Corvette ZR1??? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 09-18-2008, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Corvette ZR1???

I was on my way home from school today and I saw a yellow Corvette driving in the other direction. I see yellow vettes all the time but this one was unique, it had a window on the hood, and bright blue brake calipers. It was a brand new '09 ZR1. It is the first I have seen in person. I have been looking on the internet and prices are between $150,000-$200,000 with the dealer mark up That is a lot for a Vette. 638 hp. Amazing car. What is your guys' take on this creation?
(for that much I would get a F355 spider or a 360 CS ....just saying)

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 09-18-2008, 11:32 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Sing along with me

Ooooooo a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette.

I do like the new vettes don't get me wrong but they keep trying to enter a unique market of the high priced exotics but they mass produce and they never were a true exotic from the get go unlike Aston Martin Lamborghini Ferrari just to name a few.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #3 of 33 Old 09-19-2008, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
Sing along with me

Ooooooo a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette.

I do like the new vettes don't get me wrong but they keep trying to enter a unique market of the high priced exotics but they mass produce and they never were a true exotic from the get go unlike Aston Martin Lamborghini Ferrari just to name a few.
OOOOO a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette...

The ZR1 isn't a heck of a lot better than the Z06, 130 more horses, .3 faster 0-60...thats a bit much for me price wise for what you get. Go buy a Z06 and slap turbos on it

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France

post #4 of 33 Old 09-20-2008, 02:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 89
Come on guys, give up the kudos for the classic American Sports Car. She is an Icon, and has quite a successful history. The stats and specs on this new rocket, shows how General Motors plans to keep the corvette fast and furious. I read somewhere that GM"s motto is to build the ultimate sportscar for people who aren't racecar drivers. This makes good sense to me. Over 600 hsp, that car will kick many Ferrari butts. An exotic, maybe not. She's still a beautiful American Sportscar, and I bet a blast to drive. Would l love to have those brakes. MIne are back to squeaking like crazy. I hate it. I just had them done not long ago, what's the deal? They sound dry, the pads just don't seam right. It really takes away some of my driving pleasure, and irritates the hell out of me. Sorry, I'll save that for another topic. One final note, do you see any similarities in the new California Ferrari, and that of the Corvette? I do. We shoudl put those two together and take a look at things.
Ciao,
Christiana

"LIFE IS SHORT, I'LL HAVE ANOTHER FERRARI SOME DAY!
post #5 of 33 Old 09-21-2008, 10:15 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 39
ZR1 Nurburgring Official 7:26.4 Record Corvette Run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6mEirkQN8o

Give it a few years and they will be as cheap as a regular Z06

Its still pretty impressive though for the Americans
post #6 of 33 Old 09-21-2008, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

I am going to see the ZR1 tomorrow night I shall take some pictures

Chris

post #7 of 33 Old 09-21-2008, 10:43 PM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 355F1FUN View Post
Come on guys, give up the kudos for the classic American Sports Car. She is an Icon, and has quite a successful history. The stats and specs on this new rocket, shows how General Motors plans to keep the corvette fast and furious. I read somewhere that GM"s motto is to build the ultimate sportscar for people who aren't racecar drivers. This makes good sense to me. Over 600 hsp, that car will kick many Ferrari butts. An exotic, maybe not. She's still a beautiful American Sportscar, and I bet a blast to drive. Would l love to have those brakes. MIne are back to squeaking like crazy. I hate it. I just had them done not long ago, what's the deal? They sound dry, the pads just don't seam right. It really takes away some of my driving pleasure, and irritates the hell out of me. Sorry, I'll save that for another topic. One final note, do you see any similarities in the new California Ferrari, and that of the Corvette? I do. We shoudl put those two together and take a look at things.
Ciao,
Christiana
Ah Christina you do make some excellent points and I think we all do agree that it is an American classic and I would love to drive one but not own one simply for what it is and always will be just an American classic.

The Corvette will never have the draw appeal or mystic of a true exotic.

I can pull up next to any new Vette ZR1 Z06 what ever and my Ferrari will draw the crowd 10 to 1 every time.

Oh sure it can blow my doors off but who cares so can a Superbird.

No Offence...

post #8 of 33 Old 09-22-2008, 09:07 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
The modern Vette definetly has a Cool-factor, but it can't beat the old Vette's like the 68 Stingray, or the car that Face of the A-Team owned.

Even then, then still loose to the Fiat 500

Last edited by Basosz; 09-22-2008 at 09:13 AM.
post #9 of 33 Old 09-22-2008, 10:02 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
The new ZR1 has an exhaust note to give an F430 a run for it's money... although with mark-ups it probably costs as much as one

15.5" Enzo brakes are mind blowing though!
post #10 of 33 Old 09-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
Sing along with me

Ooooooo a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette.Ooooooo a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette.Ooooooo a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette.Ooooooo a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette.Ooooooo a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette.Ooooooo a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette.Ooooooo a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette is a vette.

As much as I like the 'vette (and even moreso in Yellow) IMHO U$D150-200k is F-car money and really should be spent on that on which it was meant .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 355F1FUN View Post
MIne are back to squeaking like crazy. I hate it. I just had them done not long ago, what's the deal? They sound dry, the pads just don't seam right. It really takes away some of my driving pleasure, and irritates the hell out of me.
That would drive me nuts!

It maybe worth re-fitting them with some copper grease on the back & edges. This can sometimes help eliminate brake squeal. Incidentally some brake pad manufacturers warrant against brake pad squeal - you should check with your shop to see if this is the case, you may get a set of pads under warranty!

post #11 of 33 Old 09-22-2008, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Well I went to Buff Whelan Chevrolet where they had a ZR1....and my thoughts were...besides the 638 hp, gigantic breaks and rims....and the carbon fiber...the car wasn't so spectacular. The picture I took of the front for some reason isn't on my phone...so here are the not so impressive pictures of the car....Definitely not a Ferrari in looks.

Chris
Attached Images

post #12 of 33 Old 09-22-2008, 03:35 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
it's a nice car, but if I was going to buy a Corvette, I'd go for the Z06, I think

didn't like the bling-bling rims on the ZR1, and that hood showing the engine is kind of strange

oh well, it's better than my empty garage anyway

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #13 of 33 Old 09-22-2008, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

I have read everywhere that GM said the MSRP is what they wanted the ZR1 sold at. Some have been sold at $200,000. This ZR1 is for $150,000 and they turned someone down that wanted to pay $140,000 for it.....this car won't be there long I am sure. When I went there with my friend to look at it today, a guy was looking at it and the salesman had the man sit in it and get a feel for it. The guy said $117k sticker is way to much let alone $150k. He went out and looked at the more reasonably priced Z06s going for anywhere between $69,000 and $80,000.

Chris

post #14 of 33 Old 09-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 374
One of the key points of corvettes is high power for cheap money. Take that away and it loses.

... racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting... (Steve McQueen / Le Mans)
post #15 of 33 Old 09-22-2008, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

All in all it was definitely a neat car to see in person and be able to touch. I do however not understand the need for the price. The engine is a 6.2 L where as the Z06 is a 7.0 L. The supercharger is nice, but does that account for the price spike...I don't think so. The carbon fiber parts are definitely nice but again I don't think make that price. I wish the style of the car was changed a bit more...it looks to much like the Z06.

Chris

post #16 of 33 Old 09-24-2008, 06:22 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 39
It is definitely not worth the money! Like someone said above that is F-Car territory. For $200 grand i could put a nice chunk towards a F430 Scuderia, which btw I still cannot pronounce correctly

But take for example a friend of mine, he bought a used 2002 Z06 which had 405 hp. He spent a few bucks and got a chip, full exhaust, then a STS turbo kit. Well after that it was laying down 700hp he has a 700HP rocket for under 40 grand, cant go wrong there! But the only thing its good for is burnouts and doughnuts

Thats the only way i would buy a Corvette, is used. People have got to be insane to buy one of these cars now. Wait a few years and it will lose 2/3's its value and it will be affordable
post #17 of 33 Old 09-24-2008, 08:51 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
No matter what you do to a current Corvette, it is still not even close to a classic like the Stingray, or the Fiat 500.

But then as everyone here probably knows by now; I'm a classisist
post #18 of 33 Old 09-24-2008, 11:07 PM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG402 View Post
towards a F430 Scuderia, which btw I still cannot pronounce correctly

:

Hope this helps

SKOO-DEH-RRRIAH...

The three R means roll your tounge..

post #19 of 33 Old 09-25-2008, 01:28 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
hehehehehe it's so easy to say Scuderia, I bet you can't say my name, it's a lot harder for Americans: Guilherme everytime I go to the US I tell people to just call me William

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #20 of 33 Old 09-25-2008, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stile - alpine View Post
hehehehehe it's so easy to say Scuderia, I bet you can't say my name, it's a lot harder for Americans: Guilherme everytime I go to the US I tell people to just call me William
Guuiiherrmeee...hmmm....how ya doing William?

Chris

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode