Saratoga Silver Arrow auto orgy in L.A. - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 11-02-2016, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,004
Garage
Saratoga Silver Arrow auto orgy in L.A.

These were not the Mercedes-Benz Silver Arrows, these were 40-odd members of the Silver Arrow Society of the Saratoga Automobile Museum (N.Y.) who last week saw as much of southern California's automobile culture as could be stuffed into four days. We started on Thursday at the Nethercutt Auto Museum and Restoration facility (two separate purpose-built structures). I have no recollection of how many best-in-class and best-in-show Pebble Beach and other Concours their cars have won but they must be at or among the world leaders. Check its website for an idea, divided into the antique, classic, vintage and post-war eras. The Collection has 14 full-time employees including 5 in the restoration building, their own cafeteria, health plan, etc.! Also contains a stunning collection of musical instruments including many self-playing pianos and a magnificent pipe organ.

Thence to the Galpin Auto Sports Museum. Galpin is the largest Ford dealership in the world, also sells BMWs and Aston-Martins. A lovely and valuable collection with emphasis on automobiles created by Ed Roth. [website!] Thursday evening to a buffet dinner at SONY Pictures Studios and a hugely worthwhile auction in support of the 11-99 Fund (11-99 being the Calif Highway patrol call for back-up) to help families, widows and orphans, of officers lost in line of duty. Followed by a pre-release private screening of Tom Hanks' new film 'Inferno'.

Friday morning to Jay Leno's Garage for a tour guided by Jay himself who could not have been more gracious and relaxed-friendly. Three (I think) very large warehouses filled with several hundred cars of which my favorite was a 1970s era Mercedes-Benz 600 Pullman in a rich tobacco-brown paint.

Afternoon to Aaron Weiss' Collection [see website], largely Marmons, Cadillacs and the like. Gorgeous cars, magnificently restored and concours-winning. Then a pre-dinner visit to Bruce Meyer's Collection [no website but click on Bruce Meyer's cars for photos of cars in his collection] right in the middle of downtown Beverly Hills. While more compact than our other visits, in one way this may have been my favorite since he had a magnificent silver 1959 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa that I had actually seen racing when I was in the Navy at NAS Alameda in California, driven by Richie Ginther and Josie von Neumann. Then to dinner all together at Via Aloro in Beverly Hills, splendid nourishment and vivid good company among interesting and interested car guys and girls.

Saturday to Oxnard to the Peter Mullen Museum [website] of which you may have read if you were following the auction a couple of years ago of the Type 57SC Bugatti Atalante, rumored to have gone to Mullen for above $40 MM. This was another very special place, another very large world-class collection focusing principally on pre-WWII French automobiles, Bugattis, Hispano-Suizas, Talbot-Lagos, Delages, Delahayes and Voisins. Oddly, many of their Bugattis were out of the Museum, on loan to the Petersen Museum's Bugatti exhibition of which more in a bit. But Mullen also has a brilliant collection of sculpture and furniture by Jean Bugatti, Ettore's brother.

In the afternoon to two smaller and more modest collections, very interesting nevertheless: Michael Malamut and Ray Scherr [check them both on line]. And Sunday to the Petersen for their regular 'Cars and Coffee' from 10-11 AM, then into the Museum itself, three floors of exhibition space, again go on line to see what's there now, a dazzling Museum and dazzling current exhibition. We then had a private guided tour of the Petersen's 'vault' the large collection of cars owned by the Museum but not presently on exhibition. If I told you what we saw there they would have to kill me. :-( Suffice to say some exceedingly rare cars, many with incredibly important historical and/or political significance.

Altogether, four mind-blowing days including five nights at the Beverly-Wilshire Hotel, most meals, a large and comfortable motor coach to ferry us hither and yon, and well worth the mid-four figure cost for two people, plus travel and the Silver Arrow membership of an annual gift of at least $1,000. to the Saratoga Automobile Museum.

Our Silver Arrow Committee is considering a trip in 2017 to the Monterey/Pebble Beach/Laguna Seca automobile madness. One does not need to be a resident of Saratoga Springs to be a Silver Arrow. Just the tax-deductible $1000. gift annually to the Museum.

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-02-2016, 06:01 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 738
Dear Seth,

Envy!!!

I am not clear about the silver 59 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa you mentioned. I know that Bruce has a Silver 1957 625 TRC raced by John, Richey and Josie. Instead of the original 625 motor it has a 250 V-12 from early in its career. Please see:
and let me know if this is the car you saw.

Best regards,

Robert

Past: 500 Mondial S2 0556(0446)/MD owned 58 years from June 1960 to August 2018
post #3 of 11 Old 11-02-2016, 07:43 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Wow ! :jawd rop:

Italian Lover

post #4 of 11 Old 11-03-2016, 03:09 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,320
Holy moly!!!

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-03-2016, 03:39 AM
Owner

Seth, I have lived in Southern California for substantial number of years (albeit as dirt poor student) and the only place that I ever visited (only few years back) was the Peterson Museum.

Here you are doing the grand whirlwind tour of all these attractions and events in just four days ?
And remember all the details ? A hero you are. Glad to hear you had a busy but enjoyable trip.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

Italian Lover
post #6 of 11 Old 11-03-2016, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Goodwrench View Post
Dear Seth,

Envy!!!

I am not clear about the silver 59 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa you mentioned. I know that Bruce has a Silver 1957 625 TRC raced by John, Richey and Josie. Instead of the original 625 motor it has a 250 V-12 from early in its career. Please see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C2O_L2SpEg
and let me know if this is the car you saw.

Best regards,
as usual you are correct mon Amiral!

Seth
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

post #7 of 11 Old 11-03-2016, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Lover View Post
Seth, I have lived in Southern California for substantial number of years (albeit as dirt poor student) and the only place that I ever visited (only few years back) was the Peterson Museum.

Here you are doing the grand whirlwind tour of all these attractions and events in just four days ?
And remember all the details ? A hero you are. Glad to hear you had a busy but enjoyable trip.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Jimmy, during our visit I was actually wishing that some of our FerrariLife and other car-loving friends could have been with us. It was almost too much, four days of automotive over-dosing gently interspersed with wonderful company and excellent food and drink.

Seth

post #8 of 11 Old 11-03-2016, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Wow ! :jawd rop:
I've just happened on an article in Sports Car Digest about the Petersen Museum's Bugatti exhibition. Here's the url:

Art of Bugatti Exhibition Opens at Petersen Museum

Seth

post #9 of 11 Old 11-03-2016, 10:32 AM
Owner

Seth, a must see for Bugatti lovers.

LA being what it is, I'm sure you had your dose of automobilia.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

Italian Lover
post #10 of 11 Old 11-03-2016, 01:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 738
Quote:

LA being what it is, ...

w/ smiles
Jimmy
And traffic!

Robert

Past: 500 Mondial S2 0556(0446)/MD owned 58 years from June 1960 to August 2018
post #11 of 11 Old 11-03-2016, 11:43 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Goodwrench View Post
And traffic!
Admiral, traffic,...indeed. Years ago when I used to commute to school (UCLA, located on the west side) from San Gabriel (east side), I usually had to leave before 7am to beat the traffic.

Nowadays, I understand it's more like six or even five am.

Everywhere seems clogged up and drivers are simply mad (most of them). I'm sure Lucca would concur. BTW, even the car pool lanes are bumper to bumper depending on the time of the day.

So, you can brag about your traffic in NM.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

Italian Lover

Last edited by Italian Lover; 11-04-2016 at 09:28 AM. Reason: spell

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode