Best pilot ever - Ferrari Life
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 11-12-2008, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member
 
Pete04222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA & Singapore
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Best pilot ever

OK, a buddy had sent me this but I couldn't attach the *.wmv format. I found it on YouTube. This is some pretty impressive flying.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEP1mt_peM4

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Pete04222 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 11-12-2008, 07:45 AM
Elite Member
 
marlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Scotland - Land of the Ferrari enthusiast!!
Ferrari Life Posts: 956
Looks good but apparently its fake - shame.
marlin is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 11-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
The landing looks very edited and like a RC plane too, the pilots body isn't moving on landing.

Archie
archiegibbs is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 11-12-2008, 12:08 PM
 
Chrishawk4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
I don't know, it looks kinda real near the end.

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
Chrishawk4 is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 11-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Owner
 
Night Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Regina, Canada
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Not sure about that one something doesn't look right, look at the shadow underneath the plane on the ground it doesn't jive.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
Night Life is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 11-14-2008, 12:57 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Didn't anyone pay attention in physics? This is completely impossible. As soon as one wing decides to lead his own life, it's all over. The whole purpose of the plane is balance. Minus one wing, the thing becomes completely unstearable. The only thing that happens is that the remainging wing will continue to generate lift, will point straight up and that's it. NO WAY IN HELL that he'll be able to maneauver with it anymore like he does in the vid.

He lost his wing and then continued in a downward spiral to the LEFT. His right wing just sheared off and he's got no more right ailerons. He will NOT be able to spin to the left.

Plus... the picture quality during the "landing" is very very weird

Totally fake.
Basosz is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 11-14-2008, 03:42 PM
 
Chrishawk4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basosz View Post
Didn't anyone pay attention in physics? This is completely impossible. As soon as one wing decides to lead his own life, it's all over. The whole purpose of the plane is balance. Minus one wing, the thing becomes completely unstearable. The only thing that happens is that the remainging wing will continue to generate lift, will point straight up and that's it. NO WAY IN HELL that he'll be able to maneauver with it anymore like he does in the vid.

He lost his wing and then continued in a downward spiral to the LEFT. His right wing just sheared off and he's got no more right ailerons. He will NOT be able to spin to the left.

Plus... the picture quality during the "landing" is very very weird

Totally fake.
I slept a lot in high school Physics The landing does look very strange....

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
Chrishawk4 is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 11-14-2008, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member
 
Pete04222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA & Singapore
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Well I thought it was a great video but looking at it again it does look like an RC aircraft. As for it being impossible like basosz says, there is a true incident of an Israli pilot landing an F-15 safely after losing one wing. If you've got enough power, you don't need wings.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Pete04222 is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 11-15-2008, 10:47 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
The Israeli pilot got some lift from the body of his plane. The F-15 is an extraordinary aircraft that way. Also, jet fighters aren't the most lift generating planes as is. Anyone remember the F-104 Starfighter? The only reason that plane ever left the ground was a HUGE take-off speed. The prop thingy from Pete's video take of at almost walking speed. Very different aircraft. Very different aerodynamics. The two really should not be compared.
Basosz is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 11-16-2008, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member
 
Pete04222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA & Singapore
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Agreed. The F-15 is a remarkable aircraft and cannot be compared to anything else. It's like a missile with 2 seats.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Pete04222 is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 11-18-2008, 11:12 AM
 
stile - alpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Brazil
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
Agreed. The F-15 is a remarkable aircraft and cannot be compared to anything else. It's like a missile with 2 seats.
BTW, missiles also don't have wings, and that doesn't stop them from flying, does it? hehehe

Like you said, speed is everything. With enough speed, you can make a cow fly. That's what hurricanes do! hehehehe

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
stile - alpine is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 11-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by stile - alpine View Post
BTW, missiles also don't have wings, and that doesn't stop them from flying, does it? hehehe

Like you said, speed is everything. With enough speed, you can make a cow fly. That's what hurricanes do! hehehehe
You certainly can make anything fly with enough speed. Did you see Top Gear when they converted a 3 wheel Reliant Robin car into a Space shuttle by attaching 3 solid fuel rocket boosters to it, it reached a height of 3000 feet.

Archie
archiegibbs is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale