Ferrari F1 B-Team ? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-08-2008, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Ferrari F1 B-Team ?

With Honda dropping out of F1 next year, should Ferrari step up and form a B-Team (possibly under the Maserati banner???)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-08-2008, 01:28 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
With Honda dropping out of F1 next year, should Ferrari step up and form a B-Team (possibly under the Maserati banner???)?
No. Where are they going to get the money from? In any case, you cannot just create an F1 team out of nothing.

Jonathan
post #3 of 10 Old 12-08-2008, 01:44 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
It would be nice to see more competition in F1, and bringing back old names such as Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Lotus, BRM, Van Wall ...etc would appeal to the romantics who still love the glory days of F1 when men were still men.

I'm not sure how the corporate politics within Fiat would work if Maserati were the B team. Would there be orders that Maserati would have to pull over and let Ferrari pass? (not that this happens with RB or TR) Personally, I can't see it working though.

I would like to see more private (non engine manufacturer) teams, but given the current climate I can't see this happening.

There have been rumours in that past that Aston Martin, VAG (Audi or Bentley) and Hyundai/Kia were seriously considering a move into F1 in 2010/2011. Has the current downturn put an end to this too?

One thing for sure is that 18 drivers on the grid, and possibly 16 if Toyota go will not be good for the sport.

Archie

post #4 of 10 Old 12-08-2008, 08:35 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Agree with Archie. Long gone are the days that F1 drivers had to qualify just to be in the race when there were only 26 starting positions and 30 cars competing. With only 18 or even 16 cars left it's not a proper race anymore. Try to imagine a huge track like Spa-Francorchamps in belgium (7.004 km or 4.352 miles long) with just 16 cars... it's horrible. You'd be really waiting for cars to come by. In this very rare case, americans actually do it better with Nascar (40+ cars on tiny tracks like Bristol) and Inystuff.

I'd be very truely deliriously happy with the return of Proper Names (notice the capital P and N) like BRM and Lotus and Maserati. I'd love it even more if they would turn back the clock 40 or 50 years and build and race around with the cars of that era. I get the shivers just imagening it. I was born too late
post #5 of 10 Old 12-08-2008, 10:44 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basosz View Post
Agree with Archie. Long gone are the days that F1 drivers had to qualify just to be in the race when there were only 26 starting positions and 30 cars competing. With only 18 or even 16 cars left it's not a proper race anymore. Try to imagine a huge track like Spa-Francorchamps in belgium (7.004 km or 4.352 miles long) with just 16 cars... it's horrible. You'd be really waiting for cars to come by. In this very rare case, americans actually do it better with Nascar (40+ cars on tiny tracks like Bristol) and Inystuff.

I'd be very truely deliriously happy with the return of Proper Names (notice the capital P and N) like BRM and Lotus and Maserati. I'd love it even more if they would turn back the clock 40 or 50 years and build and race around with the cars of that era. I get the shivers just imagening it. I was born too late
Previously being a huge fan of Nascar, I use to love the Bristol race...because 42 of the 43 cars would crash....that would be bad in F1...But they do need more that 16 cars, that would be horrible.

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #6 of 10 Old 12-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
There are rumours that if another team goes to the wall that teams will be allowed to field 3 cars instead of 2. The claim is that it wouldn't noticeably increase teams budgets as they all have test drivers and spare cars. At least that way the grid might be back up to 24 cars again.

Archie
post #7 of 10 Old 12-08-2008, 11:34 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
There are rumours that if another team goes to the wall that teams will be allowed to field 3 cars instead of 2. The claim is that it wouldn't noticeably increase teams budgets as they all have test drivers and spare cars. At least that way the grid might be back up to 24 cars again.
I don't think every team can afford to race three cars (especially the smaller teams like Force India), since you also need another crew to operate the thing, but it's true that it wouldn't cost as much as the R&D on the carr. R&D is the biggest drain on the budget. 3 cars a team would be a solution at least to some teams.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-08-2008, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtremlett View Post
No. Where are they going to get the money from? In any case, you cannot just create an F1 team out of nothing.

Jonathan
Considering it would use both Ferrari engines and Ferrari chassis, the extra cost of running a second team for the Fiat grop would probably be less than half the cost of an fully independent team.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-08-2008, 11:45 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
I believe that was part of the agrement the teams had with Ecclestone. However, in the current economic climate I very much doubt they'd want to run more cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Considering it would use both Ferrari engines and Ferrari chassis, the extra cost of running a second team for the Fiat grop would probably be less than half the cost of an fully independent team.
True, but it would still cost more money than not running another team and why would Ferrari or anyone else be wanting to spend more money right now?

Jonathan
post #10 of 10 Old 12-11-2008, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtremlett View Post

True, but it would still cost more money than not running another team and why would Ferrari or anyone else be wanting to spend more money right now?

Jonathan
As much as F1 needs Ferrari, Ferrari needs F1. It is their global advertising program. Without F1, Ferrari becomes just another small supercar manufactuer.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode