How do you do it? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 12-07-2008, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
How do you do it?

I wanted Ferrari as long as I remember. I have held this goal so high, that the thought of going through life with out the opportunity to own one would be shear devastation. After having finally been able to drive one ONCE, I'm 100% sold, and all my childhood love for Ferrari's was completely justified.

From what I've gathered, I can conclude that Ferrari owners are not the typical sports car enthusiast and when you get behind the wheel you can't help but smile. You know what you have is like nothing else on the road. The sense of accomplishment must be so overwhelming.

Anyways, let me get to my question. How do I get one? It's a simple question with probably many complicated answers, but I have to know. From Ferrari owners that I've talked to over the years (which is not many), I understand that It's almost a necessity to go to college, Well I'm there and a sophomore at Central Michigan University and double majoring in Logistics Management and Marketing, with a minor in Professional Sales.

How did you guys do it? I have to know.

Thanks,

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-07-2008, 07:26 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlescent View Post
I wanted Ferrari as long as I remember. I have held this goal so high, that the thought of going through life with out the opportunity to own one would be shear devastation. After having finally been able to drive one ONCE, I'm 100% sold, and all my childhood love for Ferrari's was completely justified.

From what I've gathered, I can conclude that Ferrari owners are not the typical sports car enthusiast and when you get behind the wheel you can't help but smile. You know what you have is like nothing else on the road. The sense of accomplishment must be so overwhelming.

Anyways, let me get to my question. How do I get one? It's a simple question with probably many complicated answers, but I have to know. From Ferrari owners that I've talked to over the years (which is not many), I understand that It's almost a necessity to go to college, Well I'm there and a sophomore at Central Michigan University and double majoring in Logistics Management and Marketing, with a minor in Professional Sales.

How did you guys do it? I have to know.

Thanks,

Matt
Welcome Matt, I too am on this Ferrari journey. I am a Sophomore at the University of Detroit Mercy. The only thing you can do is work hard, persevere, and never give up. There are Police officers, Captains, Club owners, CEOs, and whatever else you can imagine on here. A Ferrari is always obtainable if you put your mind to it, and work really hard. Speaking of working very hard. I have finals starting tomorrow, time to get back to studying.

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #3 of 17 Old 12-08-2008, 06:41 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post
There are Police officers, Captains, Club owners, CEOs, and whatever else you can imagine on here.
Also, there's me... but I'm a very good/bad example to live by since I don't particularly like ferrrari At least... not the newer ones. Old cars (30+ years) are always good. So if you want an antique f-car: study/work hard and follow the advice of the guys on this forum. If you want a newer one: please don't !!!!

post #4 of 17 Old 12-08-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basosz View Post
Also, there's me... but I'm a very good/bad example to live by since I don't particularly like ferrrari At least... not the newer ones. Old cars (30+ years) are always good. So if you want an antique f-car: study/work hard and follow the advice of the guys on this forum. If you want a newer one: please don't !!!!
What a great response Bas, you are so insightful I guess I am in the please don't category. hehe

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
post #5 of 17 Old 12-08-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
What a great response Bas, you are so insightful
I aim to please I also aim at newer ferraris by the way
post #6 of 17 Old 12-08-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basosz View Post
I aim to please I also aim at newer ferraris by the way
Hahaha

Chris

post #7 of 17 Old 12-09-2008, 04:57 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 90
Well, as a Deputy Sheriff I'll never be able to own a F430 (kinda hard to do on 56k a year. Haaaaa) But, there are other cars in my range that I'm sure I would enjoy.

I'll say this: Don't ever give up on your dream,,,NEVER! Good luck w/your schooling. I look up to anyone w/a 4yr degree.

Last edited by Wade95; 12-09-2008 at 05:32 AM.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade95 View Post
Well, as a Deputy Sheriff I'll never be able to own a F430 (kinda hard to do on 56k a year. Haaaaa) But, there are other cars in my range that I'm sure I would enjoy.

I'll say this: Don't ever give up on your dream,,,NEVER! Good luck w/your schooling. I look up to anyone w/a 4yr degree.

correct wade.....Know of a few Deputy Sheriff's that have exotics.

Pick an example you can live with. Pull the trigger, work at that example. Then make 'other' decisions.

I as above wanted one, decided I would acquire one, then one day, an example came along where it 'seemed' affordable. I made it my 'Bucket list'...things to do before I die. Didn't want to be on the death bed saying 'ya' know, should have, could have didn't...'

There are plenty of examples of 20-35k cars out there. Thing is, there are NO deals in Ferraris unless you stumble into something of a miracle: NOT.

Less expensive models usually require more in fixin' ... but, so what. You get what you pay for.

Here's the thing...yes, maintenance 'can' be high, as I do for I haven't the facilities to even change my own oil. BUT, over the course of ownership
a. the price on older models remains about frozen.
b. maintenance is the cost of ownership, not the depreciation
c. IF making car payments, as I do, negotiate < 2% loans...That's what I've done. Yep, admit it...I finance them...but, less cost of ownership as I put the real money into better return investments.
d. IF you can do some of your work, then do so...BUT, remember a qualified mechanic is GOLD...IF they know their stuff. They will inspect, find, fix recommend issues before during the event saving the car.
e. DO the specified maintenances...
IF you must sell, then look at it this way, you could be driving a 30-50k american make, which depreciates, and costs you... OR a Ferrari for less overall costs, which can be sold for very nearly what you paid...LESS yearly maintenance. Say you spend, upwards of $6k/year. divided by 12 = $500 month..BUT your are in a FERRARI !!! much different. IF maintenance is just minor your cost of monthly payments goes way down. AND the value is kept....

seemed to me in my simple logic/math mussing when buying that it made actual sense.
then not
then did
then, don't care: I've even acquired another and looking for more, after I sort/upgrade a few items on the ones I have now [want to redo the leather, exhaust, pedals, perhaps repaint, etc.]

My only advice to you is IF a toy/extra then don't bet the rent
IF more than that, like a daily driver-ish, then it's worth it, Even if you have responsibilities like children wife, home food etc.

IF it fulfills a passion, then YES, but if as a symbol, then NO..only if you can afford the latter....too many examples, especially now, of persons selling at a loss just because...ME, I'll sell the truck and keep the Ferrari.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #9 of 17 Old 12-09-2008, 11:52 AM

Granucci: Hear ya loud and clear on that sir. Gotta get these young'n's in regular school so a bunch of money is free'd up for a new toy. Darn day care is killin me. Haaaaaaaaa
post #10 of 17 Old 12-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade95 View Post
Granucci: Hear ya loud and clear on that sir. Gotta get these young'n's in regular school so a bunch of money is free'd up for a new toy. Darn day care is killin me. Haaaaaaaaa

ya' kids

gotta keep em in the straight n narrow...some kind of law or other

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #11 of 17 Old 12-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
Ever since I was a kid, I dreamed of owning an exotic car. But like most young guys, had to start small and work my way up. I started out in musclecars, then got into Vettes, and finally into my first Ferrari....a Testarossa. I'm lucky because I can do all of my own work, which saves a bundle. If you set down some goals...you WILL get a Ferrari some day. I'm just a hard working blue collar guy - and I did it.
post #12 of 17 Old 12-11-2008, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Much appreciated guys. As for myself, owning a Ferrari would definitely fulfill a passion, and not simply a status symbol. I feel like many of owners have always wanted a Ferrari since childhood, I hope one day I can join the club.

Thanks,
Matt
post #13 of 17 Old 12-12-2008, 08:03 AM

Pearlescent: I was ruined by borrowing an F430 for the night and now I have to have a Ferrari!!!!!
post #14 of 17 Old 12-12-2008, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

I took a spin in a 348....End of story, I NEED one.
post #15 of 17 Old 12-12-2008, 10:13 AM

I saw a lot of newer ferrari's and they all sucked. Now if you can show me an old one, I'm game
post #16 of 17 Old 12-12-2008, 10:14 AM

What model Ferrari do you like Bas?

Chris

post #17 of 17 Old 12-12-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
What model Ferrari do you like Bas?
Old ones that have been restored to their original splendor by laburous work and blood, sweat and tears. Or old ones that have been kept in their original state because of excruciating maintenance. Basically anything from before oh I dunno... let's say 1975. That's a good and completely random demarcation line.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode