Travers Stakes & American Pharaoh - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 08-29-2015, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,004
Garage
Travers Stakes & American Pharaoh

You would not believe what has happened to my place, Saratoga Springs, the town that bills itself as 'The Summer Place to Be', in the last week. It really betgan when Bob Baffert announced that American Pharaoh would be running in the Travers Stakes, the oldest continuous-running thoroughbred stakes race in the western hemisphere, first run in 1864.

I watched the TV coverage Wednesday of the colt arriving at Albany Airport and being transported to the track where he was met by a mob of fans. It is estimated that the City of Saratoga Springs, population in 2014 about 27,500, is now hosting at least 100,000 visitors due to the thoroughbred race meet. Hotel prices have been quadruple or quintuple the norm. I've heard of a $169. room charging $900.

NYRA has capped attendance at the track for today's races at 50,000.

Wednesday the track announced that it would be open Friday morning (yesterday) for race fans to watch American Pharoah's exercise session from 8:45-9:00AM free of charge. I suggested to my wife that we go, just for the fun and history. We arrived on Union Avenue, which the track abuts, at 7:15AM to be sure to park and get in. There was no remaining parking on the streets or elsewhere within a mile of the track. The official word was that over 15,000 fans showed up just to watch the horse gallop one lap of the track. Employees at the track estimated over 20,000. We raced home and watched the warm-up on TV.

Bear in mind that while American Pharoah is the first triple crown winner since Affirmed in 1978, in its entire 151 year history only one Triple Crown Winner has ever won the Travers Stakes, Whirlaway, in 1941!

There is serious history in the making here in a bit over four hours.

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-30-2015, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,004
Garage
the Graveyard of Champions

........'the graveyard of champions' Judith and I watched the race at the bar of The
Wishing Well Restaurant, our hang-out where, as we enter, the bartender is already preparing our signature Bombay Sapphire martinis, up, no vermouth, onions on the side, and await us as we take out seats at the bar.

'The Well' is sufficiently well-known [deliberate pun] and highly regarded hereabouts that the Lees [owners] were expecting Pharoah's trainer Bob Baffert and owner Ahmed Zayat to stop by for a drink and meal some time after we left.

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode