Senior Trip - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-05-2015, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 931
Senior Trip

This coming school year I'll be a senior in HS. I've been thinking about saving up for a trip. I've been thinking of maybe going to the Geneva show. It would be a once in a lifetime occasion for me so I'd want to make it special.

Where would you go and what would you do?

Whatever I do I better start saving! I looked up plane tickets to Geneva.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-06-2015, 04:06 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,323
Cutter,
To me, a car show's a car show. Seen one, seen 'em all.
I'd save up and go to Maranello!!

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-06-2015, 06:55 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 111
Maybe you can combine trips/purposes. I took my wife to Europe in 2014 and we went to Ferrari and Maserati Factories as side-trips along the way to our main trip. If you're already in country for Rome, Naples, or Venice (or Tuscany) it is relatively inexpensive to journey out to Maranello. I trust your parents are going because a Senior in High School may have a tough time renting a car. There are also companies like Viator and Tripadvisor that you can look at when planning your trip.

If a car show is your dream, then go for it, but you may be crestfallen because it is just looking at cars all day and very little hands-on. No driving at all! If you go to Paris you can take the Thalys or TGV or SNCF Train to Geneva for a day and walk to the car show from the train station. Then, walk back and do the trip in reverse back to Paris. Much more to do in Paris than Geneva.

Michael G. Washington DC Area - 2010 Ferrari California Nero
2014 Maserati Ghibli (Fabspeed Performance Exhaust & ECU)
2013 VW Jetta GLI (Borla Exhaust, K&N)
2007 Porsche Cayman S (Fabspeed Performance)

post #4 of 6 Old 11-06-2015, 07:31 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
If I were you, I would forget about the Geneva show and think of another one during a better time of year. Geneva is in March - dismal weather usually. In April and May, over the past few years, it has been absolutely been bucketing down in Italy.

I would go in June. Weather's good, and the main holiday season has not started yet. September is also great but a long time away.

Now - how to get about when you have little money and are young? I would go with Interrail. An international train ticket valid all over Europe for little money. It is specifically designed for young people in school and students who want to see Europe on a budget. Interrail: The rail adventure awaits! | Interrail.eu

There are some restrictions but it is quite flexible in terms of the trip you can plan.

You have already seen flying to Geneva is expensive. This is because it is a smaller airport. Fly to one of the capitals (Paris, Rome, Amsterdam) and then take your Interrail to the destination.

Public transport in Italy can be a bit of a mission but you're young and you have time, so see it as an adventure.

Renting a car is not an option, you have to be over 25 to rent in Europe.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #5 of 6 Old 11-06-2015, 09:22 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 111
www.raileurope.com

Jazzy is right - getting a rail pass is wonderful. The trains run on time, you can see many cities and countries for a reasonable price and in a short timeframe, and you can decide where you want to spend your time after you get a blush of each place. Car shows come and go. Detroit is a good one. SEMA in Vegas is this time of year. Both good events and really inexpensive to get to. Plenty of public transportation, and it allows you to save some money for your Spring Trip!

Michael G. Washington DC Area - 2010 Ferrari California Nero
2014 Maserati Ghibli (Fabspeed Performance Exhaust & ECU)
2013 VW Jetta GLI (Borla Exhaust, K&N)
2007 Porsche Cayman S (Fabspeed Performance)
post #6 of 6 Old 11-06-2015, 10:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
You have already seen flying to Geneva is expensive. This is because it is a smaller airport. Fly to one of the capitals (Paris, Rome, Amsterdam) and then take your Interrail to the destination.

Onno
I concur with Onno and add: Don't forget Milan.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode