New Alfa Spider - anyone got one? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 05-16-2008, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
New Alfa Spider - anyone got one?

http://www.alfaspiderle.co.uk/

Thinking about one of these as a daily driver. Any experiences of the new shape?
The Ltd Edition comes in three colours, White with black leather, Red with black leather and Black with tan leather. The 19 inch wheels really set it off.

The need for a Mercedes estate has gone now, as I have pursuaded Mrs G to have a 7 seater MPV I can't wait to get rid of it, it's horrible.

What do you think?

Archie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-16-2008, 02:29 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
I like the black one, but I've never got close to one, so I can't tell you anything other than it's a great looking car

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #3 of 19 Old 05-16-2008, 02:36 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,045
It's pretty good looking...I'd go for it. But then again, I've always been a Maser man when it comes to Ferrari's little brothers.

post #4 of 19 Old 05-16-2008, 04:19 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
It is a pretty nice looking car little convertible, I would look into it

Chris

“ To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.”-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #5 of 19 Old 05-16-2008, 10:46 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
No but I am a big fan of the older classic Pininfarina S1, S2, & S4 Spiders. Simple, fun to drive, and classic looks.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-17-2008, 02:03 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
http://www.alfaspiderle.co.uk/

Thinking about one of these as a daily driver. Any experiences of the new shape?
The Ltd Edition comes in three colours, White with black leather, Red with black leather and Black with tan leather. The 19 inch wheels really set it off.

The need for a Mercedes estate has gone now, as I have pursuaded Mrs G to have a 7 seater MPV I can't wait to get rid of it, it's horrible.

What do you think?
Looks good! And for sure it΄s fun to drive
post #7 of 19 Old 05-17-2008, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
No but I am a big fan of the older classic Pininfarina S1, S2, & S4 Spiders. Simple, fun to drive, and classic looks.
I like the older one's too, however, I'm looking for something to use as a daily driver in all seasons. I don't think an old spider would be practical or reliable.

Archie
post #8 of 19 Old 05-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
I like the older one's too, however, I'm looking for something to use as a daily driver in all seasons. I don't think an old spider would be practical or reliable.
True, reliability was not one of the engineering challenges that Alfa was particularly concerned with.
post #9 of 19 Old 05-18-2008, 12:21 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 56
I've not driven one but I'd say go for it. Beautiful car - much better looking than its Brera Brother. I've been wanting an Alfa for many years but been put off by reliability; I think this is a lot better these days so when I change my car I may opt for one. I would probably be buying secondhand so I would go for a 156 or 159 - quite practical and attractive too.

"If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs..." (Kipling)
post #10 of 19 Old 05-18-2008, 08:06 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 366
OK, Boxer and Dmitri, what do you think of my newest acquisition? I'm keeping my 328 more or less as a show car, and I'll use the Alfa for daily duties. Doesn't have a lot of horsepower, but it is still a blast to drive. I probably agree with Archie that since it is 17 years old, it's not going to be as reliable as something newer. -Steve
Attached Images

post #11 of 19 Old 05-18-2008, 08:40 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari328GT View Post
OK, Boxer and Dmitri, what do you think of my newest acquisition? I'm keeping my 328 more or less as a show car, and I'll use the Alfa for daily duties. Doesn't have a lot of horsepower, but it is still a blast to drive. I probably agree with Archie that since it is 17 years old, it's not going to be as reliable as something newer. -Steve
Hey Steve that is a gorgeous Alfa Spider - I am very envious. It looks surprisingly good in white too. I am sure she will be a perfect lady.

"If you can keep your head whilst all around you are losing theirs..." (Kipling)
post #12 of 19 Old 05-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 366
Thanks, Paul. I have been looking all over the U.S. for four months to find one, ended up finding this one 15 minutes away! It's been in Phoenix all its life, so no rust, and only 77K miles. I love white cars with tan interiors. This interior is all tan, except the PO reupholstered the seats in black (why in Phoenix would you do that?). I'm going back to tan. This should be a fun project car. -Steve
post #13 of 19 Old 05-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
I think it is great. Given my experience with the 308 GTB, the Alfa should be more than up to the task with a little TLC.
post #14 of 19 Old 05-18-2008, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Steve, it is beautiful, the white with black looks great. Let us know how you get on with it as a daily driver:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Archie
post #15 of 19 Old 05-18-2008, 04:30 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Very nice car! Looks great in white

Chris

“ To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.”-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #16 of 19 Old 05-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Quote:
what do you think of my newest acquisition?
That is fantastic Steve! Absolutely!

The new Spider is beautiful Archie, I would be tempted for sure (Black with Tan).

post #17 of 19 Old 05-20-2008, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Owner

The Ltd Edition Spider's have all gone now (only 200 were made). However, there is a rumor that Alfa are going to bring another 150 into the Uk in July.

The Merc's on Autotrader at the moment, as soon as it's gone I can go out and buy something.

I'm even considering buying a low mileage MGF 1.8i VVC for short term summer use. You can pick them up for next to nothing, and the low milers have been really pampered and garaged. The benefit of that is that it should be reliable as a daily driver for 12 months, and it won't be worth any less when I part company with it. I'm fed up with depreciation on brand new German cars.
I bought a brand new MGF 1.8i in BRG in 1997 and kept it for 6 years, I really loved that car and only sold it when I bought my first Audi A4 cabriolet.
I know the styling's not to everyone's taste, but they are far more comfortable than a MX5. The VVC does 0-60 in 7 secs, so it's not slow.

...plus the real benefit of this is that I have extra funds to go into my 355 account

Archie
post #18 of 19 Old 05-21-2008, 08:06 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,045
Quote:
It has a really nice clean look, I'd give it the :thumbup:
post #19 of 19 Old 05-22-2008, 08:54 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 45
I would say this is the way to go. It's quite a good looking car in my view.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode