Wheels and Tires - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 09-20-2007, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Wheels and Tires

How do you select wheels and tires

I'm looking for a set of wheels that can improve the majesty of my 348 but I don't know how to shop. I assume I want a 3 piece Forged aluminum since that seems to be all the rage but I'm not sure why. I would think that a critical paerameter of a high quality wheel would include performance charateristics such as flex under lateral load but I don't see any data regarding that. Is flex such a small risk that appearance is the only consideration?

Now Tires...I'm sure everyone has an opinion here. Since my car will not be driven during the winter months, I'll need summer only, High Performance, Z rated, sneakers. I'm real happy with the Continentals on my Audi but those are all season. The Factory P-Zero's on my Fcar suck. They break free without any warning and the right front has a "Hop" in it. They are fairly well worn so my opinion may be unwarranted. I've looked at a few and like the tread patterns on the Toyo Proxies. Any experiences out there?

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 09-20-2007, 10:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
I've seen a few 348's that have been fitted with 355 wheels and look very good. The increase from 17 inch to 18 inch wheels makes a difference to the cars appearance, and personally I do like the 355 wheels.

Archie
post #3 of 31 Old 09-21-2007, 12:45 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,132
I am a fan of Michelins. I have them on both the F40 and 360. Handling is very good and they wear well. Agree with your comments on the Pirellis.

post #4 of 31 Old 09-21-2007, 05:27 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Are you ready to panic???

Here is some info to help find what you need. You need to do some research but here are a few facts to help out.

348 Wheel dimensions: 5x108mm bolt pattern, 17 inch diameter by 7.5 inch width front wheels, 17 inch diameter by 9 inch width rear wheels (shares bolt pattern with 355, Mondial, Testarossa, 360, 456).

Wheel Widths + Offsets
348: 7.5" +49mm Front; 9" +68mm Rear

Make sure you use the correct pressure
F 2,4 bar = 34.78 PSI
R 2,6 bar = 37.69 PSI

Not sure if you want to have Ferrari wheels but I would but here is what to consider.

355 Wheels, you have 3 options

Setup1: Aggressive look good street performance
Front 15mm spacers
Rear 25mm spacers
Disadvantage: front tires kicks up crap

Setup 2: Great street performance (handling)
Front no spacers
Rear 15mm spacers

Setup 3: Excellent street performance, handling is unbelievable, more stable and corners like crazy.
Front no spacers
Rear 25mm spacers

F355 wheels run 52mm bolts all around.

Your current rear bolts therefore must be 52mm+25. They will not be reusable in the front because they're too long. Hill Engineering can help, you need stock 355 bolts.

http://www.hill-engineering.co.uk/fe...eelspacers.htm

Your current front bolts therefore must be 52mm+15 and can be reused on the back with the 15mm spacer. As you move those bolts to the back, examine the threads very carefully for any stripped, stretched, or otherwise damaged thread. Any sign of damage, you should replace them or this can happen (see picture below)

360 Wheels
The wheels are 15mm wider than stock in the front and 41mm wider in the back so don’t put any spacers.

1. Original wheel bolts used (no need for new ones).
2. No spacers needed to make wheel fit.
3. Wheels fit as if you were to put 17.5mm spacer on front with 348 wheel.
4. Wheels fit as if you were to put 41.7mm spacer on rear with 348 wheel.
5. Wheel does not rub on lip of fender

Ricambi also has them.

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/produc...ucts_id=224434
http://www.ricambiamerica.com/produc...ucts_id=263908

See pictures in second link to see what I mean about kicking up crap on to the car.

Tires

If staying with the same wheel size as OEM use the same tire size.
Front 215/50-17
Rear 255/45-17

Ferrari 360 Modena
Front 225-40/18
Rear 275-35/18

Brands (from most expensive/popular on down)
1. Pirelli P-Zero ($152 each) / Pzero Asym ($227 ea), Bridgestone RE540 + RE55, Continental Sport Contact ($192 ea)
2. Bridgestone S-02, Dunlop Sportmaxx, BFGoodrich KD ($150), Toyo 888, Toyo TR-1 ($140), Continental Extreme Contact ($129)
3. Kumho Ecsta 712 rears ($99) / 712 Fronts ($100), Yokohama Advan A048's, Toyo/Falken 512/Hankook K104 ($89 ea) /Cooper

If you’re going to buy other wheels, here are a few links

www.vellanowheels.com
www.fikse.com
www.dpe-wheels.com
www.neezwheels.com
www.iforged.com
www.jlinewheels.com

Hope this helps.

Good luck and may the Force be with you!

Mario

~
Attached Images

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
post #5 of 31 Old 09-21-2007, 05:30 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 167
The common use on three piece forged is the weight factor...they are signifigantly lighter then thier cast counterparts.

I would first look at other ferrari wheels as I have yet to see a nice set of aftermarkets that really look at home on 348s

For tires...what type of driver are you? I personally like the Yokohamas I just put on my Maser they have a very progressive break to them and a nice compound for fast road applications. Also remember that sudden break may be a little bit the fact it is a mid engine car.
post #6 of 31 Old 09-21-2007, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Mag
I really appreciate your thought, patience, detail and effort replying to this thread. Your information is extremely useful to most 348 owners. However, my 348 is an SS and came from the factory with the wider stance you represent in option 3 without the use of spacers. I agree the 355 wheels are very attractive and that might be where I end up. I've seen a set of aftermarket 3 piece beauty's on a 1990 348. See attached photo number 1. I have also seen a 1991 348 with wheels that are also stunning from an aggressive street perspective. Photo 2 and 3. Photo 2 and 3 are 18" with Vredenstein tires (photo 4) that also looks real useful. Not sure where I'm going yet. Probably stay with a factory look (355) but not ready to pull the trigger yet. Looking for opinions and your does count.

For the record, The Ferrari tune, while fantastic at all levels, creates a special harmonic balance with my inner ear and Loins at 2 points, the quiet grumble of 2500 RPM, and the throat pounding melody of acceration from 5K to 8K RPM. I use the Ferrari for low speed cruzing through quiet New England towns with an occasional ( once every 3 or 4 minutes, TeHeHe) burst of Highly Aggressive acceleration and hard cornering.
Attached Images

Lane

post #7 of 31 Old 09-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Owner

Off topic, but how is your foot now, fully recovered?

Archie
post #8 of 31 Old 09-21-2007, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Still mild aches on the occasional slap shift but otherwise OK. I'm sure the clutch linkage is happy for the rest.

Thanks for asking

Lane

post #9 of 31 Old 09-21-2007, 02:22 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
I really like those black wheels on the F355, very nice.
post #10 of 31 Old 09-21-2007, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Yeah...Sweet huh. Hard to see in that shot but its a 348. The Black wheels really establish that moonshine motif. Not as classy but very aggressive.

The guy told me I could have a set mounted with Vredensteins for $2500 including shipping from Florida to Connecticut. Anybody got experience with Vredenstein tires? I like the tread but have no idea about compound or side wall support. The 18"s will be 35 series so sidewall isn't much of an issue.

Lane

post #11 of 31 Old 09-22-2007, 01:21 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
I am embarrassed I called that a F355. I should have put my coke bottles on to see.
post #12 of 31 Old 09-22-2007, 08:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 132
Here's my opinion and my reasoning, for what it's worth. I think the 348 styling is disliked by some, for a very few reasons, one is the factory rims. The 355 wheels make the car look fantastic, AND still relatively factory as the 348 does share it's profile with the 355. Aftermarket rims are way cooler, BUT I personally like the more classic Ferrari look, now this is where I can get dissed! Aftermarket rims somehow lessen the value of a Ferrari (not the 360s and newer) or am I just way off? I didn't like the look of 14s on my 308 so I went with Ferrari 16s, I think the 355 rims on a 348 are the equivilent upgrade. Again, this is just MY opinion, and I am happy to hear everyone else's thoughts! Ciao! Dennis
post #13 of 31 Old 09-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Owner

Dennis, I think that you are spot on. I've seen a few 348's with 355 wheels and they look really good. If I had a 348 I would do it myself.

Archie
post #14 of 31 Old 09-22-2007, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Theres a set of 19's in the buying and selling section under 456GT. They might look nice. There real wide though. That might be tough with a 348...no power steering. Any opinions?

Looked again...ehhh... not that much wider

Lane

post #15 of 31 Old 09-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino246gt View Post
Here's my opinion and my reasoning, for what it's worth. I think the 348 styling is disliked by some, for a very few reasons, one is the factory rims. The 355 wheels make the car look fantastic, AND still relatively factory as the 348 does share it's profile with the 355. Aftermarket rims are way cooler, BUT I personally like the more classic Ferrari look, now this is where I can get dissed! Aftermarket rims somehow lessen the value of a Ferrari (not the 360s and newer) or am I just way off? I didn't like the look of 14s on my 308 so I went with Ferrari 16s, I think the 355 rims on a 348 are the equivilent upgrade. Again, this is just MY opinion, and I am happy to hear everyone else's thoughts! Ciao! Dennis
I agree with Dennis to a point, from my experience of aftermarket rims, there are very few that match the quality of the originals in terms of both styling and build quality especially the latter, even today. The fact that you see so many 10-20 plus year old F-cars with the original rims is testemony to the build quality of the original rims.

That having been said, if I wanted to enhance the look of my car in an area in which I felt it was lacking than I would have no doubts about seeking an aftermarket alternative, the problem is I think (aside from build quality) to find a contemporary rim that would suit a 10-20 year old design. As most contemporary rims are by their very nature of a contemporary design. If you are of my opinion in that most (not all) Ferrari design is relatively timeless than the task becomes harder. I.e how do you find a contemporary design that is timeless or at the very least will age well? Does that make sense?

I would go with the upgraded (355) originals personally, however if you do find a cool 'classic' contemporary design I would love to see it.
post #16 of 31 Old 09-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post
Theres a set of 19's in the buying and selling section under 456GT. They might look nice. There real wide though. That might be tough with a 348...no power steering. Any opinions?

Looked again...ehhh... not that much wider
Very nice 5-spokes! :thumbup:

I think these are similar ones on a motor...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpegevents/623504480/
Attached Images

Last edited by t1fosI; 09-22-2007 at 03:18 PM.
post #17 of 31 Old 09-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post
Mag
I really appreciate your thought, patience, detail and effort replying to this thread. Your information is extremely useful to most 348 owners. However, my 348 is an SS

No problem, yeah 99% of 348 owners…you’re of the elite club of 100.

When I get my 348, 2 things are getting replaced, the rims and rear light panel. Going to the 355 rims and tail lights. Everyone know what the car looks like with the 355 rims but here is a picture I saw in the buyers guide that made me want them bad. The TR grill on the 348 to me was a miss.

~
Attached Images

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
post #18 of 31 Old 09-24-2007, 01:00 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,045
I like the black wheels...and that was one hell of a nice and in depth post up there. Props.
post #19 of 31 Old 01-29-2008, 01:48 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Thanks everyone for the interesting reading; I have been through this dilema - later Ferrari wheels or aftermarket for my 348 - I went aftermarket; but had to select very carefully to retain the period look and improve the handlng.

I went for BBS LM's in the end, they have been in the BBS catalogue for many years and are definitely in period but the spoke design still has a strong resemblance to the latest BBS wheels used on the 360 and 430 Challenge cars and even the current F1 cars! And they are lighter than the originals.

Size wise, I went for 8.5x18 and 10.5x18 with the F360 offsets which gave a bigger track increase, but I have a very early car with plenty of room in the rear arches, even so they did look a bit radical at first and I did need to add a small wheel arch 'spat' just to cover the top of the tyre and its interesting how its altered the look of the car, I'm OK with it but I realise that it wouldn't be to everyones tase.

The car attends regular track days and the handling is much improved, the steering is still very prescise and the back end feels far less twitchy but I'm not that happy with the P Zero Rosso's and I will be switching to Michelin PS Cups pretty soon (having seen the difference they make to the regular track day Porsche machinery). Tire sizes are 125/40 and 185/35 but I will probably drop a size to 175 when I make the change as the Pirelli's sidewalls do bulge slightly on the rim at the moment.

You can check out pictures of the car on:

http://www.fgear.tv/forum/showthread.php?t=451
post #20 of 31 Old 01-29-2008, 01:58 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Sorry, that should obvously be 225/40 and 285/35 tire sizes - can't imagine what I was thinking....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode