My new winter car / daily driver - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 465
My new winter car / daily driver

I have to say, I am a big fan of the Porsche 944. I bought my first one more than ten years ago, and it was the best daily driver I had ever had. Since then, I owned a total of six of them, putting a combined over 250K miles on them, including 92k miles on one alone.

I don't care if they are not fast by today's standards. I don't care if their market value is so low. Intrinsically, as a car, they are great machines:

- high quality parts, materials, fittings, etc., throughout
- galvanized bodies
- excellent safety ratings in their day
- great fuel economy for a sports car
- comfortable on long trips
- easy to drive in city traffic
- great visibility
- very practical
- excellent handling
- excellent brakes
- general longevity and heavy duty nature
- engine sounds cool
- purposeful styling
- fun and reliable
- a thoroughbred, as it is the progeny of a LeMans racer

Some of the late 944s (like S2 cabriolets and Turbo S models) are very exquisite, but even the most humble of 944s (like, say, a 1984 model with "cookie cutter" wheels) is a pleasure to drive and a respectable car.

With that said, today I picked up my 7th 944: A very simple silver on black example to use as my daily driver when I start my new job (and no longer have a company-provided car) in January:

Awful picture, I know. It is the seller's photo. Dirty and wet in the photo; doesn't do the car justice.

Same thing with the interior shot; The glare of the camera flash deceives. In real life it looks fine. Will post better pics soon...

The engine bay, too, looks better in person. But note the clear brake fluid with the date (June 08) written on the reservoir, the genuine Porsche battery, the presence of all of the little rubber grommets, and overall good order of the engine bay. Not bad for an unrestored 25 year old car that has been used only as transportation.

It is a 1984 model whose options include leather seats, rear wiper, and limited-slip differential. (Those last two are perfect for winter!) It has 65k original miles (which is low compared to most 944s), everything works, full service history, all service up to date, no leaks, no stories. The seller included some much better looking "phone dial" wheels in place of the "cookie cutter" wheels that are on it.

The car's history is ideal for an old car: One couple bought it new from a dealership in the Detroit area where they have been long-time customers. They had all of the service performed there and the same technician has been servicing it for over 20 years now. In April of this year, they were done with it and came to trade it in to buy a new Porsche, and the technician who had serviced it all these years bought it. He has been driving it daily, but has too many other cars and just didn't need it.

Buying the car from this gentleman was a pleasure. He lives farther north of Detroit, so he brought it to the dealership (which is closer for me). When I arrived there, he pulled it into the service area and raised it on a lift for me to inspect. We went over the car's service history, he was gracious in answering all of my questions, printed a carfax report from one of the sales guys, and we went on a test drive long enough to satisfy all of my concerns (and we discussed the bits of the car during the drive). His price was fair, I paid him cash, shook his hand, and thanked him for making the process of inspecting and purchasing the car a pleasurable one.

I drove the car home in the afternoon traffic with a big smile on my face, confident and comfortable in my new-to-me old car. Tomorrow I will put the Nokian Hakka RSis from my white 1985.5 944 (already on phone dials) onto this car, and begin enjoying it daily in the winter.

I like my old cars. I have a lot of fun with them, and this one -- both the car and the experience of buying it -- has made me particularly happy, as simple and plain as it is.

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi

Last edited by Tony K; 12-30-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
OK Tony, You've convinced me. I've never before owned a Porsche but now I must try out a 944.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #3 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 465
My road warrior:

1985.5 944. Forged "fuchs" wheels, burgundy interior, leveled suspension with thicker 944 Turbo sway bars.

It currently has about 168k miles. I really like this car. It is due for a timing belt and various other maintenance and service, but I'm just going to put it off until spring/summer and drive the silver car instead. But I like the white one too much to let go -- my favorite color combo, and I've done more than 60k miles on it, lots of happy memories.

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi

post #4 of 22 Old 12-30-2008, 11:24 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Very nice! I once had the opportunity to trade my Firebird for a 944, but ended up deciding to not do it.

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #5 of 22 Old 12-31-2008, 03:22 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Porche's legendary reliability and build quality make an older model a very practical and different form of every day transport. I have a friend who swears by them. Makes a nice change from the run of the mill mass produced daily drivers. Have fun.

Archie
post #6 of 22 Old 01-01-2009, 07:08 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Tony, a great car to a great owner. Enjoy it and have fun!

BTW: your garage is pretty cool, isn't it? Ferrari, Porsche, Lotus... Many legends in there! I like the way you treat them as dear things, but still just cars!

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #7 of 22 Old 01-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Thanx for the great pics, Tony. Great to know someone who appreciates the value of 944. They are absolutely well conceived and executed front engine Porsche. Unfortunately, somehow it didn't really catch on probably because avid Porsche fans consider rear engine to be the one. 944s are great cars. Looking forward to future pics and follow up stories. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #8 of 22 Old 01-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Awesome Tony I too love the 944 I have owned no less that 5 of them including my cabriolet now.
Attached Images

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #9 of 22 Old 01-03-2009, 12:09 AM
Owner

That's a keeper, Nightlife. She's beautiful ! Any experiences w/ the final year turbo model ? Just curious. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #10 of 22 Old 01-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
Awesome Tony I too love the 944 I have owned no less that 5 of them including my cabriolet now.
Wow! That's a stunning car! OK you guys, I'm going to go look for a 944 and give it a try. I want one like Roberto's.

Capt. Pete
post #11 of 22 Old 01-03-2009, 11:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
That's a keeper, Nightlife. She's beautiful ! Any experiences w/ the final year turbo model ? Just curious. w/ smiles Jimmy
I drove in one they are a bat out of hell when that turbo kicks in hang on for dear life wow. The reason I like mine is that it is a 3Lt instead of the 2.7 which are most of the turbos it is slightly slower than a turbo but the engine isn't as stressed.

Pete if you want one I definitely advise it they are an absolute all round great car and I get just as many looks with it as my Ferrari, well maybe a little less..

I added a body package to it chipped it up to 250HP 19" Euromiester rims and custom interior with short shift and Euro fog lamps.

0-60 under 6 sec top speed over 155mph and it is awesome on gas

Oh and I replaced the Porsche badge with a badge of the Italian auto makers Giannini which happens to be my last name lol people think it is an Italian car.
Attached Images

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson

Last edited by Night Life; 01-04-2009 at 12:07 AM.
post #12 of 22 Old 01-04-2009, 01:47 AM
Owner

Very nice touch there. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #13 of 22 Old 01-04-2009, 04:56 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
Oh and I replaced the Porsche badge with a badge of the Italian auto makers Giannini which happens to be my last name lol people think it is an Italian car.
That's awesome. Nice touch.

So you are saying that if I go for one I should look for a 2.7 liter turbo? Any paticular year?

Capt. Pete
post #14 of 22 Old 01-04-2009, 06:37 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
The 944 is an awesome car and I am pretty sure the Turbos performed as well as the 911s of the same year.

Pete, my brother has one in his garage that he might be selling. It is a white 944 turbo and I think the internal Porsche model is "951" for his model.
post #15 of 22 Old 01-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Pete, my brother has one in his garage that he might be selling. It is a white 944 turbo and I think the internal Porsche model is "951" for his model.
Is this the same brother who sold me his name a couple of years ago for $2? That was great! For $2 I purchased your brother's identity. I might as well have his car.

I don't care much for white though. Where is the car? Georgia?

Capt. Pete
post #16 of 22 Old 01-04-2009, 09:02 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 36
Remember me? I've been gone for a few years. Good to be back. I just logged in and found that I had a 1 1/2 year old PM from a guy who got banned from this site. Is it too late to respond?
post #17 of 22 Old 01-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Owner
Elite Member

For those that missed the sale of the century here's the link to the thread involving Andrew's brother selling his online identity for a couple of bucks:
http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5844

Capt. Pete
post #18 of 22 Old 01-04-2009, 10:46 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
For those that missed the sale of the century here's the link to the thread involving Andrew's brother selling his online identity for a couple of bucks:
http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5844
Haha, I remember that. Definitely the sale of the century.

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #19 of 22 Old 01-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Car is in St. Louis
post #20 of 22 Old 01-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 34
I have an '84, and it is a great car. It has Weltmeister sway bars, Bilstein coil over suspension, 5 point harness and 17" 993 wheels with track tires mounted. It handles awesome, and is a good track car.

Doesn't give me the excitment as my 308 does, but I like it. The interior on the '85.5 and up is much nicer though.

I worked at a Porsche dealer for 3 years and would see so many 944's come through that were junk as you could buy the car cheap, but the always had deferred maintance, and the people never spent the money to keep them up. To see nice clean ones that are kept up will be a rarity in years to come.

Scott
'77 308 GTB

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode