What car is this? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 09-23-2008, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
What car is this?

I was just curious as to what car this is, if you have any idea. Sorry for the quality of the pictures....I was attempting to shift.

Chris
Attached Images

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-24-2008, 12:15 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 332
It is a Volkswagen Karma.

Jonathan
post #3 of 17 Old 09-24-2008, 12:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
I believe it is a Karmann Ghia convertible 68 or 69 very sexy car it was ahead of it's time.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson

post #4 of 17 Old 09-24-2008, 01:23 AM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 956
The tail lights with integral revesing lights make it post 1970 and most obviously the "GHIA 72" plate confirm it as a 1972 VW Karmann Ghia convertible
post #5 of 17 Old 09-24-2008, 02:32 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin View Post
The tail lights with integral revesing lights make it post 1970 and most obviously the "GHIA 72" plate confirm it as a 1972 VW Karmann Ghia convertible
Truly the Sherlock Holmes of the automotive world. Excellent powers of deduction.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #6 of 17 Old 09-24-2008, 03:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 465
Chris,

Uma Thurman drives one in the later scenes of Kill Bill Vol. 2. She drives it to Mexico to find Bill, and drives it away at the end of the movie. Nice shot of a DeTomaso Mangusta (Bill's car) earlier in the film, too.

- Tony

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi
post #7 of 17 Old 09-24-2008, 06:08 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Definitely an air cooled rear engined VW, the grill/vents on the trunk lid gives that away. Nice looking car too

Archie
post #8 of 17 Old 09-24-2008, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Thank you guys. VW was my first guess but I was not sure what model.

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
post #9 of 17 Old 09-24-2008, 09:55 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Gorgeous car the Karmann Ghia. They are getting pretty rare as well though there are about 5 in my town which is a very high average. The one Chris photographed seems to be in quite good shape since they used to be very vulnerable to rust. Also the first time I've seen a convertible variant. The few I know about are all hardtops.

One thing that I hate: Those stupid huge american bumpers. My uncle had them on his Fiat 124 Spider and he replaced them with the very stylized and subtle european ones

Good catch though Chris
post #10 of 17 Old 09-24-2008, 11:07 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
back in the 60s and 70s VW produced the Karmann Guia here in Brazil, it is not sooo rare here (not a car you see every day, but once in a while), I think it looks pretty good, like most of the cars produced in the 60s, it has some charm and class

back in those days, it was very expensive and exotic here in Brazil, the kind of car that would make your neighbour drool all over your garage!

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #11 of 17 Old 09-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Same platform as the Porsche 914, air cooled boxer engine. A hoot to drive if you like absolute fear. Like the Mid engine weight distrubution not yet perfected. Front end washed out before rears and tended to snowplow in to corners. Tranny linkage sucked causing an unreal shift pattern that only an owner could drive.

Lanel

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #12 of 17 Old 09-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
You got overtaken by a Bug in a dinnerjacket!!

He must have been doing all of 40 MPH, going downhill and trumpeting like crazy!

Seriously the Karmann Ghia is a class act IMHO (the earlier models had nicer, smaller rear lights) - Robert Redford drives one in 'Sneakers'

post #13 of 17 Old 09-24-2008, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1fosI View Post
You got overtaken by a Bug in a dinnerjacket!!

He must have been doing all of 40 MPH, going downhill and trumpeting like crazy!

Seriously the Karmann Ghia is a class act IMHO (the earlier models had nicer, smaller rear lights) - Robert Redford drives one in 'Sneakers'

I'll be honest I had to slow down an obnoxious amount to take a picture....then finally I didn't want to be late for school so I shifted into second Just kidding 3rd

Chris

post #14 of 17 Old 09-24-2008, 03:25 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post
I'll be honest I had to slow down an obnoxious amount to take a picture....then finally I didn't want to be late for school so I shifted into second Just kidding 3rd

Chris

Oh yeah? OK, I believe you!

Here's one for the album -> 'Another 360 bites the dust!' - More crunch than a Krispy Kreme donut...

post #15 of 17 Old 09-25-2008, 05:09 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post
Same platform as the Porsche 914, air cooled boxer engine. A hoot to drive if you like absolute fear. Like the Mid engine weight distrubution not yet perfected. Front end washed out before rears and tended to snowplow in to corners. Tranny linkage sucked causing an unreal shift pattern that only an owner could drive.
Even if this is true (which it very well might be), it doesn't matter. It's the same with the Mercedes 300 SL Roadster with the Gullwing doors. It was a horrible car to drive, very unforgiving at high speeds and it had a tendency to catch fire because the exhaust ran through the sides which were covered in the famous red interior. The Clutch was litterally back-breaking it was so heavy. Also they were a pain in the ass to get into due to the high sides, which was because of the way the tubular chassis was set up. Not to mention the problems with the fuel pumps and the oil being diluted because the pump wouldn't shut off immediatly after turning off the ignition... I could go on

Even with all these flaws, they are (very rarely) sold for good numbers. $400.000 is not uncommon. I'd buy one if I could afford it !! It's one of the most beautifull cars ever conceived.

Same with the Karmann. It may have all these flaws but it's still a gorgeous car with historical pedigree and that's why I want one.

Classic cars rule !!!
post #16 of 17 Old 09-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
For clarity...I wasn't knocking it. My first sports car was a 914, 1.8L boxer. I loved it. I yanked the injection and put 44 IDA webbers on it with a Stainless ANSA exhaust. It was still to slow but, like I said, a hoot to drive (I liked fear as a lad). You could throw it around pretty easily. Just DO NOT dip into a corner to fast. If you did, turning the wheel was to no avail, sucker kept going straight till you hooked it up again. Todays tire technology could likely fix that, or at least vastly improve it. The 914 and Karmann would make excellant daily's in an environment where heat was not a necessity. Air cooled engines used a wrap around exhaust for a heater box with terrible circulation. Otherwise a very durable engineering plant and untra easy to work on. Engine and tranny could be removed from the car in <15 minutes.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #17 of 17 Old 09-29-2008, 02:45 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,045
I wouldn't mind having one of those to cruise around in.

Breck

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode