What computer do you use? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 06-22-2008, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
What computer do you use?

I was just curious as to what type and model computer you use on a daily basis.

I use a Gateway tablet PC laptop.

Chris

“ To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.”-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 06-22-2008, 04:03 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Dell 8200 doorstop in a dock...uhh...I mean laptop in a dock. Win XP cuz I'm not ready to replace ALL MY SOFTWARE. F*** Vista. It took YEARS to collect all these pirate titles

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #3 of 28 Old 06-22-2008, 08:24 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 112
For work I use a DELL Latitude D630 with dock station and Win XP professional.
Private I built a PC with a ASUS M2N-DH motherboard, AMD 64 Athlon X2-5000 CPU, 4Gb RAM, 1, 320Gb HDD and 1, 200Gb HDD for the system and Soundblaster bla bla bla.
Private I use Vista Home Premium 64bit, it’s no problem if you know where to get the drivers.

SAAB 9-5 2.0T BSR1, Volvo 855 GLE
Suzuki Marauder VZ800, Honda 480R
Honda NS 125 R2, Suzuki RM 80
Pocketbike, And some other toys.

post #4 of 28 Old 06-22-2008, 09:53 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Acer TravelMate 240 Laptop when I'm not at home. At home I have some big tower I put together from various parts
post #5 of 28 Old 06-22-2008, 12:04 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,045
I use a computer I built myself. It runs Windows XP, has an intel processor and Radeon 9600 Pro video card with a gig of RAM. What cost me 2k 6 years ago I could probably built a replica for less than 500 dolalrs nowadays. But it does everything I need it for.

Breck
post #6 of 28 Old 06-23-2008, 10:53 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 56
I use an Apple Macintosh G4 PowerMac. I have always had Macs and for the last year I have had my own Mac consultancy business.

"If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs..." (Kipling)
post #7 of 28 Old 06-24-2008, 02:45 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Dell - various Desk/Laptops (inc 8200 like SB! with WUXGA TFT + Apple flat keyboard). Latest addition is a Vostro (500GB/2GB + HP NVidia Quadro FX 370(512MB) video card & Dell 2208WFP digital monitor. All running XP Pro.

Apple - iMac 20' (Intel Core Duo 250GB/2GB + 256MB Video Ram) with OSX Leopard. This machine is fantastic! OSX is great.

post #8 of 28 Old 06-24-2008, 03:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Commodore 64 & Sinclair ZX-81 (about to upgrade to the Spectrum)

Seriously, I use a Toshiba 17 inch widescreen laptop most of the time, I haven't got a clue what spec it is, but it was very expensive for a laptop when I got it a couple of months ago. It runs on Vista which I really hate

I have several other tower PC's and 3 old Tosh laptops around the house. I keep meaning to sort one of these out for my son.

My favorite PC is my 8 year old Gateway which runs on Win 98 and 2 X 21 inch TFT monitors I only use this for my music, I've ripped out most of it's insides and up spec'd it for making music, the sound card is a M-Audio Delta series with 8 1/4 inch jack ins and 8 outs, I use this for plugging my various synthesizers and mixers straight into the PC. I mainly use Steinberg, Roland and Propellerheads software for my music (all licenced too, not cracked Russian copies). Sadly, this PC is very rarely used as children demand my attention now and I don't get much chance to indulge in my hobby of making music.

Archie
post #9 of 28 Old 06-24-2008, 05:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 167
My portable is a Sony Vaio SZ series with the carbon casing

The office HP-D220 Network Workstation 4GB of ram so it doesnt get sluggish running my processing and Adobe programs

Home Velocity Systems Custom build from a few years back The big gun overclocked Hyperthread P4 chip 8 GB RAM plus another Gig on the Vid Card dual 21 widescreen Moniters....this is used for my design projects and also as my home music server It has the full macromedia suite and I have Adobe CS3 coming soon too.
post #10 of 28 Old 06-24-2008, 11:27 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 56
[QUOTE=t1fosI;71863]Dell - various Desk/Laptops (inc 8200 like SB! with WUXGA TFT + Apple flat keyboard). Latest addition is a Vostro (500GB/2GB + HP NVidia Quadro FX 370(512MB) video card & Dell 2208WFP digital monitor. All running XP Pro.

Apple - iMac 20' (Intel Core Duo 250GB/2GB + 256MB Video Ram) with OSX Leopard. This machine is fantastic! OSX is great.

Hey t1fosI
I see I'm not the only Apple Mac user here then. They really are fantastic machines even the old ones. Leopard is by far the best operating system in the computing world.

"If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs..." (Kipling)
post #11 of 28 Old 06-24-2008, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=cavalino68;71894]
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1fosI View Post
Dell - various Desk/Laptops (inc 8200 like SB! with WUXGA TFT + Apple flat keyboard). Latest addition is a Vostro (500GB/2GB + HP NVidia Quadro FX 370(512MB) video card & Dell 2208WFP digital monitor. All running XP Pro.

Hey t1fosI
I see I'm not the only Apple Mac user here then. They really are fantastic machines even the old ones. Leopard is by far the best operating system in the computing world.
I had full intentions on purchasing a macbook pro for college, unfortunately I needed to get a tablet PC Oh man the problems I have had with it.

Chris

“ To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.”-Anatole France
post #12 of 28 Old 06-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 271
At work a HP desktop with electric things inside.
At home an Acer Aspire 7250 laptop with electric and chips inside.
Also use a Fujitsu Siemens laptop with other electric stuff inside.

The best OS in the world is of course Solaris from Sun Microsystems. I no longer have that on a desktop because there is no space at work on my desk.
post #13 of 28 Old 06-25-2008, 02:06 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
HP 17" laptop, model number is 9700 (or something like that). Runs Windows Vista which is a pain.
post #14 of 28 Old 06-25-2008, 03:22 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 20
17" Macbook Pro with VMWare Fusion running XP. Having been a Windows guy most of my tech life, I can honestly say that I'm happier without Windows in my life. I rarely run it on my Macbook, but it's nice to have in the event some strange website doesn't like FF/Safari/MacOS.

Going to put a Mac Mini in my office.
post #15 of 28 Old 06-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post

I had full intentions on purchasing a macbook pro for college, unfortunately I needed to get a tablet PC Oh man the problems I have had with it.

Chris

If it was not for the dedicated PC software that we need to use at work than I would have all Macs (when I couldn't afford software I stuck with PC's ). You get pretty much all that you need with OSX/iLife and none of the added crap, the only extra thing I have bought is MS Office. Plus the iMac networks absolutely fine with the PC's (both wired & wireless).

I am not sure about the Macbook Pro as they get really hot on the wrist (or the ones I have used have) actually I prefer a desktop, but I think an iBook and an iMac are a good combo.

post #16 of 28 Old 06-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
Commodore 64 & Sinclair ZX-81 (about to upgrade to the Spectrum)
Before you upgrade, check out the BBC 'B'! Also I hear that Amstrad are bringing out a new machine with a 'BUILT IN' Tape Deck!! It might be worth waiting!!

syntax error
syntax error
syntax error
syntax error
syntax error
syntax error
syntax error
syntax error
syntax error
syntax error
syntax error
syntax error
syntax error
What game would you like to play Professor Falken?

post #17 of 28 Old 06-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1fosI View Post
Before you upgrade, check out the BBC 'B'! Also I hear that Amstrad are bringing out a new machine with a 'BUILT IN' Tape Deck!! It might be worth waiting!!

syntax error
syntax error
syntax error
syntax error
syntax error
syntax error
syntax error
syntax error
syntax error
syntax error
syntax error
syntax error
syntax error
What game would you like to play Professor Falken?

A BBC Micro, that was posh. We had just taken delivery of one at my school just before I left in 1984. 1 computer in the maths department for 1000 kids to drool over. My brother built a speccy or ZX82 (can't remember which).
The first PC I got was a Toshiba laptop in 1994, 4Mb RAM (later upgraded to 8 Mb) and a 250 Mb HDD, running Win 3.1, that was state of the art, it cost £2K then. I was given it along with my first mobile phone by my new employer when I changed jobs. I really thought I was special until I realised I didn't know how to use the PC, and didn't even know how to turn it on and off.
Oh how the world has changed in just a few years, I'd be completely stuffed without my PC's, phones and BlackBerry now.

Archie
post #18 of 28 Old 06-25-2008, 01:10 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
I once built a Z80... but you can hardly call that a computer. I can however address my old Pentium 1 in the same language as the Z80. The whole basic code is still there and it's very cool. Very funny to see the difference in the Z80 going through the code, and the Pentium 1 going through it in roughly 1/100.000th the time the Z80 takes
post #19 of 28 Old 06-25-2008, 01:54 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Toshiba Satellite P205-S6347

runs Windows Vista, which sucks, so I'm in a painful process trying to make it work with XP

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #20 of 28 Old 06-25-2008, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

I have yet to hear a positive thing about Vista.

Chris

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode