Facebook - Yes/No? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 11-28-2008, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Facebook - Yes/No?

Nearly every day it seems that I have to tell a member of staff at work to stop abusing our company computer usage policy because they are checking up with the gossip on Facebook or another social network. Then when I get home my wife will spend hours on it and even more hours telling me about the conversation she's had with someone I don't know, don't want to know and don't care about. I really can't see the point of it and why there is so much fuss about it. I can see even less point catching up with people I went to school with 25 years ago and never liked then, and couldn't wait to see the back of them, I can't imagine I would like them any more if I communicated with them now.
Am I just a miserable old b'stard?
But then again, who am I to complain about internet chat sites or forums I log on to FL 3 or 4 times a day to see what's going on
I tell my wife that FL is educational

Archie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-28-2008, 01:45 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
I tell my wife that FL is educational
And you are right !!!

I learned quite a bot (of gossip) through this site and that was highly instructional
post #3 of 22 Old 11-28-2008, 07:55 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
I do have both a Facebook and Myspace. I only like myspace because of the playlist I put on it, and I've had it for almost 3 years. Facebook, I am not a big fan of, but all the people from my college have it so it is the best form of contact. This site of course is all educational

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete

post #4 of 22 Old 11-29-2008, 03:40 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post
I do have both a Facebook and Myspace. I only like myspace because of the playlist I put on it, and I've had it for almost 3 years. Facebook, I am not a big fan of, but all the people from my college have it so it is the best form of contact. This site of course is all educational

Chris
x2 I agree with that. But facebook makes me angry, I cant figure out how to do half the stuff on there. Myspace is much easier!

But i definitely check my other car forums way more than I do myspace/facebook.
post #5 of 22 Old 11-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
I'm afraid I got caught up with the hole facebook thing about a year ago. Fortunately I got bored very quickly.

However saying that, I do use it as a photo storage place. All my photos are on their from the previous meets etc.
post #6 of 22 Old 11-30-2008, 02:52 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Face book is a place for a lot of wanna be posers and potential stalkers and if I had a daughter and found out she was on facebook I would loose it.

It sets up scenarios and suggestions for major mischief and trouble.

Don't get me wrong if you are a person of morals and can be diligent you can use it to your advantage but and this is a big BUT (he he big butt) I have seen too many people friends and associates get caught up in what it offers and that is a way to get into trouble especially if you are female.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #7 of 22 Old 11-30-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
Face book is a place for a lot of wanna be posers and potential stalkers and if I had a daughter and found out she was on facebook I would loose it.

It sets up scenarios and suggestions for major mischief and trouble.

Don't get me wrong if you are a person of morals and can be diligent you can use it to your advantage but and this is a big BUT (he he big butt) I have seen too many people friends and associates get caught up in what it offers and that is a way to get into trouble especially if you are female.
Hehe big butt....anyways. I have heard many bad stories about myspace and facebook that are most definitely true. That is why I only talk to people I know on it. I don't make friends with people on the internet (this place is different, I don't think anyone is trying to rape me.........dun dun dun.)

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
post #8 of 22 Old 11-30-2008, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post
Hehe big butt....anyways. I have heard many bad stories about myspace and facebook that are most definitely true. That is why I only talk to people I know on it. I don't make friends with people on the internet (this place is different, I don't think anyone is trying to rape me.........dun dun dun.)

Chris
Chris, watch out for Cap't Pete, he is really a 13 year old girl called Tifanny and stalks students. Back in his/her lair in the woods he/she has many trophies from his/her conquests. Back in Vietnam, soldiers used to slice off ears as trophies, but Pete/Tifanny removes scrotums (complete with their contents).

Archie
post #9 of 22 Old 11-30-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Chris, watch out for Cap't Pete, he is really a 13 year old girl called Tifanny and stalks students. Back in his/her lair in the woods he/she has many trophies from his/her conquests. Back in Vietnam, soldiers used to slice off ears as trophies, but Pete/Tifanny removes scrotums (complete with their contents).
I knew there was something fishy about Pete

Chris

post #10 of 22 Old 11-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:
Uh oh to late..

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #11 of 22 Old 12-05-2008, 03:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 271
I do have a Facebook account added recently. Not used it much though.
post #12 of 22 Old 12-05-2008, 06:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 465
People are afraid to use their real names on a car web forum.

They are afraid to post pictures of their cars where the license plates are visible.

Everyone is so concerned about privacy . . . .

And then they go and make Facebook and Myspace accounts?!?!?

What kind of logic is THAT?!?

If I wanted to reduce my presence and preserve some privacy online, facebook would be the LAST thing I would do!

Now . . . what about linkedin? (i.e. facebook for grownups and professionals.) What do you people do? Join it to be connected, or avoid it for privacy reasons?

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi
post #13 of 22 Old 12-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
I find linkedin to be very different - it is not a social, chatting thing. Since I am a mining engineer, my fellow university mates have flocked to all corners of the earth. I find linkedin a great way to keep in contact. Similarly with old colleagues, who now work in different countries or even 12 time zones away. And it is also possible to extend your professional network, although I do not use it for that.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #14 of 22 Old 12-05-2008, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony K View Post
People are afraid to use their real names on a car web forum.

They are afraid to post pictures of their cars where the license plates are visible.

Everyone is so concerned about privacy . . . .

And then they go and make Facebook and Myspace accounts?!?!?

What kind of logic is THAT?!?

If I wanted to reduce my presence and preserve some privacy online, facebook would be the LAST thing I would do!
Perfectly summed up Tony. I don't go on Facebook anyway, FLife is my way of communicating with the outside world

Archie
post #15 of 22 Old 12-05-2008, 11:05 AM

I put most of my information on here, because its on myspace and facebook anyways. It doesn't bother me, but then again I am only a student in college.

Chris

post #16 of 22 Old 12-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
I find linkedin to be very different - it is not a social, chatting thing. Since I am a mining engineer, my fellow university mates have flocked to all corners of the earth. I find linkedin a great way to keep in contact. Similarly with old colleagues, who now work in different countries or even 12 time zones away. And it is also possible to extend your professional network, although I do not use it for that.

Onno
Sure, linkedin is different in how it's used and who uses it, but you're still putting yourself all over the web. Anyone who wants to can still join linkedin, and find people on the internet -- arguably a lot more relevant information than from facebook or myspace. As a matter of fact, one doesn't even need to register to see your basic profile. So if privacy is a concern, I don't see how linkedin is better than any of the social gossip sites; If you're not concerned about your privacy, then all is fine.

I don't have an account with any of the above. I'm tempted to create a profile on linkedin because I see the benefits, but I have thus far kept my internet footprint to just things related to cars and rowing. Should I value my internet privacy, or be connected? Cant have cake and eat it, too . . .

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi
post #17 of 22 Old 12-06-2008, 11:13 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Quote:
the outside world
What is this unknown entity that you remark upon?
post #18 of 22 Old 01-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Well, I'm on Facebook now at the urging of a friend. I will admit that a lot of the things on there are stupid but it has put me back in touch with people I haven't seen in 20 years. People I went to high school with, people I went to college with, people I used to work with, etc. So it is good in that respect.

I've even been chatting with Chris on it.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #19 of 22 Old 01-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Have no knowledge and don't even know what the two are. Stupid me. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #20 of 22 Old 01-18-2009, 07:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 271
I do use on occasion, tried it because my sister-in-law used it and I got curious, but find it difficult to use and I am an IT professional (I am told). I guess like forums they can get addictive. Getting in touch with people you used to know can be dangerous I guess.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode