. When he passed out the final quiz he asked if there were any questions. I raised my hand and said, "Is it true you are dropping the lowest score?" He said, "Yes." And I got up and left. Oh man, my fellow students hated me right then and there. They had to do well on the quiz, I went to "The Reef" and drank beer.

We'll have to start a thread about spherical trigonometry or something.
Hahaha, that is absolutely amazing!

Chris

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode