What would you recomend? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-28-2015, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 931
What would you recomend?

I startd my first quarter of running start this month! For those of you who don't know what it is, it's a program paid for by the state that gives highschoolers (juniors-seniors) the oppertunity to take two free years of community college that is transferable to 4 year schools.

I am taking a two year course that when I'm done I'll have a Associates Degree in Applied Science Automotive Technology.

I need to start getting my tools and equipment. I'm looking for suggestions on a good tool chest that isn't MAC or Snap-on...or anyother box that isn't 5k.

I know we have quite a few DIY mechanics and business owners that probably have some advice.

Last edited by uberschprung; 09-28-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-28-2015, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Anyway to edit the title?
post #3 of 6 Old 09-28-2015, 12:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,872
Garage
I'd recommend a good spell checker

Trust me, I need it too

All cheap boxes are cheap boxes and are generally fine. I have a Craftsman SS box - it does the trick.

For tools, while expensive, I just started buying Snap On and they are worth the cost.

post #4 of 6 Old 09-28-2015, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave rocks View Post
I'd recommend a good spell checker

Trust me, I need it too

All cheap boxes are cheap boxes and are generally fine. I have a Craftsman SS box - it does the trick.

For tools, while expensive, I just started buying Snap On and they are worth the cost.
It's gonna be one of those days

I know the Snap on tools are more than worth it. But with a limited budget I have to pick and choose what I buy from high end vendors.

My budget wouldn't go far if I only bought snap on
post #5 of 6 Old 09-28-2015, 01:20 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,872
Garage
Keep your eyes on ebay and Craigslist. Many people sell used tools - just as good as new. And, let me share a story with you:

I built my house 16 years ago. I needed a lawn mower and something to move snow (250 foot driveway). Also was building a patio in the back yard. So, I bought a John Deere compact tractor for $15K ($2K of that was the snow blower attachment I later sold). So, what I had left cost me $13K. 11 years later I sold it for $9K in 24 hours and people were almost in a bidding war - I could have got $10K easily but I kept my word on ask price.

The moral of the story is quality and name brand retain value. I know you are a young guy, I don't expect you to be able to afford Snap On. But, I would contact them and see if you qualify for any type of programs. If you can swing it and down the road you decided to become a dentist, you will get most of your money back if you need to sell.

Second piece of advice - only buy tools you need today. Don't use up your money on tools you have no current need for (unless you get them used for a song).
post #6 of 6 Old 10-04-2015, 06:13 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
That's awesome. I'm glad that's an option with how ridiculous the cost of education is.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode