Very bad night... - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 12-28-2008, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Very bad night...

I was driving down a two lane highway on my way home from my friends birthday party at 2 am. I was driving next to a new 2009 Ford F150 which is a gigantic truck. Cruising at 70 mph down the highway it was foggy because it was 57 F all day and the 10 inches of snow was melting. I saw 2 people on the side of the road about 100 feet in front of me and then I saw 2 gigantic chunks of ice thrown in the air...I was not able to do anything, one smashed into my windshield, but the F150 swerved to the left and off the highway and swerved right towards my lane. I pounded the brake pedal through the floor and screeched to a quick halt (70-0 on a Cobalt isn't terribly bad.) Nobody was behind me so I jumped out of my car and stared at the two shadows on the side of the road. I was silent....I didn't yell...I couldn't, no sound would come out. They were frozen and then booked it into the backyards butted up to the highway. I got back in my car and proceeded to go home...I barely could shift I was shaking so bad. If I didn't slam on the brakes I would've been ran over by 5434.4 pounds of metal. (extended cab). My car only weighs 2742.6 pounds.

I'm surprised my window didn't shatter...due to the nice size cracks.

PS-Drive carefully
And the people throwing ice on the side of the road

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete

Last edited by Chrishawk4; 12-28-2008 at 12:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-28-2008, 12:52 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Wow Chris, pretty scary. Nothing like being in a Cobalt at 70 mph with an F150 sideways in front of you. You are lucky you didn't wipe out and total your car. Stupid fucking kids. They probably thought what they were doing was fun. You are right in that we all need to be very careful with our driving. You never know what will happen. Glad you kept your cool. If it were me their parents would probably be sueing me for assaulting their innocent children.

That's one of the things I like about my Chevy Silverado with the 7' V-plow on the front. That snow plow really gives you a sense of security. Cobalts sideways in front of me at 70 mph are really not much of a concern to my safety. I'd just knock 'em to the side. Seat belts, air bags and a V-plow. There's not too many accidents I can get into that I can't walk away from. I don't have that same sense of security in the 308. With that car you rely on handling and brakes to get you out of trouble. With the Chevy pick-up, you rely on the plow.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #3 of 17 Old 12-28-2008, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
If it were me their parents would probably be sueing me for assaulting their innocent children.
If it weren't so damn foggy I would've.....said hi....erm....or something like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
That's one of the things I like about my Chevy Silverado with the 7' V-plow on the front. That snow plow really gives you a sense of security. Cobalts sideways in front of me at 70 mph are really not much of a concern to my safety. I'd just knock 'em to the side.
So much for my brilliant idea of cutting you off

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France

post #4 of 17 Old 12-28-2008, 02:05 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Thank goodness, everything was okay despite the incident. Driving in snow and ice is scary no matter how careful you are. Take care, Chris. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #5 of 17 Old 12-28-2008, 07:30 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 39
I know how surprized & angry you must have been. Glad you were not hurt. A similar incident happened to me though it was no one's intentional fault. I was coming down a overpass in my vette at a good speed. Next i hear a loud noize & my windshield is shattered. Scared the hell out of me i thought someone shot at me. I slow down & pull over on the side of the road & find myself on the side of a golf course. Hit by a golf ball. Could do nothing but go home angry.
What a stupid place to put a golf course under a overpass.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-28-2008, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasso View Post
I know how surprized & angry you must have been. Glad you were not hurt. A similar incident happened to me though it was no one's intentional fault. I was coming down a overpass in my vette at a good speed. Next i hear a loud noize & my windshield is shattered. Scared the hell out of me i thought someone shot at me. I slow down & pull over on the side of the road & find myself on the side of a golf course. Hit by a golf ball. Could do nothing but go home angry.
What a stupid place to put a golf course under a overpass.
Oh wow, that is terrible. Playing on some narrow courses in the past I can see how a ball could slice off the course...but building the course next to an expressway is just plain stupid, without putting a guard net.

Chris

post #7 of 17 Old 12-28-2008, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Thank goodness, everything was okay despite the incident. Driving in snow and ice is scary no matter how careful you are. Take care, Chris. w/ smiles Jimmy
Thanks Jimmy. This was the first day with now snow or ice on the road, and unfortunately a couple of immature teens decided to ruin a few people's day. I can only be thankful that nothing happened to either me or my car.

Chris

post #8 of 17 Old 12-28-2008, 06:50 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
glad to know you got out unharmed

it would be specially bad to have an accident at this time of the year, when everything is about happiness, hope and joy with our family and friends

goes to show that you can never be too careful...

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #9 of 17 Old 12-28-2008, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post
Thanks Jimmy. This was the first day with now snow or ice on the road, and unfortunately a couple of immature teens decided to ruin a few people's day. I can only be thankful that nothing happened to either me or my car.

Chris
Edit: This was the first day without snow or ice on the road.

Chris

post #10 of 17 Old 12-29-2008, 07:50 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
even without snow on the road, people are still idiots even when driving. A very big machine gun, or perhaps a rocket launcher installed in a car would not be without merit in a situation like this...

I would totally support and apply for it.

Glad you got out OK Chris, but next time, please retalliate !!
post #11 of 17 Old 12-29-2008, 08:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,192
glad you are ok

now......you owe it to the parents and/or the perps involved to set their a$$ straight: no time like the present to just report it to the cops, and let them be aware....they'll put the fear of god into them, and, well, that will start them on the correct path...hopefully.

rik

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #12 of 17 Old 12-29-2008, 10:13 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Glad your OK Chris the Cobalt comes through once again if you would of been in a 355 you might be dead or kill yourself after you find out how much it costs to fix it

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #13 of 17 Old 12-29-2008, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
Glad your OK Chris the Cobalt comes through once again if you would of been in a 355 you might be dead or kill yourself after you find out how much it costs to fix it
This is true...although I could've stopped quicker, thus allowing me to get out and kick the teens' @sses hehe

Chris

post #14 of 17 Old 12-30-2008, 07:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Thanks God, nothing physically happened to you !!!
post #15 of 17 Old 12-30-2008, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Thanks God, nothing physically happened to you !!!
I was definitely more glad that I had not been hurt than the fact that my car hadn't been.

Chris

post #16 of 17 Old 12-30-2008, 08:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
Those two people would have seen my thinking. Someone who plays a game with me had better be able to play the game. Some blood may go onto the table of life.

12 cylinders or walk
post #17 of 17 Old 12-30-2008, 09:41 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Those two people would have seen my thinking. Someone who plays a game with me had better be able to play the game. Some blood may go onto the table of life.
Bart, see my signature. Very appropriate.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode