The wait's over - Archie's new Italian daily driver - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 05-28-2008, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
The wait's over - Archie's new Italian daily driver

The regulars will know that I have been looking for a daily driver, roadster for the summer. I've tried out most affordable roadsters in the last few weeks, TT's, Z3, Z4, MX5, S2000, MG's, but none of them had that special feeling that I was looking for, and had been missing since I sold my Ferrari.

TBH, nothing can replace that feeling, but I was less than impressed by what the Germans and Japanese could offer. However, I can't afford to get back into the seat of a Ferrari until next year, so I will have to settle for something else. I have beeing umming and aahing about Alfa Spiders for years, and have heard it said many times that every true Italian car fan should own an Alfa at sometime in their life.

I had considered buying one of the new Alfa's (mainly for the 3 year warranty), but I have been hit very hard by depreciation on my inability to keep brand new cars for more than 6 months before I get bored with them. Therefore, a new Alfa is a very foolish financial move, especially when I am saving up for another Ferrari.

In the end, I knew that the only car that would do as my summer driver would be an Alfa Spider. I've been searching the used car sites for the last couple of weeks and finally decided on a Nov 2001 registered 2.0 TS in Alfa red with dark grey leather, it's done 37000 miles, had 2 owners, a full service history, including all belts changed 18 months ago, a new clutch 6 months ago, new front brake pads and discs, new window motors, and it was only half of the budget I had available. The paintwork isn't perfect, there is a small scratch on the passenger side and a couple of dings on either side drivers doors where other inconsiderate drivers have opened their doors in car parks, but other than that the paintwork is perfect, and I can get the scratch and dings fixed for 200/300.

Yes, this car has had lots of work done and should be a warning to steer clear and buy a German car, but the TT's and Z's just don't do it for me. If I'd bought an Alfa that hadn't had any work done, it would probably need all of the above in the next 6 months anyway.

If I keep this car for a year, it falls apart and I have to sell it for scrap, I will lose no more in a year than I have lost every year in the last 10 years buying brand new German cars. My biggest loss was 12K in 10 months on a 3.0 V6 Audi cabriolet in 2005. The quickest loss was 5K in 4 weeks on a Mazda MX5 in 2005.

I'm picking it up on Friday or Saturday, and will no doubt keep a log on here of all the things that go wrong with it. I guess I need to join the AA or an alternative recovery service.

Foolish or a wise move? Only time will tell.

Archie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 05-28-2008, 12:02 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,045
Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! Now!

Breck
post #3 of 37 Old 05-28-2008, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Owner

This is one from the website advert. I'll take some better photo's over the weekend when I've got the car and cleaned it up.
Attached Images

Archie

post #4 of 37 Old 05-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Congrats Arch! It looks awesome!! A great, well-researched purchase!

Anybody want to take bets on how long it takes for him to get bored with it?

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #5 of 37 Old 05-28-2008, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Owner

What are the odds for it breaking before I get bored with it

Archie
post #6 of 37 Old 05-28-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
What are the odds for it breaking before I get bored with it
With your recent history? I'd venture to say you'll be bored first.

"It's not like my old Audi."

Breck
post #7 of 37 Old 05-28-2008, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I can live with being bored with it, I would prefer it not to break....but I won't count my chickens yet, afterall it is an Alfa.

Archie
post #8 of 37 Old 05-28-2008, 12:55 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Archie, you are brave!

The car looks very good, congratulations! I'm looking forward to hear from your ownership experience

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #9 of 37 Old 05-28-2008, 01:18 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Great buy !! Congratulations on owning a car that is at least in the Fiat family. That pleases me greatly. You are on your way to owning a new Fiat 500

Seriously though, it's a fabulous looking car. And it's italian so you won't be affected by the look-at-me-I'm-driving-a-german-car-so-now-I-can-behave-like-an-idiot virus
post #10 of 37 Old 05-28-2008, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basosz View Post
Great buy !! Congratulations on owning a car that is at least in the Fiat family. That pleases me greatly. You are on your way to owning a new Fiat 500

Seriously though, it's a fabulous looking car. And it's italian so you won't be affected by the look-at-me-I'm-driving-a-german-car-so-now-I-can-behave-like-an-idiot virus
LOL - especially the last part as I have been driving Audis, BMW and Mercs for the last 10 years, now I have escaped.

You know what, I drive past a Fiat dealer every day and keep looking at the new 500, they are gorgeous. Perfect car for town driving and great gas consumption, I might surprise you one day and buy one.

Archie
post #11 of 37 Old 05-28-2008, 06:55 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Congratulations! The car looks great! Can't wait to see more pictures!

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #12 of 37 Old 05-29-2008, 12:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 275
Looking beautifull! It handles great as well, there's little to none understeer which makes cornering really fun..

Enjoy and wish you great weather!
post #13 of 37 Old 05-29-2008, 03:51 AM

Quote:
You know what, I drive past a Fiat dealer every day and keep looking at the new 500, they are gorgeous. Perfect car for town driving and great gas consumption, I might surprise you one day and buy one.
It really is a beautifull car. And the economy is awesome. Fiat has tried to make it Euro 5 compatible, even though the standards and rules for Euro 5 aren't even laid down yet, so it's a very clean fuel burning machine. It's also very safe by the way with 5 EuroNCAP stars. The waiting list however is a mile long. They projected to build 80.000 a year for the whole of europe but within a few months they've already sold over 80.000 in Italy alone. So I believe they've stepped up production quite a bit because they also have to deliver in the rest of europe If you do buy one, can I take it for a spin please?
post #14 of 37 Old 05-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Looking good Archie!!

post #15 of 37 Old 05-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
I guess I need to join the AA
Alchoholics Anonymous?

Capt. Pete
post #16 of 37 Old 05-29-2008, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
Alchoholics Anonymous?
Are you a member too . Pete, when you admit you are an alcoholic you are halfway to being cured, so come on, get it off your chest, share your problems with us, we are your friends and want to help you

It's the Automobile Association, or the 4th emergency service as they like to claim. They drive around in bright yellow trucks fixing peoples cars when they break down.

Archie
post #17 of 37 Old 05-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Yeah Arch, we have that over here also, except we call it the American Automobile Association, AAA or "triple A" for short. So as not to be confused with AA.

Capt. Pete
post #18 of 37 Old 05-29-2008, 02:49 PM

Triple A... very bad when you're an airplane
post #19 of 37 Old 05-31-2008, 03:58 AM

What about the 4A? American Association of Agricultural Aficionados?

Breck
post #20 of 37 Old 05-31-2008, 04:31 AM

FAA: Ferrari Afficionados Anonymous

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode