Hello! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 03-23-2007, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 15
Hello!

Hello everyone,

I'm a part-time mechanic at AVA Restoration Services in Dublin, NH. We do a lot of work on BMWs and Porches but a few Ferraris that have been in recently inspired me to jump on here and learn a few things. I'm also looking to sell an '84 512 that we have here but I'll make another thread for that.

I currently drive a '90 BMW 325is which I've been building up for the last few years. I redid the suspension and did some cosmetic things, and am now looking into my powerplant options. It's a fun project but it's no Ferrari...

Thanks!
Brendan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 03-23-2007, 09:31 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
Welcome to this forum and enjoy!

12 cylinders or walk
post #3 of 35 Old 03-23-2007, 02:15 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Brendan,

Welcome to the site. I'll see if I can't add you to our directory of shops in that area.

Cheers

post #4 of 35 Old 03-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Hi Brendan,
Welcome to the site. I'm over in Maine. There are a few New England owners on here so some of the guys you will talk to are close to home; some of the guys are halfway around the world. Quite a diverse base of knowledge and experience. Feel free to ask any technical question and there is sure to be someone here that has the answer.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #5 of 35 Old 03-23-2007, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcomes guys! I've been pretty active in the BMW community for awhile but I've always been fascinated by ferraris. I look forward to getting to know everyone, it would be awesome if my shop could be added to the database for the local guys! We do all sorts of exotics and enthusiast cars and I always look forward meeting other people who are as into their cars as I am, so stop by!

I'll post up about that 512 we're trying to sell as well, maybe someone in the area would be interested...?

Thanks!
Brendan
post #6 of 35 Old 03-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Hey Brendan,
I checked out your links. I didn't care much for the old beemers on the AVA resto site, but I guess that is because I'm a Ferrari and Jeep guy. Great work but Beemer's just never did it for me. Give me an old Jeep instead (or a 246 GTS).
Jeeps and Ferraris are purpose built vehicles. They are machines. BMWs strike me as more of a civilized sedan where the manufacturer said, "Let's try to make it more sporty." Whereas Ferrari had a race car and they said, "Let's try and make this thing street legal!" (F40)

But I really liked your myspace site. Really cool! I listened to all 4 of the pieces you had there. Good stuff. I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite. You are very talented. If you can play my weber carbs like you can play the fiddle I've found a new mech. How about posting a video or a link to a video of your favorite piece?

Capt. Pete

Last edited by Pete04222; 03-23-2007 at 08:28 PM.
post #7 of 35 Old 03-23-2007, 08:36 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
welcome! I'll take a look at your links tomorrow, if the Captain liked it, there must be something good there! hehehehe

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #8 of 35 Old 03-23-2007, 08:58 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stile - alpine View Post
welcome! I'll take a look at your links tomorrow, if the Captain liked it, there must be something good there! hehehehe
Stile,
If you like Celtic-style music I think you'll appreciate Brendan's work.

Now we just need to hear him play "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" by Charlie Daniels and we can all have a whiskey drinken', tobacco chewin', gun shootin', ass kickin', GOOD TIME!

Brendan - You probably want to kick MY ass for that one don't you? I'm just kidding, I've got your music on as I'm writing this. (But I am downloading Devil Went Down to Georgia on RealPlayer, I forgot how much I liked that one, forgive me, I'm a redneck at heart. )

Capt. Pete
post #9 of 35 Old 03-23-2007, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

I suppose it fits with the Jeep thing...

Thank you! I've worked very hard at my music and I enjoy playing and performing almost as much as I enjoy cars. I'm now in the middle of a tricky debate with myself over whether to record a CD over the summer or put more money into cars. I suppose the logical answer would be the CD because then I'd MAKE money I could put into my car...

I agree with you for the most part about BMWs and Ferraris, although I have to say that there are SOME bimmers that fall under the "street-legal racecar" catagory too. My bosses supercraged M3, which is soon to be his track car, might be one example...? My BMW project is still my daily driver so I like having some of that refined feeling, although at this point my suspension will take your fillings out.

We work on lots of different cars at AVA and I love them all. Except Benzes because I always hurt my hands working on them for some reason.

No, I can't play your carbs as well as I can play my fiddle YET. :-) My boss, Alex, is quite good at them however, so I suppose if I teach him how to play fiddle he'll have to teach me to play carbs.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
~Brendan
post #10 of 35 Old 03-23-2007, 10:19 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Brendan,
Cars are either transportation, tools, toys or trash. Period. I have 5 cars and each one fits in one of those four catagories. My Dodge Ram is my transportation and my tool, I use it for everything. My Ferrari is my toy, when we go for a ride you get in, sit down, shut up and hang on. My Jeep is my toy, when we go for a ride you get in, sit down, shut up, hang on and you better plan on getting wet. My Commando is a tool and it is trash. It's a yard truck, it's a workhorse but it won't always start and it is an eyesore and the brakes aren't that great. I drop the 7 foot plow to stop it.

Do what you love to do and use that skill to achieve the things you want. Don't make the things you want dictate what you do. You have skill in cars, well I have skill in cars also. Are you better at it than me? I don't know. I do know you have skill in music almost everyone else lacks. The only way to achieve success is to be the best at something. I gave up wrench turning to put on a ship Captain's hat and I'm darn good at that. I guess I'm better at directing the work than doing the work. That's my skill.

So I'd say put your time and effort towards the CD. I'll buy one.

Capt. Pete
post #11 of 35 Old 03-24-2007, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, that's the direction I'm leaning in as well. While I could build an extremely unique BMW (I'm getting there slowly...) a CD would be a much better investment and would be an absolute blast to record.

I'd love to see your "toys" sometime, where in Maine are you? I love your synopsis of your cars, my garage is a bit like that as well, on a somewhat smaller scale.

Perhaps when I finish my CD I'll do a group buy on some of the forums I'm on...
post #12 of 35 Old 03-24-2007, 03:31 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Brendan, Welcome to FL. Saw the 512BBi, looks great in the pictures. I know a few guys who are looking for one. If you PM me your email address, I will pass it along.

Cheers,

Boxer
post #13 of 35 Old 03-24-2007, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
Stile,
Now we just need to hear him play "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" by Charlie Daniels and we can all have a whiskey drinken', tobacco chewin', gun shootin', ass kickin', GOOD TIME!
I'm not familiar with the tobacco chewing part, but I agree all the other things mean good time!! hehehehehehe

It's been a while since the last time I heard "The Devil Went Down to Georgia", I think I don't even have that song in my computer!

Well, of course now I have to find it and download it hehehehehe

But that's later, now I have German class!

post #14 of 35 Old 03-24-2007, 07:11 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidhle007 View Post
Thanks for the advice, that's the direction I'm leaning in as well. While I could build an extremely unique BMW (I'm getting there slowly...) a CD would be a much better investment and would be an absolute blast to record.

I'd love to see your "toys" sometime, where in Maine are you? I love your synopsis of your cars, my garage is a bit like that as well, on a somewhat smaller scale.

Perhaps when I finish my CD I'll do a group buy on some of the forums I'm on...
I'm in Durham, it is exactly an hour from the bridge to New Hampshire. Right now I'm in the process of moving to a new house but perhaps this summer if you'd fancy a trip up to Maine I'll give you a ride in my toys (bring a change of clothes). If I am heading down to NH I'll give you a heads up and maybe we can hook up.

Here's the toys:
Attached Images

Capt. Pete
post #15 of 35 Old 03-24-2007, 07:26 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the tobacco chewing part, but I agree all the other things mean good time!! hehehehehehe
That's because in your neck of the woods they chew Coca leaves. Good time there too!!

Capt. Pete
post #16 of 35 Old 03-24-2007, 04:27 PM

hehehehehehehehe you know all about the good stuff, don't you?

no wonder you're the captain!

so, when is it going to be? 2008 or 2009? do you have a spare gun? it may be hard for me to get in the USA carrying a rifle or something like that! hehehehe

post #17 of 35 Old 03-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
do you have a spare gun? it may be hard for me to get in the USA carrying a rifle or something like that! hehehehe
Of course I have a spare gun! This is New England, everyone has a spare gun. That's why there is no crime here.

Capt. Pete
post #18 of 35 Old 03-24-2007, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Some of us even have spare guns for our spare guns. Although I'm not one to talk as I don't currently have a gun. I keep meaning to go get something but then I spend my income on car parts...
post #19 of 35 Old 03-26-2007, 09:52 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Pete... love the picture of the jeep next to the ferrari. I'd fancy a drive in the Jeep... and then ofcourse I'd wreck the ferrari by driving over it. The thing is just too low...
post #20 of 35 Old 03-26-2007, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

I agree, that's an awesome photo!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode