Ferrari FXX street legal??? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 09-08-2008, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Ferrari FXX street legal???

I was browsing the Buying and Selling section at cars I can't afford I came accross an FXX...and it says possible transformationi to public roads. Everything that I have read says that the owner of the car isn't the persay 'owner' it is a test car from Ferrari. I was just curious if anyone on here knew if the FXX is a possible road legal car if they take the proper steps into making it road legal.

Here is the link,

http://www.ferrarilife.com/classified/view.php?id=595

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-08-2008, 03:21 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Chris, I've seen pictures of a coupple of FXXs with license plates, I've asked myself that same question over and over again and never found a good answer for it.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #3 of 18 Old 09-08-2008, 05:55 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 39
I don't see how it couldn't be made street legal, fairly easily. I know all you need here in Nebraska are headlights, taillights-with reverse lights, turn signals front and rear and plates front and rear. But life is simple around this part of the country We dont have any of the smog regulations like bigger cities do, so it makes it mighty easy for someone to bring in say a Nissan Skyline r33 and get it plated here.

Good luck trying to get that thing plated in say, California

post #4 of 18 Old 09-08-2008, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG402 View Post
I don't see how it couldn't be made street legal, fairly easily. I know all you need here in Nebraska are headlights, taillights-with reverse lights, turn signals front and rear and plates front and rear. But life is simple around this part of the country We dont have any of the smog regulations like bigger cities do, so it makes it mighty easy for someone to bring in say a Nissan Skyline r33 and get it plated here.

Good luck trying to get that thing plated in say, California
Yea, it is simple to get a car street legal here, same requirements: headlights, taillights-with reverse lights, turn signals on the front and rear, and only one plate on the back. Obviously there are several other things, but those are the main ones. There is no pollution testing or anything like that. I should buy the FXX then

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
post #5 of 18 Old 09-08-2008, 06:09 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post
I should buy the FXX then
Chris

Buy me one as well

My neighbor has a 8 sec 1/4 mile mustang he daily drives when the weather is nice. So if that is legal then the FXX shouldnt be a problem at all
post #6 of 18 Old 09-08-2008, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG402 View Post
Buy me one as well

My neighbor has a 8 sec 1/4 mile mustang he daily drives when the weather is nice. So if that is legal then the FXX shouldnt be a problem at all
Wow, that is insanely fast....

Chris

post #7 of 18 Old 09-09-2008, 03:09 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
there's no way the FXX would get approval to go on the dutch roads. It's probably too noisy, too polluting and then there's the matter of safety. For any type of car to be street legal in the netherlands it has to be inspected by a government agency similar to the DMV (called the RDW, Rijksdienst voor het Wegverkeer). And there's not a chance in hell that they will approve the FXX.
post #8 of 18 Old 09-09-2008, 03:15 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
The FXX is not road legal.
post #9 of 18 Old 09-09-2008, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
The FXX is not road legal.
Is that listing a fake? I know that straight stock the car is by no means road legal.

Chris

post #10 of 18 Old 09-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
The photos look genuine. It looks like there are a F40 and a silver 550 (?) in the background. If anyone has got a spare 1.8M euros to spend on a car I don't suppose they'll worry about whether we think it's road legal, and if it costs them 100K euro's to convert, it probably wouldn't bankrupt them.

Archie
post #11 of 18 Old 09-09-2008, 12:04 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Like Archie says... the photos look genuine but there are still no plates on it. I also wonder where one would put front plates on a FXX
post #12 of 18 Old 09-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
I've seen 3 Enzo's pull up at shows none of them had front plates, but they had obviously been driven to the show on the public highway.

Perhaps they hang the front plate from the rear view mirror like a giant fluffy dice

Archie
post #13 of 18 Old 09-09-2008, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
I've seen 3 Enzo's pull up at shows none of them had front plates, but they had obviously been driven to the show on the public highway.

Perhaps they hang the front plate from the rear view mirror like a giant fluffy dice
Well in my state, we don't use front lisence plates So I should just get out my piggy bank and buy that $1.8million euros...$2.5 million dollar FXX.....well here we go....8 quarters....2 dimes....4 nickels....and 10 pennies.....totalling $2.50.....oh....a bit short I see...

Chris

post #14 of 18 Old 09-09-2008, 02:03 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post

I've seen pictures of Enzos with a sticker as front license plate, they place it inside the air intake

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #15 of 18 Old 09-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
This thread is worthless, if you really have to ask if an FXX is road legal you don't belong here.
post #16 of 18 Old 09-09-2008, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
This thread is worthless, if you really have to ask if an FXX is road legal you don't belong here.
I am aware the car is not road legal, I was just wondering after reading on other forums and several articles about some of the owners trying to road legalize them. I was just trying to make sure that the one in the buying and selling section was not really capable of being road legalized. And the other thing I was confused on was if the FXX was owned by the customer or per say loaned by Ferrari just as a testing and development vehicle. I haven't found a definite answer to that one.

Chris

Last edited by Chrishawk4; 09-09-2008 at 02:31 PM.
post #17 of 18 Old 09-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post
I am aware the car is not road legal, I was just wondering after reading on other forums and several articles about some of the owners trying to road legalize them. I was just trying to make sure that the one in the buying and selling section was not really capable of being road legalized. And the other thing I was confused on was if the FXX was owned by the customer or per say loaned by Ferrari just as a testing and development vehicle. I haven't found a definite answer to that one.

Chris
Ferrari sold the FXX to the current owners. Ferrari does not have title to the cars and the owners can do as they like with them. The only catch is you need to remain in Ferraris good grace to be invited to the FXX events and have Ferrari service/upgrade the cars. Net net, while Ferrari does not own the FXXs, they have been able to maintain a large degree of control over how they are used.
post #18 of 18 Old 09-09-2008, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Ferrari sold the FXX to the current owners. Ferrari does not have title to the cars and the owners can do as they like with them. The only catch is you need to remain in Ferraris good grace to be invited to the FXX events and have Ferrari service/upgrade the cars. Net net, while Ferrari does not own the FXXs, they have been able to maintain a large degree of control over how they are used.
Thank you.

Chris

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode