I am a Hard Green - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 05-14-2008, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
I am a Hard Green

There are two sad news accounts in today’s paper. The first is the American Le Mans Series will be going “soft green”. They are requiring that “renewable” fuels be used. This means in the U. S. of A., corn. More corn will be taken out of the months of children in the third world to be put into a beast. Mexico already understands this because their stable, the corn tortilla, is now going up in price much faster than inflation. Oh, well. The soft greens are happy because it sounds good and feels good to the rich America. Good science does not matter.

The second sad news is the resignation of Marina Silva, the Brazilian Minister of the Environment. She could not stop the cutting of the rain forest for the growing of sugar cane. Sugar cane makes alcohol which feeds the cars down there. Of course we need renewable fuel. Opps, Brazil just discovered two large pools of oil. If the pools are confirmed, Brazil will have the largest oil reverse in the world, larger than Saudi Arabia. Gee, maybe we are not running out of oil.

12 cylinders or walk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
I saw that story the other day, it looks like Brazil could be getting rich real soon.

As for environment, I am on the greener side and sometimes have trouble with the fact that I like cars that pollute quite a bit.

However, there is so many ways we can go green. For example:

- Pasta made in Italy and sold in the USA is actually made with U.S. wheat. So get this, we spend energy (fuel) to send wheat to Italy, the more energy to send it back to the U.S. all so we can have "Made in Italy" on the box.

- Meat: cow crap has a major impact, eat less meat

I could go on and on. We are headed in the right direction and the green movement is hear to stay not just a fad.
post #3 of 32 Old 05-14-2008, 11:25 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
As for environment, I am on the greener side and sometimes have trouble with the fact that I like cars that pollute quite a bit.
I struggle with the same issue, which is why I now drive a diesel as my daily car. When I get another F-car I'm thinking that the damage done by its emissions will be offset by the diesel. I don't think I could go as far as buying a Prius or a hybrid just yet, but would consider it if they made them practical and affordable.

Archie

post #4 of 32 Old 05-15-2008, 01:23 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Even on the ships we now have convention from the International Maritime Organization called the International Air Pollution Prevention act. All ships must comply with emissions standards. Our ships no longer burn the heavy fuel oils, they burn low sulfer diesel. The engines are certified for low emissions. And with my company we are building smaller, more efficient ships. We are building 2 ships for the Alaska service which has the most stingent pollution regulations in the world. Who'd have ever thought there would be such a thing as a "green" oil drilling ship?

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #5 of 32 Old 05-16-2008, 03:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I saw that story the other day, it looks like Brazil could be getting rich real soon.

However, there is so many ways we can go green. For example:

- Pasta made in Italy and sold in the USA is actually made with U.S. wheat. So get this, we spend energy (fuel) to send wheat to Italy, the more energy to send it back to the U.S. all so we can have "Made in Italy" on the box.

- Meat: cow crap has a major impact, eat less meat

I could go on and on. We are headed in the right direction and the green movement is hear to stay not just a fad.

I could not agree more to your arguments !
Personally I/we as a "try to be as responsible as possible" family try to save my oil balance for the Ferrari by consuming regional food, fresh fruits and vergetables from our regional farmers. We do not eat in wintertime summerfruits from New Zealand etc. We do not fly with the kids whenever possible (3 times so far in 9 years) but use our Van (6 persons in one car). We use electricity to heat the house (50% from water power) and my work location is 50 feets from home (no car use for work access). Since selling the Porsche 911 I bought a Audi A2 for everyday use. Uses 5 liters per 100 km, not bad. But yes, we could do more.....i.e. consequently by not driving a Ferrari. So my calculation goes like this: If I'm not travelling with my family by plane to a destination 8'000km from Switzerland once an year we save 80 times (per 100km) times 6 persons times 5 liters (kerosin that is) equals 2'400 litres of Kerosin. Assuming average 15 liters per 100km for the Scuderia then I'm alloud to drive 16'000km per year with the Ferrari. To bad my family has to stay home while I'm using the Ferrari
post #6 of 32 Old 05-16-2008, 03:48 AM
Owner

Ohhh I just realize that the calculation implies only a one way flight......!
post #7 of 32 Old 05-16-2008, 04:13 AM
Owner
Elite Member

One thing I've realized that seems to be a trend is the false savings of energy efficient appliances and building materials. Take me for example, I had an 80-year-old, uninsulated house (I did put insulation in the attic) with a furnace that was built in the 50's. That house sucked down the oil in the winter. I just bought a new house last year built with all the latest materials and insulation (6" thick insulated walls) and a state-of-the-art Italian furnace. Should be fuel efficient right? Well the new house is bigger so it takes just as much oil to heat it that the old house did. Same with the appliances, the old house had old appliances, the new house has all new energy efficient appliance but there are more of them so electric consumption is the same.

So I have not reduced my energy consumption but I have improved my lifestyle without increasing my energy consumption so I guess that is a fair trade off. But we still see the trend of people "upgrading" to more efficient stuff but accumulating more of them. From what I've seen our energy consumption will not go down no matter what we do.

Capt. Pete
post #8 of 32 Old 05-16-2008, 05:59 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,045
It's all pseudo-environmentalism guys! So many of these things some people think are "greening" the world, are only making them feel like they're making a difference.
post #9 of 32 Old 05-16-2008, 06:41 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri View Post
It's all pseudo-environmentalism guys! So many of these things some people think are "greening" the world, are only making them feel like they're making a difference.
Your maybe partially right, but after all we are what we think....that's one of the reason why we drive Ferrari's !
post #10 of 32 Old 05-16-2008, 07:24 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 465
The best way to conserve resources and minimize one's impact on the environment is to live with humility and frugality. Everything you do, every aspect of your life can have an impact.

Our societies unfortunately do not place much value on humility and frugality, and some of the "greenest" people in our societies are among the most ignored. As expected, many of those who scream "green" the loudest are among those who need it the most.

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi

Last edited by Tony K; 05-16-2008 at 07:31 AM.
post #11 of 32 Old 05-16-2008, 10:37 AM

Well put. I've noticed that most Prius drivers i have met didn't buy the Prius for its fuel efficiency and mileage or its low emissions, but because it makes them feel good because other's look at them and think "Hey, he cares," or "wow, what a progressive mindful and socially conscious person."
post #12 of 32 Old 05-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony K View Post
The best way to conserve resources and minimize one's impact on the environment is to live with humility and frugality.
Yeah, this is a Ferrari enthusiast site. You sure are preachin' to the choir there Tony.

Capt. Pete
post #13 of 32 Old 05-16-2008, 11:40 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Well put. I've noticed that most Prius drivers i have met didn't buy the Prius for its fuel efficiency and mileage or its low emissions, but because it makes them feel good because other's look at them and think "Hey, he cares," or "wow, what a progressive mindful and socially conscious person."
Yup. Plus the fact that the prius sucks at the highway. The only place where the prius works is gridlock.

My way to save energy is to put on an extra sweater when i get cold (instead of turning up the heat) and killing some lights that I don't need because I only look at my computerscreen.
post #14 of 32 Old 05-16-2008, 11:46 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
The best way to conserve resources and minimize one's impact on the environment is to live with humility and frugality. Everything you do, every aspect of your life can have an impact.

Our societies unfortunately do not place much value on humility and frugality, and some of the "greenest" people in our societies are among the most ignored. As expected, many of those who scream "green" the loudest are among those who need it the most.
I agree with that. Al Gore is a prime example. He is a "green" fanatic, but I read about his gigantic house and his gas guzzlers What a great guy. I would say practice what you preach.

Chris

“ To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.”-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #15 of 32 Old 05-16-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basosz View Post
Yup. Plus the fact that the prius sucks at the highway. The only place where the prius works is gridlock.

My way to save energy is to put on an extra sweater when i get cold (instead of turning up the heat) and killing some lights that I don't need because I only look at my computerscreen.
That is the best way right there. No arguing that method.
post #16 of 32 Old 05-16-2008, 02:04 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Quote:

Very true!

And Pete, great comment about Tony's post! hehehehehe

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #17 of 32 Old 05-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 271
My sig say's it all.
post #18 of 32 Old 05-20-2008, 05:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 167
Quote:
The only thing they forget is that the Nickel Foam batteries that run a Prius Have more enviornmental impact than any car would over its entire lifespan.
post #19 of 32 Old 05-20-2008, 06:51 AM
Owner
Elite Member

I actually looked at a Prius for the wife since she puts like 30k miles a year on a car and the fuel bills were killing me. I actually liked the car fine. The thing that scared me off was the fact that the batteries needed to be replaced after 5 years to the tune of $3,000. Of course the salesman downplayed that, he was like, "Well, battery technology will increase in 5 years so the price will probably come down." No thanks. Try selling a 4 year old Prius with the original batteries. We ended up getting her a diesel Mercedes instead.

Capt. Pete
post #20 of 32 Old 05-20-2008, 10:51 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Personally I usually think, 'What a progressive ******!'
(please feel free to fill in your own 6 letter expletive).

It is not because I am environmentally unconscious (I recycle like mad), it is just a butt ugly car. Also there is a tendancy in the UK to believe that 30k miles per annum in a Prius is somehow better than 5k in a high powered sports car - I thinks that's tosh!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode