View Poll Results: Acura NSX? Supercar?
Yes 8 28.57%
No 20 71.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old 04-15-2008, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Acura Nsx? Supercar?

Do you think the Acura NSX should be classified as a supercar? I've heard many debates about this.

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 04-15-2008, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Personally I love the NSX. I wish they didn't stop making it, and if the '91s were about 5k cheaper I would have one right now. I think it has all the makings of a supercar. The 6 cylinder sounds and performs very nice, and on top of that what supercar out there has the running cost of Honda's 6 cylinder?

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France

Last edited by Chrishawk4; 04-15-2008 at 01:09 PM.
post #3 of 44 Old 04-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
There is rumor of the return of the NSX in 2010 or 2012

I'm sure all other manufactures will be holding their breath for it is bound to be unbelievable.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson

post #4 of 44 Old 04-16-2008, 07:24 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
l've always had a soft spot for the NSX, and being Honda's they will go forever. But I wouldn't call it a supercar, the same as I wouldn't call any mass produced V8 Ferrari a supercar - possibly a junior supercar.
For me a supercar has to be a car with very limited production, outrageous styling and near record breaking performance for its era of production. I mean cars like F40, F50, Enzo, Koenigseggs, Veyron, McLaren F1, other Bugatti's, big lambo's...etc, but not a mass produced Honda

Archie
post #5 of 44 Old 04-16-2008, 07:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 465
Hmmm . . . let me think back to the early 1990s . . .

-- looked like a supercar -- [check]

-- was fast like a supercar -- [check]

-- handled like a supercar -- [check] (...actually better than most...)

-- dimensions and proportions of a supercar -- [check]

-- engine layout as prevalent in supercars of the day -- [check]

-- was compared to other supercars in road tests -- [check]

Yes, it is a "supercar"; well, better to replace "supercar" in the States with the phrase of the decade that had just concluded, "exotic car".

For the naysayers,

"supercars don't have V6s" -- well, the 911 Carrera and Turbo were considered exotic cars, as was the Renault Alpine . . . and they had sixes. And of course the Esprit had four.

"no racing pedigree" -- well, the same can be said for every Lamborghini ever built at that time. It wasn't until a few years later when Diablos entered in some weaksauce series. Oh, and, uh, "the NSX has a pint of Ayrton Senna's blood in the oil" lol

"made by a common car company" -- so what. It's not a common car. No one berates the mediocre Toyota 2000GT; why the double standard? How about the BMW M1. . . sure, BMWs are more expensive, but they are still common.

The fact is that Honda beat down all of the entry to mid tier exotics at what they do best, and put it in a reliable, low-maintenance package that you can use to buy groceries. Today, the F430 is approaching that standard -- easy to get in and out of, more comfortable, less worry of mechanical disaster, . . and bland styling, too!

I guess being priced significantly less than Ferraris and Lotus of the day really hurt the NSX's reputation -- undeservedly.

It's kind of funny -- when the NSX came out, people in America didn't say "supercar" -- that was a British word. We said "exotic", or "150mph", because that was the benchmark of the 80s; if it went over 150, it qualified. No one made claims like "it's not a true super/exotic car". Questions were raised such as, "Is the world ready for a 150mph Honda?", but the car was universally praised, and only criticised for one thing: being too "perfect" and "lacking soul" -- i.e. not having the funny quirks that other exotics had.

Fast forward to today: We have a bunch of millenials who became cognizant of cars in an era of 250-hp Camrys and 400-hp Corvettes, and they call anything less than that "slow". They are not old enough (or weren't born yet) to remember the days of the "double nickel", when econo cars had somewhere between 60-90hp, family cars were in the lower three digits, speedometers maxed out at 85mph, and Porsche 944s and Ferrari 308s were fast.

This particular subset of millenials are the first of two groups that like to poo-poo the NSX. They think it's "slow". Oh, and it's a Honda. It's not as fast as their SR20DETblingblangNismo with Turboandintercoolerand BOVandNAWWZZZZ that managed to go an entire quarter mile in a straight line in 12 seconds. You know the ones I'm talking about. They can be found on web forums by day and supermarket/big box store parking lots by night.

The other group who claim the NSX is not a true "supercar" or "exotc car" are of another demographic, and they have their own prejudices. They like to spew words like "heritage" and "tradition" more than necessary when talking about cars. The only true Porsches are air-cooled. The only true Lancias are pre-Fiat, because, as you know, all of the engineers and workers at the company Lancia magically vaporized when Fiat bought the company. The only true Maseratis are pre-Citroen; the BiTurbo -- hah!, don't make them laugh! The Europa was the last true Lotus (except for the new Elise, of course), and we call that bygone era "The Chapman Era", despite the fact that the Esprit was Chapman's proudest road car achievement, and it along with the Elite/Eclat were the cars that fulfilled Chapman's long-time aspiration to move the company upmarket. And, of course, no Honda can ever be a supercar. The NSX, despite its excellence in every respect, is lacking something -- anything -- we'll make up something intangible if necessary -- to say that the NSX is not a true exotic/supercar.

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi

Last edited by Tony K; 04-16-2008 at 08:01 AM.
post #6 of 44 Old 04-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
l've always had a soft spot for the NSX, and being Honda's they will go forever. But I wouldn't call it a supercar, the same as I wouldn't call any mass produced V8 Ferrari a supercar - possibly a junior supercar.
For me a supercar has to be a car with very limited production, outrageous styling and near record breaking performance for its era of production. I mean cars like F40, F50, Enzo, Koenigseggs, Veyron, McLaren F1, other Bugatti's, big lambo's...etc, but not a mass produced Honda
The words "supercar" and "junior supercar" are relatively new in American car lingo. We used to call anything that was low-slung, fast, foreign, and built in any kind of limited numbers an "exotic" car. Thanks to the internet, many Americans today throw around the word "supercar" correctly and incorrectly applied to various cars. It doesn't always mean the same thing to different people. The lines are blurry. "Junior supercar" is a phrase almost unheard of over here.

Bear that in mind when reading my reply above.

Another word that the internet has bastardized is "concours". People who have never seen a 100-point car in their life keep saying "concourse". I keep telling them that a competition and a thoroughfare are two different things. The worst are the eBay jockeys who tart up an creaky old Ferrari with tire shine and copious amounts of leather dye and put it on the market, saying it is "concourse" puh-leeze!!!!

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi
post #7 of 44 Old 04-16-2008, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Very nice read Tony. I have heard all those reasons before about the NSX not being a supercar. It wasn't a huge hit in the US, there weren't even a fraction produced compared to any other Honda. An interesting thing that I have seen from this car. I have seen a 2000 NSX for $18,000 and a 2000 NSX for $50,000. The 18k one has less miles

Night Life,
It is going to be interesting to see the new NSX....but its suppose to be front engine

Bottom Line:
I would like to own one of these amazing cars at one point in my life

Chris

post #8 of 44 Old 04-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Owner

By the way, to everyone: Don't take me too seriously. I'm just trying to make conversation.

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi
post #9 of 44 Old 04-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Owner

Going back to racing pedigree for a moment . . . Senna drove a what in the late 80s? A Lotus-What? In what series? Formula What? Did it win a race or two? . . . shhhh! :stickpoke

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi
post #10 of 44 Old 04-16-2008, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony K View Post
Going back to racing pedigree for a moment . . . Senna drove a what in the late 80s? A Lotus-What? In what series? Formula What? Did it win a race or two? . . . shhhh! :stickpoke

Chris

post #11 of 44 Old 04-16-2008, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
By the way, to everyone: Don't take me too seriously. I'm just trying to make conversation.
But thats what the forum is of course....conversation....most of the time random though

Chris

post #12 of 44 Old 04-16-2008, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

I found the production numbers for the US from '91-'05

Total amount of cars

Not normal Honda production numbers

Chris

Last edited by Chrishawk4; 04-16-2008 at 11:10 AM.
post #13 of 44 Old 04-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Owner

Wow

Chris,

You

really

know

how

to

make

a

vertical

post!!!

!

!

!

Thanks for the numbers -- I always wondered what the annual production was.

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi
post #14 of 44 Old 04-16-2008, 02:10 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Quote:
In 1987 Senna drove a Lotus-Honda (i.e., the car had a Honda engine), model 99T, in the Formula 1 World Chamionship.

He won in Monaco for the first time in 1987, with that very 99T Lotus, and also won the race in the US.

So yes, he did win two races that year.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #15 of 44 Old 04-16-2008, 02:14 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Quote:

"no racing pedigree" -- well, the same can be said for every Lamborghini ever built at that time. It wasn't until a few years later when Diablos entered in some weaksauce series.
I disagree, Tony. Lamborghini provided engines for F1 in the late 80s, and as far as I know that does count as racing pedigree.

Not the same as having a team, like Ferrari did, but it does count.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #16 of 44 Old 04-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 374
John Surtees drove a Honda Formula one to victory in Monza in 1967. He was a Ferrari Formula one dissident, having won an F1 championship with Ferrari... Honda did have some racing background, Lamborghini didn't.

... racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting... (Steve McQueen / Le Mans)
post #17 of 44 Old 04-17-2008, 10:48 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Quote:

. It's not as fast as their SR20DETblingblangNismo with Turboandintercoolerand BOVandNAWWZZZZ that managed to go an entire quarter mile in a straight line in 12 seconds.
Ha ha ha ha

That was a great rant..

You sir are correct in most of your post.

Very well said.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #18 of 44 Old 04-17-2008, 11:27 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
The NSX is a exotic sportscar, but not a supercar. Supercar would put it in the realm of the F40, XJ220 etc. It isn't even close to any of those.
post #19 of 44 Old 04-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
An article in the Brotherhood magazine reports "...(348) performance figures were an impressive zero to sixty in 5.5 seconds with top speed at 175MPH, just enough to Ferrari's junior supercar crown away from Honda's NSX..." That statement claims a better performance curve for the 348 making it the winner of Junior Supercar.

As a 348 owner, I respectfully disagree. The 348 is not a "Junior Supercar", therefore, niether is the NSX.

To me the supercar moniker has lost its definition by over use and misassignment. There should be no more than 1 supercar in any year. Just pick one. By that definition, the NSX doesn't even come close nor does the 348.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #20 of 44 Old 04-21-2008, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

I would say that the NSX is more so an exotic sportscar then a supercar. The name "supercar" is definitely used to loosely.

Chris

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode