Questions for Thomas Carey - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 06-02-2008, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,045
Questions for Thomas Carey

Seeing as you are the resident watch expert, I have a few questions to shoot at you.

I've always been a fan of the automatic self winding watches, especially watching their hand movements, but they don't always keep the time as well as digital or electronic watches. What are your views on them?

The other thing I wanted to know was about straps. I have only leather and metal straps, but how are nylon and rubber viewed in the timepiece world? Maybe someday I'll just save up and go for the alligator strap, haha.

Thanks

Breck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-04-2008, 07:49 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri View Post
Seeing as you are the resident watch expert, I have a few questions to shoot at you.

I've always been a fan of the automatic self winding watches, especially watching their hand movements, but they don't always keep the time as well as digital or electronic watches. What are your views on them?

The other thing I wanted to know was about straps. I have only leather and metal straps, but how are nylon and rubber viewed in the timepiece world? Maybe someday I'll just save up and go for the alligator strap, haha.

Thanks
Dear Dmitri,

I wear mostly auto's myself with an occasional wind up type thrown in. I do have one quartz watch that I use as a beater watch. Personally I view a watch as more than just a means of telling time. Women have their purses, dresses, and shoes. I have my watch. It's the same idea really. It's not only jewelry it's a way of expressing yourself. I also am drawn to the mechanical movements as I enjoy seeing them work via the exhibition case backs that most of my watches have. I like the idea of never having to worry about a battery needing to be replaced. I also like the idea that a quality timepiece can last more than a life time. As such it can be passed down as a family heirloom. Just the idea that so many tiny moving parts are able to serve a practical purpose intrigues me as well. As far accuracy goes this can vary greatly. If you get one that is COSC certified it should be +/- 2 to 3 seconds a day. You can find this sort of accuracy in watches that are not COSC as well. Though this is pretty much a luck of the draw type thing. An interesting thing I want to point out is not all Quartz or digital watches are as accurate as one might expect. The most accurate of course will be those that are adjusted automatically via a radio signal from one of the atomic clocks.

As far as rubber straps are concerned. Traditionally these would only be found on dive watches or low cost watches. However at this very time there are companies using rubber straps on very expensive watches due to the great contrast they can provide with other materials. Which can give you a very pleasing overall package. As far as Nylon goes I view this as something one would find on a watch used in a military type application. Some folks do elect to add a NATO style nylon strap to their watch. I believe that one was used on an Omega in a vintage James Bond movie. Personally I don't care for those.

Also I would like to point out that In North America bracelets on watches are very popular. In Europe leather straps are far more popular. Generally I prefer a Stainless Steel bracelet. But some watches look their best with Leather straps.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey
post #3 of 15 Old 06-04-2008, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for your insight.

Breck

post #4 of 15 Old 06-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Here are a few of mine for you, apologies for the quality of photo's, my camera isn't great and the light of the flash reflected on the sapphire glass . I agree with most of what Thomas says, interesting what he says about Europeans prefering leather or croc straps, as 3 out of 4 of my Swiss watches are leather/croc skin. My favorite watches that I own are my black Carrera Chrono with black leather strap and white/silver Breitling Chronomat Evolution with brown croc strap.

The Chopard Mille Miglia chrono with the dunlop rubber tyre tread strap will be my next watch purchase.
Attached Images

Archie
post #5 of 15 Old 06-05-2008, 03:41 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 33
Nice!!

The best all-around watch I've ever had is my TAG chrono,SS, blk face, its got the old style bracelet that looks like abs, I've beat on it since 99 and it still looks new ,you almost can't hurt that sapphire face, Otter

P.S. check this out, www.flaexina.com

Things are bound to change!
post #6 of 15 Old 06-05-2008, 04:01 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
P.S. check this out, www.flaexina.com
Not a big fan of replicas, they cheapen the image of the real thing. Same with Ferrari's, those MR2 clones of 355/360's suck.

Archie
post #7 of 15 Old 06-05-2008, 04:10 AM

I agree!!

I totally agree Arch, the watch talk reminded me of this E-mail I had gotten last week with these replicas so I shared, just because its interesting!! Otter

Archie, ever heard of a village called Warmington( between Peterbough and Oundle) I was Father Christmas there for 86 and 87,LOL

Last edited by Otter; 06-05-2008 at 04:16 AM. Reason: add
post #8 of 15 Old 06-05-2008, 04:58 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Best watch I ever had was a Star Trek 30 year anniversary watch that I bought at this merchandise shop in the netherlands.... kept time like it was nobody's business. After a year and a half it had only deviated by about a second. Thing works like it is on warp drive or something.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-05-2008, 05:52 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
I totally agree Arch, the watch talk reminded me of this E-mail I had gotten last week with these replicas so I shared, just because its interesting!! Otter

Archie, ever heard of a village called Warmington( between Peterbough and Oundle) I was Father Christmas there for 86 and 87,LOL
I know that part of the world very well, I spent the first 25 yrs of my life on the Cambs/Lincs/Northants border. The paternal side of my family have been there for at least 500 yrs, records only go back that far.

I used to have a G/F who came from Oundle, and drank in the Ship, it used to be a great pub, but I haven't been back there for 15 yrs.

Are you from that part of the world yourself.

If you are still doing your father Christmas bit this year, I would like my 328 GTS back please

Archie
post #10 of 15 Old 06-06-2008, 03:28 AM

Wishes granted!!

Archie, I would like nothing better than to get your GTS back, and it sounds like a plan is in the works, I lived in Warmington because I was stationed at Alconbury as a crew chief on U-2 (woops ,sorry Queen) should I say TR-1 aircraft and loved living off base and feeling a part of a community, The village people were so fantastic and took my family in as there own, my youngest daughter had duel citizenship as she was born in Huntington, very fond memories of that area and being the token American, back to the grotto, Otter

post #11 of 15 Old 06-06-2008, 03:41 AM
Owner

Ah yes, USAF bases, we had many of those in East Anglia. I hope that most English people welcomed your presence. I know there were a few loony lefty lesbian feminist save the whale ban the bomb CND we dont need men militants camped out at bases which had nuclear missiles, but I don't think they represented the views of the majority of English people.
I used to love going to the Mildenhall airshow and watch your hardware in action, the noise was awesome, even louder than an F-car with a sports exhaust

Was the U-2 the really big aircraft with 3 engines on each side? I'm not very good at identifying planes, apart from the Blackbird and F-15

Archie
post #12 of 15 Old 06-07-2008, 03:24 AM

No the U-2/TR-1 is a large black almost glider like aircraft with a single center engine and a wingspan over 100 ft, on the wings are huge electronic pods that can be mistaken for engines, for weight reasons it has a single center landing gear and its very hard to land, so each time an attempt is made another pilot in a high-performance 5.0 mustang car chases it down the runway and continually informs him of his position via radio, then we chase the whole mess with a high-performance chev el camino, so we can quickly install wheeled devices under the wings so it can taxi in off the runway, Otter

post #13 of 15 Old 06-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Owner

Thanks for clearing that up Otter. I like watching aircraft displays and respect the skill and bravery of the guys who fly them, but cars are my first love. I don't know much about aircraft names, manufacturers and power.

Archie
post #14 of 15 Old 06-07-2008, 03:07 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
The U-2 almost cost Gary Powers his life back in the sixties. First by almost exploding around him from being hit by a russian missile, second when the russians (or Sovjets as they were called back then) tried him for espionage. Eventually he was swapped with a russian spy the americans had.

Real spy stuff. It hardly doesn't get any better than this.
post #15 of 15 Old 06-08-2008, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

I love how we get off topic...and this is one interesting conversation...watches, planes, and cars...ahh...the tastes of FerrariLife.

Breck

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode