Best of times or the worst of times for car enthusiasts? - Ferrari Life
View Poll Results: The best of times or the worst of times for a car enthusiasts?
Best of times 6 75.00%
Worst of times 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 09-05-2008, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Best of times or the worst of times for car enthusiasts?

I was watching a youtube show called Garage 419, and they proposed a question, that I thought would be interesting to hear your answers about. Is it the best of times or the worst of times for car enthusiasts?

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-05-2008, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

I personally believe that it is the best of times for car enthusiasts. Even though computers are starting to really make cars what they are, I believe that cars are getting better and better for the driver. There are many high performance cars still that you can get in traditional stick shift, and you are also able to turn off all the assists so you can have a drivers car rather than a rolling computer. Also, you can always buy an older model car if you so choose

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
post #3 of 12 Old 09-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Sorry for being negative Chris, but I voted for worst. That is largely due to the current gloom in the British economy and a change in my own personal fortunes. Over the last 15 years or so I have enjoyed good rewards from my industry and have been fortunate enough to be able to buy a lot of brand new German executive sports convertibles and coupes as my daily drivers, and of course the old F-car. Currently my daily driver is an 11 year old Anglo-German 2 seater roadster (yes the Alfa has gone, I didn't like it, I've replaced it with a MG from the days when BMW owned them, I really like it, its a great little car for city driving and country lanes, although not so good on the motorway).
Modern cars may be fantastic and fully computerised, but as I can't afford one it is the worst time for me.

The modern driver aids are great on daily drivers when you just want to drive from A - B in safety, comfort and without any fuss, but they don't really inspire me to want to drive a car. Give me a brand new German Autobahn cruiser for my daily driver and a 20 yr old F-Car for the weekend and I'll be happy again, and maybe then I'll vote positively

Archie

post #4 of 12 Old 09-05-2008, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
Sorry for being negative Chris, but I voted for worst. That is largely due to the current gloom in the British economy and a change in my own personal fortunes. Over the last 15 years or so I have enjoyed good rewards from my industry and have been fortunate enough to be able to buy a lot of brand new German executive sports convertibles and coupes as my daily drivers, and of course the old F-car. Currently my daily driver is an 11 year old Anglo-German 2 seater roadster (yes the Alfa has gone, I didn't like it, I've replaced it with a MG from the days when BMW owned them, I really like it, its a great little car for city driving and country lanes, although not so good on the motorway).
Modern cars may be fantastic and fully computerised, but as I can't afford one it is the worst time for me.

The modern driver aids are great on daily drivers when you just want to drive from A - B in safety, comfort and without any fuss, but they don't really inspire me to want to drive a car. Give me a brand new German Autobahn cruiser for my daily driver and a 20 yr old F-Car for the weekend and I'll be happy again, and maybe then I'll vote positively
In a way I do agree with your statement. Right now economically it is the worst time for car enthusiasts in the US. I personally like the newer models...except when it comes to the F cars....my favorite being a F355, and loving the timeless look of the 308, 328, F40, and Testarossa. In another way it is better for car enthusiasts because certain cars have bottomed out price wise. (looking at it positively ) I mean I can't even afford to buy a used car, I must lease a new one So in a way I guess I am more in the middle of the road on this one...

Chris

post #5 of 12 Old 09-06-2008, 01:46 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
It is the best of times for me because old cars are only now old cars. 50 years ago they were all new and therefore boring. But the cars of yesteryear are classics now and I love classics so it's good times for me.

Did that make sense ? To me it did

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that it depends what side you're on. Doesn't take a genius to figure out where I stand

Last edited by Basosz; 09-06-2008 at 02:23 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-06-2008, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basosz View Post
It is the best of times for me because old cars are only now old cars. 50 years ago they were all new and therefore boring. But the cars of yesteryear are classics now and I love classics so it's good times for me.

Did that make sense ? To me it did

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that it depends what side you're on. Doesn't take a genius to figure out where I stand
That definitely makes sense Basosz.

Chris

post #7 of 12 Old 09-07-2008, 04:14 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,045
I agree with Basosz, the older cars are becoming classics and are getting rarer and rarer. Also, the variety and cars and collectibles is increasing with time and models.

Breck
post #8 of 12 Old 10-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 55
half and half

half good... the wide array of dazzling new cars, relatively reasonable pricing on pre-owned gems and forums like these to learn and fraternize.

half bad... the technologies that take the driver input out of the experience,the 50km over the limit here in Canada car seizure law and what I believe to be the dilution of the ferrari brand, ie. (as in my humble opinion) the quest for economic needs as opposed to the pure art of the Ferrari.

I am not a snob, but I really love the brand for many of the things it represents/represented since it began. As I read more about the brand I see the changes. Maybe they should be embraced?

Only my opinion, so please don't take offence.

f-man
post #9 of 12 Old 10-04-2008, 06:40 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
f-man, you said it better than I could

I agree with everything you said

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #10 of 12 Old 10-04-2008, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

I would also have to agree with you f-man.

Chris

post #11 of 12 Old 10-05-2008, 03:59 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
These things go in cycles. Really not much different.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-05-2008, 04:32 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Depends on where you make your money. For me, in the gold mining industry, these are, ahem, golden days. The fact that prices for Ferraris are driven down, and will be even further, is good news for me as I am in a buying rather than selling cycle.

But if, like Archie, you're affected by the financial crunch your perspective will be 180 degree opposite to mine.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode