BMW info - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 10-03-2008, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
BMW info

Any Bimmer fan's here help me with some 328i info. The kids found a 1999 example (for them) that appears to be very clean for a good price. It has real high mileage (140k) and I need to know the achilles for that model. Any rust area's, design flaws, non standard wear points to be specifically aware of?

I have a call in to the shop thats been maintaining it. Service records are supposedly available. I'll be throwing it up on a rack and doing my own limited PPI to look for the basics such as Tires, Brakes, Engine, Tranny, Exhaust, Suspension, Electronics etc...

Thanks in advance
Lane

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post
Any Bimmer fan's here help me with some 328i info. The kids found a 1999 example (for them) that appears to be very clean for a good price. It has real high mileage (140k) and I need to know the achilles for that model. Any rust area's, design flaws, non standard wear points to be specifically aware of?

I have a call in to the shop thats been maintaining it. Service records are supposedly available. I'll be throwing it up on a rack and doing my own limited PPI to look for the basics such as Tires, Brakes, Engine, Tranny, Exhaust, Suspension, Electronics etc...

Thanks in advance
Lane
We do servicing on quite a few E46 models. The main problems tend to be with cooling/heating (Radiator expansion tanks/Rads/Thermostat/Waterpumps/Heater fan resistor/airlocks) the head gasket is fairly resilient but persistant overheating can take its toll. Engine Management (Crank sensors/Cam sensors/Airflow Meter/O2 sensors/Vacuum leaks) so run a diagnostic. Airbag sensors (usually seat occupancy sensor). Central locking actuators/door handle problems. Autobox failure on some gearbox types. Diff failure.

The other thing is regular servicing, obvious I know, but here a lot of people miss out the oil services and they can subsequently suffer from sludge build up which brings its own problems. Power steering issues - dirty fluid - steering becomes stiff. Pump problems on some models (which require modified pump).

No corrosion issues that I know of.

Generally they are a good (& popular) buy if they are sorted, although personally not a fan and would take the A4 instead .

HTH

Last edited by t1fosI; 10-04-2008 at 12:53 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-04-2008, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1fosI View Post
Generally they are a good (& popular) buy if they are sorted, although personally not a fan and would take the A4 instead .
I would choose an A4 also but this 328 has a highly motivated seller. The car has every option including Nav, leather, and Harmon Kardon. Its extremely clean and listed at $8K. I'm told they will accept $7K. I can't get near adecent A4 for less than $10.

Thanks for the Info. It will be put to good use.

Lane

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless

post #4 of 4 Old 10-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post
I can't get near adecent A4 for less than $10.

Thanks for the Info. It will be put to good use.

Lane

That is a cheap A4 . You are welcome

BTW If it has been well looked after than 140k is a walk in the park.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode