New Daily Driver - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 Old 01-09-2007, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
New Daily Driver

Well, despite plans not to be, I am back in the market for a new daily driver. After a year, the infatuation with the BMW M5 is over (actually it ended 11 1/2 months ago) and at this point I just want to see the thing gone. One idea is a Maserati 3200 (twin turbo, nice lines).

Comments, suggestions ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 01-10-2007, 12:55 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Go for it, an all Italian line up in the garage sounds very fitting.
post #3 of 59 Old 01-10-2007, 12:59 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Well, despite plans not to be, I am back in the market for a new daily driver. After a year, the infatuation with the BMW M5 is over (actually it ended 11 1/2 months ago) and at this point I just want to see the thing gone. One idea is a Maserati 3200 (twin turbo, nice lines).

Comments, suggestions ?
haha, do you hate the m5 as much as clarkson?

post #4 of 59 Old 01-10-2007, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
haha, do you hate the m5 as much as clarkson?
more, much more
post #5 of 59 Old 01-10-2007, 03:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
550 Maranello ???

Quote:

Comments, suggestions ?
Boxer, what about your 550 Maranello ? That is fully usable as daily driver, no ? Or did you part w/ 550 ? Is so, what about Aston Martin V8 Vantage, unless you need passenger car, then Masserati is a serious contender ( but as you know very well, the engine is Ferrari inside). Happy searching. Jimmy
post #6 of 59 Old 01-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 54
What's wrong with the M5?

It is on my "pick 5 cars for your garage" list... Am I missing a point (or is BMW??)

Hans
post #7 of 59 Old 01-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 566
What about a V-12 Phaeton?

"Liberals are the pallbearers of societies"

'88.3 Testarossa
'83 Mondial QV (sold!)
post #8 of 59 Old 01-10-2007, 03:22 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
What happened to the M5?

Maybe a Mercedes? I'd go for a convertible, so maybe an SLK, but I believe you'd go for the SL, right?

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy

Last edited by stile - alpine; 01-10-2007 at 03:28 PM.
post #9 of 59 Old 01-10-2007, 06:23 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 509
Clarkson didnt like the M5 except when in M mode ... I wouldnt know though.
post #10 of 59 Old 01-10-2007, 10:44 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyJunc View Post
Clarkson didnt like the M5 except when in M mode ... I wouldnt know though.
I just loved the way he was cursing the nav-computer "Oh shut up you stupid thing". He would have absolutely thrashed that car if not for the M-setting.
post #11 of 59 Old 01-10-2007, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Boxer, what about your 550 Maranello ? That is fully usable as daily driver, no ? Or did you part w/ 550 ? Is so, what about Aston Martin V8 Vantage, unless you need passenger car, then Masserati is a serious contender ( but as you know very well, the engine is Ferrari inside). Happy searching. Jimmy
Jimmy, The 550 went as part of the deal on the F40 but you are right, it could have been used as a daily driver. I am sure it would have been able to handle the rigors of stop and go traffic but I am not sure I ever would have wanted to subject it (and the clutch) to that.

The Maserati 3200 actually has a Maserati based engine (with final development done under Ferraris wing) in it with twin turbos. It is the last one before they started dropping Ferrari engines in the 4200 series.
post #12 of 59 Old 01-10-2007, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stile - alpine View Post
What happened to the M5?

Maybe a Mercedes? I'd go for a convertible, so maybe an SLK, but I believe you'd go for the SL, right?
Good suggestion but I am not a Merc fan at all. My brother had two of them (SUV and one of the big sedans) in the last 5 years. Both complete lemons with tons of quality problems.
post #13 of 59 Old 01-11-2007, 03:18 AM

Boxer, I like the Maserati 3200 very much, but since it is turbocharged, I'm not sure it is a good car to drive every day

I do drive a turbo car, and even though I love the car, I just HATE to drive it in the traffic

turbo lag gets very very very annoying after a while (specially here, where people have no respect when driving and just want to cut in front of you)

post #14 of 59 Old 01-11-2007, 03:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Mercedes, ponder again

Quote:
Good suggestion but I am not a Merc fan at all. My brother had two of them (SUV and one of the big sedans) in the last 5 years. Both complete lemons with tons of quality problems.
It is too bad your brother had problems. These modern Mercedes, I could live without. Yet still, I think you can try out the "older" Mercedes. I have had several Mercedes in the past and they were all dependable, reliable daily drivers w/ only routine maintenances. If you can reconsider MBs, I would suggest the 500E/ E500 in the early '90s. These were the limited model collaboration of MB with Porsches. In my opinion, it is one of the finest all round driver. Excellent in terms of size, power, comfort, and control. The other model would be the SL (129 models only, not the latest ones). Up to the 129 models, workmanship went in w/ quality that MB was famous for. If you are willing to try out the 129 model SLs, consider only the last year or so models (1997 till 1999 depending on the models). I have a SL600 last edition here(1997). Absolute reliablility and quality built. No major breakdowns or troubles in the last 6 years. Delight to drive and is so comfortable. V12 is bullet proof. It is so powerful yet so quiet that you get the wrong impression that it is an electric car. The power is so ample that it feels as if there is a great giant invisible hand pushing you from your behind. Now that you possess one of the most prized monsters, it would be a pleasant dichotomy to own a comfortable yet powerful daily drivers like the SL or E500. Jimmy
post #15 of 59 Old 01-11-2007, 12:58 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 24
I love Audis as daily drivers. I have an A4 3.0 and I think it's tough to beat the interior comfort and layout. The 3.0 doesn't blow the doors off of the competition, but it's definitely competent.

I'd sell my M Roadster, Coupe, and the A4 for an RS4 outright if I knew I wouldn't immediately regret it. Also, I owe the wife a bigger house before I roll another car (regardless of how I acquired it) into the driveway (and there's the -real- reason). :P

:drive:
post #16 of 59 Old 01-12-2007, 12:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
A car for you. A Maranello fits just fine,

12 cylinders or walk
post #17 of 59 Old 01-12-2007, 04:52 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
I too am a big Audi fan, and drive an A8L daily. Great car, very reliable and the fit and finish are first rate. The 4.2 motor is pretty strong, and you just can't beat Quattro. This is my second A8 and I'm hooked....great cars.
post #18 of 59 Old 01-14-2007, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
A car for you. A Maranello fits just fine,

Bart, I am shocked by your recommendation. Is 550 Maranello a good car , do you really need 12 cylinders
post #19 of 59 Old 01-14-2007, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Gentlemen, Thanks for all the advice on Mercs and Audis. I am afraid that both are probably a bit too civilized (I will regret this the first time whatever the new car is breaks down). I think if I am going to go the German route, it will probably be back to a Porsche 911 (993). The Maserati 3200 is very tempting but have had zero success so far on finding a good one at a reasonable price (although F355's seems to be in abundance and have really dropped in price the last couple of years ). The search continues...
post #20 of 59 Old 01-14-2007, 05:23 AM

Boxer, I believe the problem is that what you consider a daily driver is an exotic dream to most of us hehehehehehe

If a Porsche 911 is an option, that's the one I'd go for! Save the Ferrari taste for the weekends

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode