I got in an accident....(picture heavy) - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 109 Old 01-02-2009, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
I got in an accident....(Very Image heavy)

I was on my way to pick up my friend Alex to go to his gym and then go to Cauley Ferrari and Lamborghini of Troy....Unfortunately it did not turn out to go like this... I was driving down Gainsley turning onto 19 mile road as you can see in the picture(I am the silver car, and the red one was the Chevy Suburban. Where the red, yellow and green are is where the light is located. At certain times you may and may not turn on red. At the time this happened you are permitted to turn on red. He started to go, so I looked left to see oncoming traffic and BAM. I ran into the back of him. He stopped...Afterwards he said he thought it was a do not turn on red time...but you are permitted to turn on red at 10:30am. It turns out that the man that I hit (by the way not a scratch on his car...mine on the other hand...) turns out to be a coworker and friend of mine's father. He is not showing up for the court date so that I don't have to pay the ticket. My car is going to be gone for quite a while...

Another bad part of the story is that after the accident I went to reach for the door handle and then the airbag went off.....about 2-3 seconds after the accident was over....

Chris
Attached Images

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete

Last edited by Chrishawk4; 01-02-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 109 Old 01-02-2009, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Here start the pictures of my poor car. BTW I was not hurt in any way.

Picture 1: Backed up to the side of the road after the accident
Picture 2: Same place, shows the damage done...
Picture 3: Keep in mind this was around 10 mph or less....look at the hood
Attached Images

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
post #3 of 109 Old 01-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
No more COBOLT Thread whaaaaaaaaaa [but seriously ... glad you are ok....now, sue the guy for a new Ferrari, or to pay off your loans ]

BTW, this car is now a TOTAL...those air bags just made that a reality....what are you going to get next? I have a Mondial T sitting here
Attached Images

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

post #4 of 109 Old 01-02-2009, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Picture 1: Driving on my way home from the accident (thank God it still ran)

Picture 2: It is just unbelievable that his bumper and trailer hitch did this much damage at such a slow speed

Picture 3: This is the car as I got it home..
Attached Images

post #5 of 109 Old 01-02-2009, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

I just can't get over the hood....it folded like paper...I still can't believe the airbag deployed improperly.
Attached Images

post #6 of 109 Old 01-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Owner

Chris: it's totaled.....go shopping.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #7 of 109 Old 01-02-2009, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

There was only 1 scratch on my entire car..the first picture shows it took the scratch out. Right were that little hole is in the bumper was the only scratch...I have several more now

In the second picture it is my friend Alex's Impreza, we didn't go to the Ferrari dealership to say the least.

I only have 18k miles on the car...I've got it another 31k miles though. I hope it comes back looking like it did before....
Attached Images

post #8 of 109 Old 01-02-2009, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

I did however get more looks than a Ferrari owner

I don't even want to think what would happen if I had been in an accident at a higher speed...
Attached Images

post #9 of 109 Old 01-02-2009, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

...The hood is obnoxious.
Attached Images

post #10 of 109 Old 01-02-2009, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Well these are the last pictures....I won't see the Cobalt for a couple weeks best, my guess. It is not totaled, thank God. Unfortunately it isn't cheap (according to my funds).
Attached Images

post #11 of 109 Old 01-02-2009, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
Chris: it's totaled.....go shopping.
Nope, not totaled. I'm sure it will be quite a while before I get it back. I do get to go to Hertz tomorrow to pick up a rental....1st time driving automatic in months...that will be fun....

Chris

post #12 of 109 Old 01-02-2009, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
No more COBOLT Thread whaaaaaaaaaa [but seriously ... glad you are ok....now, sue the guy for a new Ferrari, or to pay off your loans ]

BTW, this car is now a TOTAL...those air bags just made that a reality....what are you going to get next? I have a Mondial T sitting here
Hmm....Mondial T...Cobalt....hmmm Thanks an easy one

Chris

post #13 of 109 Old 01-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Glad your OK.

Shame about the cobalt, I was warming up to them.

To prevent future mishaps I recommend replacing it with a Suburban, Yukon, or similarly high and durable machine. There are SUV drivers and there are victims of SUV drivers and its nice to know a Prius can't scratch the paint of a Yukon (mostly because it can't reach that high)

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #14 of 109 Old 01-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Owner

Chris; Seriously, I would be very very surprised this is not totaled. The cost of the repairs is in the $3-6K category,

THEN

the air-bags = about $1k

it's totaled...GO SHOPPING....

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #15 of 109 Old 01-02-2009, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post
Glad your OK.

Shame about the cobalt, I was warming up to them.

To prevent future mishaps I recommend replacing it with a Suburban, Yukon, or similarly high and durable machine. There are SUV drivers and there are victims of SUV drivers and its nice to know a Prius can't scratch the paint of a Yukon (mostly because it can't reach that high)
I'll just buy a Ram 3500 I'm sure Pete would approve.

Chris

post #16 of 109 Old 01-02-2009, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Chris; Seriously, I would be very very surprised this is not totaled. The cost of the repairs is in the $3-6K category,

THEN

the air-bags = about $1k

it's totaled...GO SHOPPING....
I can only hope that it isn't, I have no money, literally. Also, I don't know exactly what happens because this is a lease, and I still have about 2 years left on it. My dad is at the dealership right now, because my mom's Trailblazer needs an oil change, so he is currently talking to them about my car. So far he hasn't called me....so I think that is a good thing...

Chris

post #17 of 109 Old 01-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Hey Chris, sorry to here about and see the pics of your car. Hope that you are OK? Don't worry about it, it's only a piece of metal and can either be fixed or replaced.

Archie
post #18 of 109 Old 01-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post
I can only hope that it isn't, I have no money, literally. Also, I don't know exactly what happens because this is a lease, and I still have about 2 years left on it. My dad is at the dealership right now, because my mom's Trailblazer needs an oil change, so he is currently talking to them about my car. So far he hasn't called me....so I think that is a good thing...

Chris

think silver lining.....I am

PS: Had this EXACT same type accident about five years ago. Came off an off ramp, a car was in front of me making a right hand merge into the cross street.

I looked left as it was easy....THEY BRAKED and I rammed them. They were Japanese tourists, and I had a lot of phone calls to make to their rental agency....

For what ever reason, NOTHING ever came of it. No ticket, no payments to the rental agency no further communication after a few days...I never figured it out...it's like it never happend

The rental agency about six months later, say to forget it ????

whatever...

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #19 of 109 Old 01-02-2009, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
Hey Chris, sorry to here about and see the pics of your car. Hope that you are OK? Don't worry about it, it's only a piece of metal and can either be fixed or replaced.
That is very true. I am doing very well...like I said thank God I didn't need the airbag, because it went off at the wrong time. It will hopefully be fixed, haven't heard from them yet. I hope it is dealt with soon, because I start school Monday.

Chris

post #20 of 109 Old 01-02-2009, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
think silver lining.....I am

PS: Had this EXACT same type accident about five years ago. Came off an off ramp, a car was in front of me making a right hand merge into the cross street.

I looked left as it was easy....THEY BRAKED and I rammed them. They were Japanese tourists, and I had a lot of phone calls to make to their rental agency....

For what ever reason, NOTHING ever came of it. No ticket, no payments to the rental agency no further communication after a few days...I never figured it out...it's like it never happend

The rental agency about six months later, say to forget it ????

whatever...
What car was it? So they must have had really good insurance to not bother you. How much damage was done to the other car?

Chris

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode