Killing Threads??? - Page 3 - Ferrari Life
View Poll Results: Am I killings threads?
Yes you are killing posts, people dont want to talk to you! 3 9.68%
No, your not killing them, just seems that way! 28 90.32%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 583 Old 09-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post
I believe that we didn't get swallowed....although if everyone did get swallowed today we just might be in another universe

Anyways to answer your other question the LHC first of all is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator, is the latest addition to CERN's accelerator complex. It mainly consists of a 27 km ring of superconducting magnets with a number of accelerating structures to boost the energy of the particles along the way. Inside the accelerator, there are two beams of particles travel at close to the speed of light with very high energies befor colliding with one another. The beams will then travel in opposite directions in separate beam pipes (two tubes kept at ultrahigh vacuum. They are then guided around the accelerator ring by a strong magnetic field, achieved using superconducting electromagnets. The superconducting electromagnets are built from coils of special electric cable that operates in a superconducting state, efficiently conducting electricity without resistance or loss of energy.This requires chilling the magnets to about ‑271C a temperature colder than outer space! For this reason, much of the accelerator is connected to a distribution system of liquid helium, which cools the magnets, as well as to other supply services.

Thousands of magnets of different varieties and sizes are used to direct the beams around the accelerator. These include 1232 dipole magnets of 15 m length which are used to bend the beams, and 392 quadrupole magnets, each 57 m long, to focus the beams. Just prior to collision, another type of magnet is used to 'squeeze' the particles closer together to increase the chances of collisions. The particles are so tiny that the task of making them collide is akin to firing needles from two positions 10 km apart with such precision that they meet halfway!All the controls for the accelerator, its services and technical infrastructure are housed under one roof at the CERN Control Centre. From here, the beams inside the LHC will be made to collide at four locations around the accelerator ring, corresponding to the positions of the particle detectors.

Chris

P.S. I may have gotten a little help on this explanation.
Hey Chris, pretty impressed with your answer. Are you proud of yourself?

Have you noticed that all of the posts addressed to you in this thread are questions?

Archie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 583 Old 09-10-2008, 11:22 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
Thanks Chris, but can you explain that in English
I wish I could...

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #43 of 583 Old 09-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Owner

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7604293.stm

Chris, just found this on the BBC. Very informative if you are interested in the LHC. What are your views?

Archie

post #44 of 583 Old 09-10-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Hey Chris, pretty impressed with your answer. Are you proud of yourself?

Have you noticed that all of the posts addressed to you in this thread are questions?
If I didn't look it up on the internet I would've been more proud

Really Didn't notice

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
post #45 of 583 Old 09-10-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7604293.stm

Chris, just found this on the BBC. Very informative if you are interested in the LHC. What are your views?
It is quite interesting. I'm glad the world didn't get swallowed up though. It will be interesting to find out the results.....hmm....is this another one of those questions to drag Chris back in to answer???.....

Chris

post #46 of 583 Old 09-10-2008, 12:42 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Well my take on astro physics Archie is that it is the branch of astronomy that deals with the physicds of the universe, including the physical properties of celestial objects such as stars, galaxies, and the interstellar medium, as well as their interactions. The study of cosmology is theoretical astrophysics at scales much larger than the size of particular gravitationally-bound objects in the universe.
Chris, your answer, while intelligent, is actually quite narrow. The people at CERN and the shiny new Large Hadron Collider (I'm so happy with that thing, I could actually wet myself by thinking about it) are also looking at the astro physics of our (and other) universe(s). You see, when scientists try to calculate and mathmatize their way back to the moment right after the big bang, they find that the math and regular laws of physics just don't work anymore. This is math that they also used for calculating astronomy related things like the orbit of planets around stars. Also they are looking for the God-particle or Higgs-particle. This is related to gravity and mass of objects and therefore very important to astro physicists in terms of orbits, black holes and dark matter. I don't pretend to know even 1% of what they do there at CERN, but I do know that astro physics and "micro physics" like they do at CERN are very closely related.

Also... all things are gravitationally bound. Have you heard that our galaxy and some other (I believe it's M33) are actually heading for a collision? That's gravity at work man !!! Though cosmology may be the study of extremely large scale objects, they are definetly gravity bound, and there is a big ass overlap between cosmology, astro physics and let's say "regular" nuclear physics.

Quote:
If I didn't look it up on the internet I would've been more proud
I actually know that stuff about the LHC. I'm a total geek about it too. Right now I'm downloading some BBC program about "The Big Bang Machine". Can't wait to see it

What you said about the machine being supercooled at temperatures below the temp of the universe is true and it completely astounded me... did you know that the universe is actually about 4 degrees (Celsius) above the absolute zero (also known as zero kelvin)? Which is totally cool because that means that the "vacuum" of space contains energy.

I recommend that you download the torrents from the following links

http://www.mininova.org/tor/842661
http://www.mininova.org/tor/847109
http://www.mininova.org/tor/847113

I thoroughly enjoyed this extraordinary BBC program.

I might have gone a bit overboard here

"I am who I am. I cannot be more or less like myself"
"Do what you can't let go. Let go what you can't do"
"I am the sum of the experiences of others but only because *I* want to"
post #47 of 583 Old 09-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basosz View Post
I actually know that stuff about the LHC. I'm a total geek about it too. Right now I'm downloading some BBC program about "The Big Bang Machine". Can't wait to see it
I'm downloading that too on the BBC i-player. I don't have a great deal of knowledge on the subject but am interested to find out more

Archie
post #48 of 583 Old 09-10-2008, 01:28 PM

I will definitely check that out Basosz. This has had my ears perked up for a while so I should check it out more in depth after I'm done with my studying for Chemistry.

Chris

post #49 of 583 Old 09-10-2008, 03:01 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Dudes, you are SUCH spammers!

Anyway, I liked the explanation about the end of the universe

Hope to find you in another dimension after this all happens!

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #50 of 583 Old 09-10-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stile - alpine View Post
Dudes, you are SUCH spammers!

Who are you calling a spammer???

Chris

post #51 of 583 Old 09-10-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:

Not gonna happen. The Big Bang Machine will NOT make black holes !!!!! Black holes form when the electrons around a nucleus get stripped and the nucleii of the different atoms get bunched together without there being the electric field normally created by the shell(s) of electron(s). Since the diameter of the electron shells is about 100.000 times the diameter of a nucleus, you might imagine that a collapse like that has some spectacular consequenses like say the total condensing of all the mass of the object in a very tight spot. In other words: An object gets 100.000 times smaller. If this were to happen to the earth, you would be able to fit the total mass of the earth in something the size of a tennis ball.

What the LHC does is shoot protons at each other. Even if two protons were by some freak accident gonna stick together, they would form just two protons. No biggie. They have no mass (and thus gravity) significant enough to attract other particles. You have to keep in mind that only stars many times bigger (or more specifically: heavier) than our sun are heavy enough to become neutron stars and eventually black holes. But the protons wouldn't even be able to stick together because they are travelling at nearly the speed of sound through the LHC in opposite directions. The SNF isn't nearly powerfull enough to overcome that amount of energy of the speed to bind the protons together. Then there's the thing to consider that when the protons do collide, and they are indeed made up of other particles like quarks and other such things, they would disintegrate and then the whole thing would just be moot.

To summarize: Even if they overcome huge forces to bind together, they are just two protons being happy, no big deal, or they fall apart into seperate component parts.

However you splice it, NO BLACK HOLE !!!!

Really guys... it's not that hard...

post #52 of 583 Old 09-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
I was just sleeping....crap!!!!
Chris
Chris, you know that you'll never be able to boost your post count if you spend all your time laying around in bed.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #53 of 583 Old 09-11-2008, 02:37 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Yeah Chris, you are really wasting your time sleeping every night, meanwhile many people are passing you in the post count!

And Basosz, I can't be bothered to read your nerd answer about the black holes hehehehehe sorry about that!

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #54 of 583 Old 09-11-2008, 05:36 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
And Basosz, I can't be bothered to read your nerd answer about the black holes hehehehehe sorry about that!
Let me correct you Stile because I know English isn't your first language. Basosz is not a nerd, he is a geek. There is huge difference.

Meanwhile, it looks like Chris is still sleeping.

Capt. Pete
post #55 of 583 Old 09-11-2008, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
Let me correct you Stile because I know English isn't your first language. Basosz is not a nerd, he is a geek. There is huge difference.

Meanwhile, it looks like Chris is still sleeping.
Gosh darn it! I was sleeping! Now I have to go to class as my post count will stay idle until this afternoon!

Chris

post #56 of 583 Old 09-11-2008, 06:55 AM
Owner

Quote:
Gosh darn it! I was sleeping! Now I have to go to class as my post count will stay idle until this afternoon!

Chris
Can't you get a BlackBerry or i-phone and post when you are in classes?

Archie
post #57 of 583 Old 09-11-2008, 07:04 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
LOL!! Good one Archie!! How about also an F-Life alarm clock that goes off whenever there is a new response in a thread you have posted in?

Capt. Pete
post #58 of 583 Old 09-11-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Well I'm in religion 100...yes I said religion 100. It is a required class and I brought my laptop. hahahahaha

Chris

post #59 of 583 Old 09-11-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
LOL!! Good one Archie!! How about also an F-Life alarm clock that goes off whenever there is a new response in a thread you have posted in?
You mean you don't have one of those???

Chris

post #60 of 583 Old 09-11-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Thank you !! You remembered

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode