My day gone bad - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 08-10-2008, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
My day gone bad

Went out this morning to meet up with a 355 buddy and a new guy in the "hood" with a Noble. Climbed out of bed and found it raining. Second guessed myself and decided not to go. Called the buddies to cancel, they said the sky was cloudless and a perfect day was emerging. Checked the weather radar and found that a quick shower had passed through my area only. Changed my mind (my car needs a wash anyway) and called the Noble guy. He didn't want to take his car out in the wet so he decided to ride with me to see Jays 355.

Picked him up drove for 20 minutes at 65 - 70 mph up a local highway (good to excelant asphalt) and heard a noise...louder...louder braked to pull over and felt a wiggle in the steering, mirror was filled with white smoke....Ohhh crap...this can't be good.

Got safely to the shoulder and hopped out to investigate. Driver side rear tire flat. I figure it blows my plans for the day but could much worse. I pop the bonnet to get my "fix a flat". I'm reading the directions and preparing to use this stuff. It says try to find and remove the cause of the flat. I reach under the fender and start feeling my way around. Hmmm...something doesn't feel right....what's missing...The inside tire wall is kaput.

I call the wife and have her load up my stock wheels with (thankfully) the Pirellis on them. She brings them to me along with the appropriate lug bolts, tools, and a floor jack. I mount them up and drive home.

After my heart rate returns to normal I take a closer look at the problem. It seems I picked up a piece of a steel band strap causing the tire to go flat. My relatively slow and comfortable cruise on a smooth road with these extremely low profile tires prevented me from noticing the flat. Some miles later it was all over but the invoice.

I'm prayng the wheel is not damaged. The Tire is no longer in production in that style requiring me to replace all 4. I hate the Pirelli's. I've heard good things about the Michelin Pilot Sport. You guys have any other recommended sneakers?

Lane
Attached Images

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 374
Sorry to hear this, glad it didn't happen at high speed. I tend to use Michelins on most of my cars. They're properly priced and great rubber. Recommended

... racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting... (Steve McQueen / Le Mans)
post #3 of 12 Old 08-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Glad to here that there was no serious damage and that you are OK, it could have been much worse.

Archie

post #4 of 12 Old 08-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
That is a bummer. First glance it doesn't look like the wheel is damaged. I've got Firestone on my car, I've been happy with them. I mean, Ferrari uses Bridgestone on the F1 car so the Firestone should be good also.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #5 of 12 Old 08-10-2008, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I've been comparing the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position, The Goodyear Eagle F1's, and The Michelin Pilot Sports at Tirerack.com All have similar survey results but differant exposure statistics. The Michelins are dramatically more expensive (at that outlet) but rate the highest. The Eagle rate the lowest of the 3 but are also the least expensive. The Bridgestone's are only slightly more expensive than the Eagles but are much closer to the Michelins in results. They may end up being the best value of the 3. I'm waiting for somebody to chime in regarding the Vredestein Sessanta's and some of the more generic market favorites like the Yokohama's, Sumitomo's, Hankook's, and the like. I've got time. I'm gonna use the OEM wheels with the Pirelli's to finish out the season.

Lane

post #6 of 12 Old 08-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Saint that is almost exactly what happened to me when I was in Calgary

Same thing I heard a noise develop then I saw white smoke from my raer right and then realized my tire had gone flat due to a piece of steel wire, I tried using the wheel repair spray but to no avail and ended up with a tow.

Only difference my tire was repairable.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #7 of 12 Old 08-11-2008, 12:34 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
My choice for you would be Michelin. Jimmy
post #8 of 12 Old 08-11-2008, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Jimmy

No more posting for you. Your count is perfect.

Lane

post #9 of 12 Old 08-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post
Jimmy

No more posting for you. Your count is perfect.
To Late..

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #10 of 12 Old 08-14-2008, 12:47 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,045
Sorry to hear about your experience. I would definitely go with the Michelins. I have heard many stories about how great the pilots are.

Breck
post #11 of 12 Old 08-19-2008, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Owner

With this difficulty I have decided to install an Orange Electronics TPMS. I just paid for it and should receive it in a few days. It looks completely awesome and I hope it works just as well. I'll keep you guys posted. It should be a great addition to any car spinning extreme profile or run flat tires. For $170 it seems a no brainer.

I have selected the replacement sneakers for my baby. She will be sporting Bridgestone Potenza RE050 Pole Positions. They seem to rate about even with the Goodyear eagles and Michelin Pilot sports but are substantially cheaper when purchased directly from a Bridgestone outlet. I've also heard some concerns about road noise and groove grab on the Michelins. I'll keep you posted on those also.

Saint

Lane

post #12 of 12 Old 08-20-2008, 12:21 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,045
Hm, a TPMS, sounds good.

Breck

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode