F430 vs Vantage - bought the Ferrari - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-17-2008, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 9
F430 vs Vantage - bought the Ferrari

My friendly dealer recently called to tell me of two Aston's coming in. Both 6-spd coupes. Beautiful cars, but I'd never driven one. So, down I went to test drive #1. (2006) Wonderful outside and the interior was OK, but the ride quality - absolute trash! I could not believe the harsh and jumpy ride quality. The quickness was also lacking, still using the 380hp older V8.
I then tried another Aston a few days later; a 2007 6spd coupe. Again, beautiful outside, better interior, but the ride - still terrible! Seems, after more research, that they are known for this poor ride quality.

Ahhh, but then also in the showroom, a beautiful, '06 F430 F1 spyder. Need I say more about no comparison between the two cars? Thus, today the F430 resides in my garage and the Aston remains a different dream. Maybe when the new '09's come out I'll see if they ride and perform better than the older models. For now, the Ferrari is the car to beat!
Happy motoring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-17-2008, 06:58 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
StuM, great choice, congratulations!

And welcome to the forum =) happy motoring

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #3 of 15 Old 08-17-2008, 08:22 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Welcome to the forum StuM. Congratulations on the purchase. Do you have some pictures of this beautiful beast that you would be willing to post?

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete

post #4 of 15 Old 08-18-2008, 03:39 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Congratulations and great choice.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-18-2008, 04:12 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Again we loose someone to the sticky fingers of ferrari. Only when you're completely brainwashed will you pick a new ferrari over the Aston Martin. The AM is indescribably more beautifull than any ferrari.

But hey... whatever floats your boat... Aston Martin still wins
post #6 of 15 Old 08-18-2008, 12:33 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basosz View Post
Again we loose someone to the sticky fingers of ferrari. Only when you're completely brainwashed will you pick a new ferrari over the Aston Martin. The AM is indescribably more beautifull than any ferrari.

But hey... whatever floats your boat... Aston Martin still wins
Haha, what's gotten into you?

Breck
post #7 of 15 Old 08-19-2008, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Winner, Still F430

I tried so very hard to love the Aston, but the beauty is only skin deep. Too nasty a ride, even for a Sunday afternoon!
Attached Images

post #8 of 15 Old 08-19-2008, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Other current and past family members

The F430 joins a long list of family members, among many...
Attached Images

post #9 of 15 Old 08-19-2008, 08:29 PM

Beautiful F430 and great color. Haven't seen many of those. I also love the illustrious collection you have. My favorite of the bunch besides the F430 would be the Viper. I am going to take an off the wall guess and say a '95?

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
post #10 of 15 Old 08-20-2008, 02:56 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
How does the 430 handling compare to the GT40 ?
post #11 of 15 Old 08-20-2008, 11:19 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Stu,

I like the variety. I recently drove a Viper for a weekend and was surprised. First impression wasn't awesome but over time the car grew on me a bit.

On the Z8, I don't believe I've ever met anyone with this car. How does it drive?
post #12 of 15 Old 08-20-2008, 12:20 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,045
I love the garage, those cars look great.

Breck
post #13 of 15 Old 08-20-2008, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Owner

The fleet

Thanks folks. Re the cars, they are, in many ways, all the same - only different. You know what I mean.
- The Viper was an '02. While fun at first, it is truly a BEAST. Hard to handle, very hot and noisy, lost of creaks, and the exhaust tone is poor, from the uneven firing V-10.
- The Z8 is an '02 also. Probably one of the best all around sport-touring cars I've owned. Maybe a bit underpowered these days, at about 396, but a very well balanced and comfortable car.
- The "Cobra" is a Superformance, out of S. Africa. It had a Roush 302 V8, with about 510hp. Very loud, but not as brash as you might expect. Again, a bit of a handful if you let if get away from you. It could bite in an instant if not managed well. Front end heavy! Also hot, for my Texas, USA climate.
- The GT is an 06 Ford GT. 550hp. A more basic, somewhat confined US approach to sport cars. I eventually found it less entertaining to drive. The clamshell type doors are also a pain to utilize in tight spaces. The F430 is much more of a well rounded approach. I owned the Ford GT at the same time as a new 06 Z06 Corvette. (505hp-6spd) The GT actually behaved better than the Vette, especially on wet pavement. Even after a half dozen Corvettes from the 60's to current, I found the new Vette lacking. The interior is poor plastic; showing why the price is so low compared to other supercars.
- The other stable mate at the moment is an 07 Porsche 997 C4S cabriolet. The wife claims that one. It is also a very nice overall package and one of the best all-around cars I've owned.
My insurance guy just laughs when I call him. I think we're on car #60, from over the many years I've used them! Many high performance and never wracked one up yet! Drive Safely!
post #14 of 15 Old 08-20-2008, 07:50 PM

Wow, I was way off. The picture was to small to differentiate the body style. I didn't realize it was an '02

Chris

post #15 of 15 Old 08-21-2008, 03:48 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
I absolutely LOVE the Cobra !!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode