Just sold my Jeep Commando - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 05-21-2008, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Just sold my Jeep Commando

Some of you who have been on here awhile probably remember me talking about my '69 Jeepster Commando. I've had the thing for about 10 years and it was my little yard tractor. I always had hopes to one day rebuild it but never found the time. About 2 years ago it was to the point where it needed a lot of work to be upgraded to "junk" status. But I still hung onto it. We moved to the new house and I drug that thing along with us and it has been sitting in the woods for a year untouched.

Well today some guy stopped by and asked me if I wanted to sell it. I said I hadn't really thought about it and he said he'd give me $150 for it. Well of course it was worth way more than that in my mind so we went over and looked at it and I said, "Can't you do a little better?" and he said, "$200 right now, cash money." Well I thought about it for a minute and pictured a 2 year project with expenses probably approaching $8,000 so I said yes. I figure he's a Jeep nut and now the thing is his project instead of mine. He leaves and I figure it is going to be at least a week before I hear from him again. Well what do you know, he shows up an hour later with a wrecker and hands me the money and loads the thing up. I'm starting to tell him about the work it will need to become operational and he stops me and says, "Dude, we're not restoring it, we're crushing it."

So all the rest of the Commandos in existance just became more valuable today. There is one less of them in the world. Evidently this one was worth more for it's metal than as a vehicle.

Enclosed are a couple of pictures of fond memories.
Attached Images

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 05-21-2008, 09:14 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,045
Sorry to here you had to get rid of one of your "babies" Pete. Will you be getting another yard tractor, or even big play-toy?
post #3 of 31 Old 05-21-2008, 11:44 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
I am sorry to hear about the loss Pete....tis a true shame that it had to be put to death

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete

post #4 of 31 Old 05-21-2008, 12:41 PM

Whoops, I just connected 2 and 2 and realized that this wasn't your '82 you were selling, it was the other Jeep. Hmm...Maybe you don't need a replacement then?
post #5 of 31 Old 05-21-2008, 12:51 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Still... it's bad to loose a loved one like that to the Crusher. Looked like a fun car to restore. Even if it's expensive and way too time consuming.

I'm redoubling my efforts to stay single so I have time for projects like this.
post #6 of 31 Old 05-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Who's your mechanic doing the filter change? Is he a RAPE employee? Whats his hourly rate? If he'd trim his nails a bit I'd love to have him do mine. The filter in Wifeys Yukon is a pain. A little guy like that to get into the tight spaces might be just the ticket. Come to think of it...he might be able to do a 348 Major with the engine in. Think of the possibilities.....

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #7 of 31 Old 05-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 402
Priceless pic with the groundhog in the engine compartment

Chicago_Pete
hey slow driver
post #8 of 31 Old 05-21-2008, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Yeah, Archie and I hired that little guy a while back. He works for peanuts and lives under the garage. Trouble is if you open the hood and he sees his shadow the car won't be ready for another 6 weeks.

Thanks for the wishes guys, I really hated to see the thing go. I bought it in 1997 for $1,800 to use as a snowplow and yard vehicle. I put about another $500 into it over the years and it served me well. It just got to the point where it needed a complete body off restoration. I know Basosz likes the classic vehicles as do I but this one just was too far gone. Since I now have my '06 Chevy with a snow plow I don't need to replace the Commando. I still have my '82 Jeep CJ7. After the garage is done I'll look for a project car. No idea what it will be yet.

Capt. Pete
post #9 of 31 Old 05-22-2008, 02:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
HAHAHA...Pete has to wear scivies now. (no more commando) HAHAHA did you choose boxers or griefs.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #10 of 31 Old 05-22-2008, 10:03 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
crap, Pete, I'm really sad to know that

don't know why, but I bond with old, big, unloved cars very easily

my father has an old GM truck that he wanted to sell about 10 years ago, when I thought that I'd never see it again I got so sad that he didn't sell it

great thing, in a few minutes I'll use that same truck to pick my brother up at the airport

anyway, very sad to know that you let the Commando go, I liked it even without knowing it in the metal

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #11 of 31 Old 05-22-2008, 10:44 AM

How about a 250 GTE?

Seriously though, a mid 80s Camaro would be a great project for you :-p
post #12 of 31 Old 05-22-2008, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri View Post
Seriously though, a mid 80s Camaro would be a great project for you :-p
I wouldn't mind an '80's Camaro although I think I would prefer a '70's Firebird.

Capt. Pete
post #13 of 31 Old 05-22-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
I wouldn't mind an '80's Camaro although I think I would prefer a '70's Firebird.
Smokey and the Bandit I love that one Well....Trans Am...

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
post #14 of 31 Old 05-22-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Either/Or. I'll still support you whole heartedly.
post #15 of 31 Old 05-22-2008, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post
Smokey and the Bandit I love that one Well....Trans Am...

Chris
That would be the one. I've got the Magnum P.I. car so what would compliment it better than the Bandit's Trans Am?

Capt. Pete
post #16 of 31 Old 05-22-2008, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stile - alpine View Post
crap, Pete, I'm really sad to know that

don't know why, but I bond with old, big, unloved cars very easily

my father has an old GM truck that he wanted to sell about 10 years ago, when I thought that I'd never see it again I got so sad that he didn't sell it

great thing, in a few minutes I'll use that same truck to pick my brother up at the airport

anyway, very sad to know that you let the Commando go, I liked it even without knowing it in the metal
I know what you mean. If I had known it was going to the crusher I probably wouldn't have sold it. Having said that it probably would have just sat in the woods for another 2 years. I did not need it and it probably wouldn't have been worth my time and effort to restore it but I agree with you, we still love it. Sure the fancy sportscars are nice, but an old truck is like the family dog. Always there, always ready to go where ever you want to go and do anything you want to do. It will happily sit out in the field while you are working the land, you eat a sandwich in the cab for lunch, you throw your muddy boots in the back and drive back to the house. Anything you want, the dependable old truck is always there. A sportscar is a passion, an old truck is a companion.

Capt. Pete
post #17 of 31 Old 05-22-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
That would be the one. I've got the Magnum P.I. car so what would compliment it better than the Bandit's Trans Am?
It would be the perfect compliment to the Magnum P.I. car...and they are a bunch cheaper

Chris

post #18 of 31 Old 05-23-2008, 07:30 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Quote:
an old truck is like the family dog
great way to express it, that's exactly what I think

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #19 of 31 Old 05-23-2008, 12:53 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Pete, if you fancy a project, we should go into the limo hire business. I reckon we could buy cars that are ready for the crusher, and easily add another 10 feet using our cut and shut skills. We could get Al over for a busmans holiday and he can spray them for us. Now you've got your new garage there'll be loads of space for us to work. I hope that you are going to have a beer fridge in the garage.

Archie
post #20 of 31 Old 05-23-2008, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
Pete, if you fancy a project, we should go into the limo hire business. I reckon we could buy cars that are ready for the crusher, and easily add another 10 feet using our cut and shut skills. We could get Al over for a busmans holiday and he can spray them for us. Now you've got your new garage there'll be loads of space for us to work. I hope that you are going to have a beer fridge in the garage.
Oh my God Archie, this one made me laugh out loud!!! I had to spell that out rather than using the OMG and LOL acronyms.
"Yeah, we were going to crush this piece of shit but we decided to add 10 feet and use it for weddings."
Brilliant!!

Capt. Pete

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode