Nothing Special! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-04-2003, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,696
Nothing Special!

I have a 550 in Orange County, California. To most of you I am an ass and you are right. Driving it here is no problem. Many of you say you put it a way for the winter. Me, my beast drives 12 months of the year.

I just love to see the woman’s car, the Porsche. They think I am either an old Corvette or an old 70s Camero.

Surprise!
Surprise!

I just hear a new joke. Many of you have heard it before.

What is the different between a porcupine and a Porsche?

The porcupine has the prick on the outside.

What fun it is to blast a Porsche away.

I am but a lower 550 driver.

Horray! Hard work made it happen.

Happy New Year!

Bart Duesler
Orange County
California
United States of America

:green: :green: :green: :green:

12 cylinders or walk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-06-2003, 04:49 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 44
"What fun it is to blast a Porsche away." Really? Let's see...

Road & Track "Road Test Summary":

FERRARI 550 MARANELLO
price as tested: $222,733
0-60 mph: 4.7 seconds
0-100 mph: 10.5 seconds
1/4 mile: 13.1 sec @ 113 mph
top speed: 193 mph
slalom: 62.8 mph

PORSCHE 911 GT2
price as tested: $187,724
0-60 mph: 3.6 seconds
0-100 mph: 8.9 seconds
1/4 mile: 11.9 sec @ 120.6 mph
top speed: 195 mph
slalom: 68.7 mph

PORSCHE 911 TURBO
price as tested: $118,365
0-60 mph: 4.0 seconds
0-100 mph: 9.2 seconds
1/4 mile: 12.4 sec @ 115.6 mph
top speed: 190 mph
slalom: 67.8 mph

PORSCHE 911 CARRERA
price as tested: $78,805
0-60 mph: 4.9 seconds
0-100 mph: 12.2 seconds
1/4 mile: 13.4 sec @ 105.1 mph
top speed: 177 mph
slalom: 67.6 mph

Exactly what kind of Porsches are you "blasting" away? 914's or 924's? Even the $80K base Carrera stays almost dead even with a 550 through the 1/4 mile (as do the Corvette and M3, both at under $50K) and all three of the 911 models listed here will take you in the twisties as shown by the faster speeds through the slalom. I know a few 911 turbo owners that paid half the price for their cars as you did yours and you know what they say? They just love "blasting" Ferraris away!

Everyone who knows me will tell you that, while I am a Porsche owner, I am truely a die-hard Ferrari nut. Still, the 550 Maranello was not made to "blast" anybody away. It's a comfortable high-performance grand touring car and not intended for street or even track racing, unlike the 911 GT2 or even the Ferrari F40. It amazes me when I see people making ignorant comments like yours. I think we all know where the prick is now.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-06-2003, 09:37 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Ouch.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."

post #4 of 7 Old 01-06-2003, 10:25 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 26
hmm yes... just overestimate the Porkers figures and underestimate the Ferraris figures...

ACTUAL figures recorded by Evo in Italy for 550M - the 575M is even faster.

0-60 - 4.2
0-100 - 9.9
0-150 - 24.2......

0-1/4 - 12.6

Top - 202mph ACTUALLY.

The GT2 and in fact all the Porsches you meantion are plain dull - minus a character and an UTTERLY souless drive.... If you measure driving performance by performance then you're barking up the wrong tree. I don't really give two hoots about a tenth here or there....

The 550 is a comfy, rewarding, sensual, emotional drive. And the Porsches are erm..... QUICK.

There is more than just one way of blasting someone away. The Ferrari 550 is an all time classic - any guise of the 996 is fairly lame - only the GT3 came close..... and even then, it's nothing.

Going off at a tangent, I believe stereotypes, however wrong, exist for a reason - Porsche drivers don't all deserve the reputation they have (many are fab enthusiasts) but you'll be amazed (at least in London, UK) how many do..
post #5 of 7 Old 01-07-2003, 06:33 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Let's not let this get out of hand here. I would have to agree with l's assesment(sp?) of the 550. It's a huge car and it's a GT. I don't think it's a Porsche killer as much as some would like to think. Yes I would take a 550 over a 911.

However, just because I would choose the 550 doesn't mean I will bad mouth the 911. The only car you'll hear me bad mouth is a Mustang (sorry to anyone that owns or has owned one in the past).
post #6 of 7 Old 01-07-2003, 10:52 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 44
Manu: Certainly you know me from F-Chat and know that I am no Porsche fan. Of course I would much rather have a 550 over my 911 for daily driver duty. For purely a performance toy, though, I think the GT2 is hard to beat for the $. It's basically in the realm of the F40/F50 for less than the price of the 550/575.

The figures I quote from Road & Track magazine aren't estimates. They are actually times recorded during road tests. In addition, I really must say that the Italian press are the ones who have been known to exagerrate when it comes to the test stats of a certain Italian marque. National pride, you know.

While not a fan of Porsches, they are still very fine automobiles for daily transportation and provide a combination of refinement, performance, reliability, and affordablity that has yet to be matched by any other automaker, though BMW has come close. That said, Porsche owners are no more likely to be pricks than owners of any other car, as I believe Bart has proven with his statements.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-07-2003, 06:18 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 454
During my most recent attempt to sell my 308, I had a gentleman write stating that he was sorry to say that he bought a Porsche 911 instead. He certainly had a very strong hint of remorse that he had gone with a Porsche instead of the Ferrari. He sent me pictures of what I thought was a beautiful, black 911.

I responded by stating that his purchase was one in which he should have pride. Porsche's are fantastic, very enjoyable automobiles with a name that is still one of the great marques.

Sometimes, I think there is too much emphasis put on raw speed. All that matters, in my opinion, is that one is satisfied with the experience of their machine. I had a 1970 MGB GT with which I had a blast. Was it fast? No. Fun to drive? Absolutely.

Again, in my opinion, the worst thing one can do in an effort to advance one's opinion is to make a harsh comment about what one may hold close.
Advance your passion by addressing it, it's values and qualities; not by insulting it's competition. The results of such actions are clear here.

Just my two cents.

Forza Ferrari,

Dane
Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode