Gas Prices Up - Driving Down - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 05-26-2008, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Gas Prices Up - Driving Down

Gas prices are now really starting to effect consumer behavior. This is good for as consumption goes down, so will prices.

From CNN

As gas goes up, driving goes down
  • <LI class=cnnhiliteheader>Story Highlights
  • March figures show steepest decline in driving since 1942
  • Compared with last year, drivers have logged 11 billion fewer miles, the DOT says
  • Americans planned to drive less over Memorial Day weekend, AAA reports
  • Public transportation ridership on rise, in part because of gas prices, group says
(CNN) -- At a time when gas prices are at an all-time high, Americans have curtailed their driving at a historic rate.
The Department of Transportation said figures from March show the steepest decrease in driving ever recorded.
Compared with March a year earlier, Americans drove an estimated 4.3 percent less -- that's 11 billion fewer miles, the DOT's Federal Highway Administration said Monday, calling it "the sharpest yearly drop for any month in FHWA history." Records have been kept since 1942.
According to AAA, for the first time since 2002, Americans said they were planning to drive less over the Memorial Day weekend than they did the year before.
Tracy and Adam Crews posted on iReport that their annual Memorial Day weekend has traditionally involved camping and fishing.
"Well, due to the continual rise in gas, we felt our only recourse was to nix the idea this year and stay home" in Jacksonville, Florida, they wrote.
Instead, the couple said they "decided to camp out in the backyard. We set the tent up, just finished installing our above ground pool, and cleaned up the grill. ... We have ourselves a campsite! It's been a blast!"
Nakeisha Easterwood of Smyrna, Georgia, said with gas prices on the rise, she sometimes catches rides with friends, and doesn't drive into town more than once a day. "It's crazy," she said.
According to AAA, the national average price for a gallon of regular gas rose to a record $3.936. That compares with an average price per gallon of $3.23 last Memorial Day.
"With it being near $4 a gallon, you definitely have to drive slower and pick and choose when you're going to do it," said Steve Kahn of Roswell, Georgia, at a Memorial Day festival in Atlanta.
Some Americans have turned to public transportation. Ridership increased by 2.1 percent in 2007, in part because of rising gas prices, according to the American Public Transportation Association.
Americans took 10.3 billion trips on public transportation in 2007, the highest level in 50 years, the group said.
The Energy Information Administration says gas consumption for the first three months of 2008 is estimated to be down about 0.6 percent from the same time period in 2007.
For the summer season, gas consumption is expected to be down 0.4 percent from last year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-26-2008, 10:31 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
I can't see prices going down in the Uk. If consumption goes down, the Gov't and retailers will just increase their margins and taxation.

Archie
post #3 of 15 Old 05-27-2008, 04:09 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
It's good for me and Stile, there will be no decrease in oil exploration.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."

post #4 of 15 Old 05-27-2008, 07:00 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
It's good for me and Stile, there will be no decrease in oil exploration.
Well stop exploring and start finding, I could use to have some cheaper prices around here

Breck
post #5 of 15 Old 05-27-2008, 08:56 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri View Post
Well stop exploring and start finding, I could use to have some cheaper prices around here
we just found 3 immense oil fields (is field correct here?) here in Brazil, with light oil (that's the good one), what are you complaining about!? hehehehe

since I don't have a car in the moment, the best thing for me is to watch petrol prices rising, it really makes my day!

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #6 of 15 Old 05-27-2008, 10:39 AM

Haha, just keep looking down at us.

Breck
post #7 of 15 Old 05-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
I can't see prices going down in the Uk. If consumption goes down, the Gov't and retailers will just increase their margins and taxation.
+1.

or as Gordon would say

+1,000,000,000,000 (GBP)

Ker-ching!!! Dar-ling!!

post #8 of 15 Old 05-27-2008, 03:41 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
If prices won't go down there will be mass riots everywhere. Food price is almost directly coupled to the oil price (what else are those tractors gonna run on?), production is gonna go down, transportation is gonna be a nightmare.

Fishermen and truckdrivers are striking in France, and even though they would strike at just about any reason, they think they have a good point this time. Same in the UK. As a desperate measure, truckdrivers blocked a motorway today. They think that they are gonna loose a lot of business. But it's very simple, because the price of oil is gonna be calculated into the price of foodstuffs and everything else that the truckers transport. Prices WILL go up. If the truckers are gonna loose their business that way... well... they would have lost their job anyway because of the high cost of fuel.

I still maintain that the world population should decrease by at least 75%. Less people use less fuel, which will create less CO2, with the added bonus that the fewer people will also exhale fewer CO2, less strain on the environment, foodstuffs will be aplenty again, drinkable water will be available to more people, the need for wars will practically vanish, which will reduce the use of feul by the military and overall the standard of living will go up and the world will be a better place. If I could rule that world, big bonus. I promise a ferrari to every member of the forum Please crash it.

Somehow along the way of our evolution we've gotten the idea that every human life is sacred. Well that's just horse menure. A very poor person in Myanmar (Birma) or africa will never develop himself to be the next Einstein so why not get rid of those persons? (I mean this a bit less brute, but that takes too much space) Development like that will only work in a developed environment with a library and research material and teachers and people to bounce ideas off and a school and laboratory at hand. You get the idea. There are a few exceptions but the key word there is few. I may be displaying a very very VERY unpopular view here, and I realise that it is about as far from humane as is possible, and it may be a bit unpolished, but I truely think that in the long term this is the only way to go. Less people means more quality of life.

Sorry for the rant
post #9 of 15 Old 05-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 465
Somewhere in our evolution -- quite recently -- someone coined the phrase "quality of life", and people began using it as an excuse to devalue human life and kill the weak, poor, etc.

The funny thing is, though, that if you ask people whose quality of life many such people judge as 'not worth living', they will say they want to live. Go figure.

Wealth and "quality of life" have nothing to do with happiness and enjoyment of life. The poorest people are often the happiest. Love is what makes a life "worth living", and one not need be a high intellectual, wealthy, educated, or at the leading edge of society to love and be loved, and to live and enjoy life to the fullest.

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi
post #10 of 15 Old 05-27-2008, 09:46 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony K View Post
Somewhere in our evolution -- quite recently -- someone coined the phrase "quality of life", and people began using it as an excuse to devalue human life and kill the weak, poor, etc.

The funny thing is, though, that if you ask people whose quality of life many such people judge as 'not worth living', they will say they want to live. Go figure.

Wealth and "quality of life" have nothing to do with happiness and enjoyment of life. The poorest people are often the happiest. Love is what makes a life "worth living", and one not need be a high intellectual, wealthy, educated, or at the leading edge of society to love and be loved, and to live and enjoy life to the fullest.
+1, True true!

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #11 of 15 Old 05-28-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying that we should kill them (or maybe I did, but then I meant it differently. More nuanced). I'm saying that they should never have existed. I'm saying that there should be fewer people on this earth. I'm saying that a family with 8 children in a part of the world where there is only a desert (parts of Africa, asia) is completely senseless. There is no food. It's as simple as that. I'm not saying that I know the answer to getting less people in the world. If I were saying that I know... I would probably be locked up for entertaining the thought of utter genocide. I'm just saying that 7 billion is way too much.

Quote:
Love is what makes a life "worth living", and one not need be a high intellectual, wealthy, educated, or at the leading edge of society to love and be loved, and to live and enjoy life to the fullest.
I assume by love you mean the love between people. Family, friends, the one you share your life with? Because I very much disagree. Life is not about love. Life is about nothing. It's senseless and useless. However... if one were to indeed qualify love as the main thing for life to be about, we don't need 7 billion people to share it with. We've totally utterly monumentally screwed up the balance of life. We have no natural enemies left, and if we do find one that can regulate the number of people (historically that's war, famine and diseases like the plague etcetera) then we find a way around it. There are too many people on this world. It's as simple as that.

I also have to say something about people that want to have children because it's "the natural thing to do"... It's not natural to have more than 2. At least it's not when there are no natural enemies. The crabs on Christmas Island release about a hundred thousand eggs in the sea when they want to spawn. That's because only about two survive on average. Perpetuation of the species is about pairs. And the women that can't have babies go to an IVF clinic or something. How natural is that? It's hypocritical.

If one were to think that I am quite mad at the world, one would be quite incorrect. I am mad at the human race for being such a complete and utter failure. I very much hope we are doomed and I wish the cockroaches more luck.

I've gone off the deep end here and am not making much sense I'm afraid...
post #12 of 15 Old 05-28-2008, 09:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 465
I didn't mean you when I said "people . . ." in my previous post.

But anyway,

If life is senseless and useless, and about nothing,

Then why should you care about "quality of life"?

Why should you care about the "balance of life"? (if such thing even exists in the grand scheme of things; seems a narrowly defined idea to suit our preferences and interests during our tiny period of existence)

Why should you care what happens at all on this earth?

Why should you care what our species does, or about what happens to any other species, if all is meaningless?

Don't say that you don't care -- the fact that you wrote an well-crafted post and stated you are mad at the human race shows that you do. Funny that you find life and love "nothing" but are mad at the dominant species.

Earth and life existed for hundreds of thousands of years before, and will exist for hundreds and thousands of years after homo sapiens. Life is constantly evolving and often mutating. We, all of human history, and anything we could possibly do to the earth during the lifespan of our species is just a flash in the pan of geologic time.

So, why care about some things and not others, and how do you pick and choose?

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi
post #13 of 15 Old 05-28-2008, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basosz View Post
I'm not saying that we should kill them (or maybe I did, but then I meant it differently. More nuanced).

I am mad at the human race for being such a complete and utter failure. I very much hope we are doomed and I wish the cockroaches more luck.

I've gone off the deep end here and am not making much sense I'm afraid...
I am afraid in this case it is a long swim back just to reach the "deep end"
post #14 of 15 Old 05-28-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Haha, well put.

Breck
post #15 of 15 Old 05-28-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
That may very well be true. It's a confusing subject even to me. I feel quite conflicted about it

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode