Ferrari Life

Ferrari Life (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/)
-   Driver's Lounge (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/drivers-lounge/)
-   -   Denise McCluggage (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/drivers-lounge/45514-denise-mccluggage.html)

Admiral Goodwrench 05-06-2015 06:53 PM

Denise McCluggage

Sad news, I have been advised that Denise died today in Santa Fe, NM.

Incredible life she led, I believe she will truly be missed by all auto enthusiasts.

May she rest in peace.

Best regards,

tazandjan 05-06-2015 08:02 PM

Admiral- Really sorry to hear that. I know she was a good friend of yours and her Santa Fe Concourse has really turned into a major event. She will be missed. Have followed her since her pink days.

bryanp 05-07-2015 05:57 AM

RIP - Denise McCluggage

4 Attachment(s)
Denise passed away last night. For those who are not familiar with her, she was the grand dame of the automotive sports press in the USA, a friend to all the great drivers back in the day and quite the driver herself - she won the GT class at Sebring in '61. She was one of the founding editors of Competition Press which became Autoweek magazine.

We were blessed in Santa Fe to have her preside over the every-Tuesday "Car Table" lunch at the Santa Fe Bar & Grille, and had guests from around the world drop in for lunch. She was the driving force behind the Santa Fe Concorso which, for a new show, has reached national/international stature very quickly. See had a great sense of humor and did not suffer fools/poseurs!

RIP Denise.
Denise McCluggage: 1927-2015 | Autoweek

papou 05-07-2015 08:12 AM

Simply the very best.

vracer 05-07-2015 11:09 AM

A wonderful lady, and a great writer/ambassador for our sport. I had the pleasure of meeting her once, and reading her many times.

RossoVeloce 05-07-2015 03:34 PM

Very sad to hear. I am sure she was a great inspiration to female petrolheads everywhere, and a great person.

JazzyO 05-07-2015 11:17 PM

I am sad to say that I had never heard of her, but what an inspirational life she led! She will undoubtedly inspire future generations of girls in skiing and motor racing. May she rest in peace.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

tazandjan 05-08-2015 12:35 PM

I had a subscription to Competition Press in the olden days so have followed her for quite a while. She always had a very impressive writing style and driving style. Hard for her to break into the upper echelons because of bias, but she was quick enough to be there. Before all the instant news and internet, CP was the fastest way to get race results.

Granucci 05-08-2015 02:25 PM

RIP: Class act and very fun to read. I've had some email exchanges with her, and very nice experience.

Granucci 05-08-2015 02:26 PM

wetpet 05-10-2015 09:24 AM

1280 Attachment(s)
hey guys, I merged these two threads. Kept the firt one as the link. Sorry to hear the news. never met her, but just got the email from bill warner. RIP.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Admiral Goodwrench 05-06-2016 06:37 PM

It is hard to realize that today it is one year since Denise passed on. When I go to the Santa Fe Bar and Grill for Tuesdays Car Table somehow I still expect to see her there before reality sets in. This poem which contains one of her book titles was almost prescient.

With rue my heart is laden
For golden friends I had,
For many a rose-lipt maiden
And many a lightfoot lad.

By brooks too broad for leaping
The lightfoot boys are laid;
The rose-lipt girls are sleeping
In fields where roses fade.

Rest in peace my friend.

Best regards,

dewa19 05-07-2016 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vracer (Post 625946)
A wonderful lady, and a great writer/ambassador for our sport. I had the pleasure of meeting her once, and reading her many timeshttp://amazingdealuk.info/112/g.png.

yeah,Agreed with you

Admiral Goodwrench 05-07-2017 07:42 AM

It is two years that she has been gone, and now so is her Santa Fe Concorso. She is truly missed.

tazandjan 05-07-2017 02:05 PM

Admiral- Had not heard the Santa Fe Concorso was gone. That is a shame.

Admiral Goodwrench 05-07-2017 02:35 PM

Dear Terry,

Same for the Arizona Concours.

Best regards,

Robert

intrepid 05-08-2017 04:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Admiral Goodwrench (Post 713729)
It is two years that she has been gone, and now so is her Santa Fe Concorso. She is truly missed.

It is still hard to believe, mon Amiral. The below photos were during a road rally from the Saratoga Automobile Museum to a Lake George Club luncheon kicking off the Museum's Fall Ferrari Festival four or five years ago. I'm driving the 412, two cars back is Denise driving the 1967 NART Spider that she drove to a 2d place in GT class in the 1967 Sebring 12 hours. With her in the car was her NART wrench, Francois Sicard. We had lunch together and that evening at the gala dinner I was privileged to be seated beside Denise and John Fitch. What a day for a car nut and tifoso!

Admiral Goodwrench 05-08-2017 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intrepid (Post 713769)
. What a day for a car nut and tifoso!

Dear Seth,

No kidding!

Reminds me that in June 64 at Lime Rock John Fitch lapped me in his Genie and finished 7 places ahead of me.

Best regards,

Robert